Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

another thread on whether we can afford it !

another thread on whether we can afford it !

Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of
Default Re: another thread on whether we can afford it !

Originally Posted by annep
thank you for all the comments

I've e mailed re 176 sponsorship and it looks like that's possible, we couldn't afford to go on a 457 due to college fees and medical care etc.

I work full time and husband part time,my wages would be equal that what we have here combined (more or less) and it seems to be swings and roundabouts on cost of living, what you save you spend elsewhere.

We've been researching for six months now but it's really difficult to see exactly how far things are from each other, especially since real estate.com seem to have changed their layout ! the hospital is in fairfield

We live in Nottingham, about half an hours bus ride to the center.
Son will hopefully be driving by then but husband won't be.
In an ideal world we would be within a reasonable commute for me (about 30 mins) and within reach of a decent center for shops (daughter) and college (son) in a nice community for the little ones and husband.
Please tell me this is possible ??

Anne
I work in Fairfield. It's a lovely area but really expensive (don't think you'd get much for under $600,000 - rent would be pretty high too $400 a week plus at a guess.) If you want something within about 30 mins commute and your partner doesn't drive you'd need something on the Hurstbridge train line - Alphington, Ivanhoe, Heidelberg, Greensborough, Watsonia, Eltham - Have a look at Watsonia or Greensborough you may find somewhere to rent there for under $400 and you could probably eventually buy for $400,000 to $450,000. You can walk from the Fairfield station to the hospital (if it's the one I'm thinking about - in the Yarra Bend Park - can't remember it's name) about 20 mins.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salopian
If you want something within about 30 mins commute and your partner doesn't drive you'd need something on the Hurstbridge train line - Alphington, Ivanhoe, Heidelberg, Greensborough, Watsonia, Eltham -
These are all great suburbs. I would also look a little bit further out. I live on the Hurtsbridge line near Greensborough and it's great. Great for schools and colleges as well.
Have a look at Watsonia or Greensborough you may find somewhere to rent there for under $400 and you could probably eventually buy for $400,000 to $450,000.
Unfortunately, there aren't many 4 bedroom houses around here and they are all around the $500/week mark. Eltham seems to have slightly lower rents though but it's a very large suburb, and you'd still probably pay a bit more to be near the train station. Same goes with Greensborough - very spread out and therefore not always easy access to trains...

As for buying a 4 bedroom house for under $500,000, no way!

At the moment, prices have gone crazy in those suburbs. The highest sale in Watsonia until early last year had been around $370k. In the last year, I have seen small unrenovated house go for $400 to $500k and newer houses go for over $700k And I would know, we were looking there most of last year.

Greensborough and Eltham are the same. Houses in a good location (near train and amenities) go for silly prices at the moment.

That's not to say that prices won't go down or at least stabilise by the time the OP is in a position to buy, but I doubt there will be much of a slow down as most people who have been priced out of the likes of Ivanhoe, Rosanna are buying here in droves. I know, we were part of them

Not much help I know, but as I said, things might change between now and when you get to Melbourne...
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:19 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
These are all great suburbs. I would also look a little bit further out. I live on the Hurtsbridge line near Greensborough and it's great. Great for schools and colleges as well.

Unfortunately, there aren't many 4 bedroom houses around here and they are all around the $500/week mark. Eltham seems to have slightly lower rents though but it's a very large suburb, and you'd still probably pay a bit more to be near the train station. Same goes with Greensborough - very spread out and therefore not always easy access to trains...

As for buying a 4 bedroom house for under $500,000, no way!

At the moment, prices have gone crazy in those suburbs. The highest sale in Watsonia until early last year had been around $370k. In the last year, I have seen small unrenovated house go for $400 to $500k and newer houses go for over $700k And I would know, we were looking there most of last year.

Greensborough and Eltham are the same. Houses in a good location (near train and amenities) go for silly prices at the moment.

That's not to say that prices won't go down or at least stabilise by the time the OP is in a position to buy, but I doubt there will be much of a slow down as most people who have been priced out of the likes of Ivanhoe, Rosanna are buying here in droves. I know, we were part of them

Not much help I know, but as I said, things might change between now and when you get to Melbourne...
The most sensible post that I have read on Eltham in a while. Pretty sick of the 'Eltham is dirt cheap' comments, maybe 5 years ago and probably in relation to other more expensive suburbs, Eltham still presents good value. Average Eltham house requiring a bit of work approx $570 - $620k, good Eltham house $680 - $780k, very good Eltham house with nothing to do and good block size starts around $720k and up to the $1m.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:25 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
The most sensible post that I have read on Eltham in a while. Pretty sick of the 'Eltham is dirt cheap' comments, maybe 5 years ago and probably in relation to other more expensive suburbs, Eltham still presents good value. Average Eltham house requiring a bit of work approx $570 - $620k, good Eltham house $680 - $780k, very good Eltham house with nothing to do and good block size starts around $720k and up to the $1m.
I'd echo that...we have mailshots from all the Eltham/Montmorency REA's & have done for the last year...it used to be very reasonable, but I imagine those who can't afford to buy nearer the city are catching on & it's driving the prices up.

Get the kettle on though busterboy, won't be too long now
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
eh? Eltham is the epitomy of established Middle Melbourne. It has always rated.

EDIT Here's a 'realistic' post but without the underlying negative culture - 300k will get you something in some of Melbourne's most 'deprived' areas. Where plenty of proud people live and work.

6 years ago another 50k would get you a lifestyle place in a place like Diamond Creek, or Hurstbridge. Pushing the budget to 400k suddenly opens up possibilities I see.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 1st 2010 at 2:26 am.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...wick-106642909