Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:01 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Technically speaking one doesn't raise a family for anyone other than oneself. Children are self-gratification. I am not 'dis-respecting' anyone's job but I do have more respect for people who studied long term to do good for other human beings and/or the environment...
I think you find children add more to society than self gratification of the parents.

Just try running a society without children and see how you get on. Ask the Shakers how they're getting on with it?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:48 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Technically speaking one doesn't raise a family for anyone other than oneself. Children are self-gratification. I am not 'dis-respecting' anyone's job but I do have more respect for people who studied long term to do good for other human beings and/or the environment...
WTF!
people who've studied long term also have kids...
are you sure you're not out to get a rise out of a few?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:51 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think you find children add more to society than self gratification of the parents.

Just try running a society without children and see how you get on. Ask the Shakers how they're getting on with it?
I don't think anyone would argue that the planet as a biosphere would prefer less people on it not more - overpopulation is likely to be the biggest destructive issue for the C21 with dire implications for other species, climate change, deforestation, famine and drought ... If we were in a situation in which society/the world in general required people to nurture offspring I would have more respect for that as a role in life....
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:54 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

I don't think anyone would argue that the planet as a biosphere would prefer less people on it not more - overpopulation is likely to be the biggest destructive issue for the C21 with dire implications for other species, climate change, deforestation, famine and drought ... If we were in a situation in which society/the world in general required people to nurture offspring I would have more respect for that as a role in life....
what so we just give up having kids?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:56 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
WTF!
people who've studied long term also have kids...
are you sure you're not out to get a rise out of a few?
No, I just find the ' I raise kids, I study, I have a job, I am a wife... superwoman thing' a bit off as demanding massive respect....
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:21 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you missed the point. Overcrowding doesn't mean that having children is a self gratifying act. Regardless of overcrowding, society gets more benefit from children than parents.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I do have more respect for people who studied long term to do good for other human beings and/or the environment...
He's American, it's all about the money...

If it was about saving lives the health care system would be a hell of a lot better in the US.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Like over-population...
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:41 am

I guess you missed the point. Overcrowding doesn't mean that having children is a self gratifying act. Regardless of overcrowding, society gets more benefit from children than parents.
What benefits does a global society actually accrue from more children? Barring the assertion that little johnny will grow up to discover carbon capture or a way of cloning the final few urang utans ?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:57 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

What benefits does a global society actually accrue from more children? Barring the assertion that little johnny will grow up to discover carbon capture or a way of cloning the final few urang utans ?
I think you'll find that Little Johnny will be paying for your old age pension and health care when you're in your dotage. Without kids growing up to become adults, you're screwed.

Have you any grasp of economics at all?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I think you'll find that Little Johnny will be paying for your old age pension and health care when you're in your dotage. Without kids growing up to become adults, you're screwed.

Have you any grasp of economics at all?
Yes actually, hence on a macroeconomic basis it is clear governments - globally - need to structure policy around population reduction so there will be sufficient arable land and drinking water to feed the earth's people in 20-50 years time because at current growth projections there isn't. Your assertion, pensions and healthcare, is generally the short termist reason western governments are too scared to act. Fundamentally as a human race, we need more death or less kids.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jan 21st 2011 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:54 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Time out....

No one society invented a particular ill, whether it is overconsumption, tyranny, etc. These ills are part of the human condition and they manifest like viruses when a host is weak.

The Germans were susceptible to manipulation post WWI - and look what happened. The American situation occurred post WWII - when the rest of the world had "conveniently" blown each other up (with some help from America) and America was the only economy poised to take advantage of this fact. For a long time we *were* the only major player on the planet - of course, which is why we over-reacted to the Soviets and the communist threat. Now we are finding we are no longer on top by birth right but rather by historic accident, and children who were born during or after WWII are having to adjust to no longer being the automatic rulers of the planet.

Does this mean that there weren't societies before America - and won't be after America is no longer as powerful - who didn't or won't throw their weight around? Hardly.

You'll find that you can only put your point across to people willing to listen and consider it. Bash away if you like, but there are some here who are willing to learn.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Time out....

No one society invented a particular ill, whether it is overconsumption, tyranny, etc. These ills are part of the human condition and they manifest like viruses when a host is weak.

The Germans were susceptible to manipulation post WWI - and look what happened. The American situation occurred post WWII - when the rest of the world had "conveniently" blown each other up (with some help from America) and America was the only economy poised to take advantage of this fact. For a long time we *were* the only major player on the planet - of course, which is why we over-reacted to the Soviets and the communist threat. Now we are finding we are no longer on top by birth right but rather by historic accident, and children who were born during or after WWII are having to adjust to no longer being the automatic rulers of the planet.

Does this mean that there weren't societies before America - and won't be after America is no longer as powerful - who didn't or won't throw their weight around? Hardly.

You'll find that you can only put your point across to people willing to listen and consider it. Bash away if you like, but there are some here who are willing to learn.

i'm with you 1000%.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:15 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Time out....

Yeah but yer from Texas
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:19 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Yeah but yer from Texas
The fact that I'm from Texas means I had *more* to overcome in order to give a shit about the rest of the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.