Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Another petrol rip off

Another petrol rip off

Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another petrol rip off

Drive in, advertised on huge sign $138.9. Fill up, get to register, its gone up #157.9 L.

How the hell do they get away with that. Several other customers complained too, but no give, just continue on with the rip off.

Yes one of the big guys, not some independent station.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another petrol rip off

Why pay it if they were advertising a different price?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
U are paying by credit card, they will not change the price to what was advertised.

So what do you do? break the law and drive off by not paying at all?

Really didnt have time for cop chase through maroochydore
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige

Solutions, its interesting what would people do?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Tends to happen when there is only one operator, They change the price on the pump automatically, then they have to get out to change the board with the fixed numbers and dont find the time, because of a rush of customers trying to beat the oncoming price rise.....it can be an hour before they can get to the board.. . AFAIK It's the pump price that counts. I reckon they should change the signage first personally, but maybe they get their arses kicked by head office if they dont change as soon as the price alteration comes through on the phone.

Unless they had electric signage out the front ?

It's a bit of a liberty.... not sure what the ruling is.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
So what do you do? break the law and drive off by not paying at all?
Don't you look on the pump before you pick up the nozzle?

Saying that, from a quick search this is a petrol station in NSW that was fined for charging a higher price to what was advertised on the board.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:53 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Drive in, advertised on huge sign $138.9. Fill up, get to register, its gone up #157.9 L.

How the hell do they get away with that. Several other customers complained too, but no give, just continue on with the rip off.

Yes one of the big guys, not some independent station.

I usually check the pump before picking up the nozzle, as the servo local to me is notorious for this.

If it happened again, I think I would be tempted to photograph and document the external signage, offer to pay the advertised rate and then leave them my name and address. This way you are clearly demonstrating that there is no guilty knowledge in driving off, and are offering payment, just at the advertised rate. Hence it would be very difficult for them to prosecute you for theft, as you have taken all means necessary to make payment, albeit as advertised. This would work in a civilised country, though in Australia, you may still end up being tasered or shot.

Interestingly, in the UK, for nearly 10 years it was impossible to prosecute somebody for theft of petrol because it was deemed impossible to separate the stolen petrol from the petrol that you went in with, hence there was no 'evidence.' This loophole was rectified in 1978 - but that could have been 10 years of free motoring for those who knew!

S
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I always check the price on the pump, I find I need to as I get confused by all of the different types these days!

Don't think I have ever seen a difference between the pump price and the price advertised on the board.

Many petrol stations do have digital displays now that can be changed from inside the shop area I believe, well in NSW they do. But if it is Queesland this happened in then you have to factor in that they are 20 years behind the rest of Australia.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:31 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jon77
I usually check the pump before picking up the nozzle..

...But if it is Queesland this happened in then you have to factor in that they are 20 years behind the rest of Australia.
I always check the pump price too - and I never go in to the shop, I'm a big fan of 'paywave' at the pump and it always makes me giggle when I look at the shocked faces of other people when I just jump in the car after filling up and drive off! (FYI I'm not sure I've seen 'pay at pump' operating south of the border in NSW? - Only in 'backwards' QLD )
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I did check the price on the pump.

However, after speaking to the manager this morning, I have learnt the price was changed as the pump was in my hand

It did cut in and out and that it appears is when the extra 19c a litre was added.

Quite legal it appears.

Interesting too as the staff told me I should have been watching the board. Its 5 M in the air, about 15 M from the pump and cant be seen from the forecourt.

Still feeling changing the price while the pump was in my hand was slightly dodgy! I suggested they donate the profit they made from me to charity. Result there, $25 gift card on its way to the local animal refuge for doggy food.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Pay at the pump does exist in NSW, but hardly anyone seems to use it.

Well done for getting a bit of money for charity.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

! I suggested they donate the profit they made from me to charity. Result there, $25 gift card on its way to the local animal refuge for doggy food.
Now that's good!

Out of interest, if the price had done it's occasional drop of 15c, would they have charged you the start price or the new price?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:21 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Pay at the pump does exist in NSW, but hardly anyone seems to use it.
I would love to use it, but round by me (NSW Central Coast) I can only see it on the Woolies petrol stations, and you have to have a woolies credit/debit card to do it...

my regular visa does not work
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:30 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Solutions, its interesting what would people do?
I would pay the price on the pump I had used and not a cent more.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did check the price on the pump.

However, after speaking to the manager this morning, I have learnt the price was changed as the pump was in my hand

It did cut in and out and that it appears is when the extra 19c a litre was added.

Quite legal it appears.

Interesting too as the staff told me I should have been watching the board. Its 5 M in the air, about 15 M from the pump and cant be seen from the forecourt.

Still feeling changing the price while the pump was in my hand was slightly dodgy! I suggested they donate the profit they made from me to charity. Result there, $25 gift card on its way to the local animal refuge for doggy food.
As a matter of interest, who told you it was legal? Sounds like bait and switch at the very minimum.

If they wanted to do this right it would be easy. They can switch it so each new pump has to be OKed in the booth. So if they were changing the price on the fly they could stop any new pumping, change the price, then allow new serving at the new price.

In these types of circumstance is usually best to document all you can and make it very clear you are going to get them some bad publicity - that way they will usually give in to keep themselves off "Today Tonight".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.