Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

another fine example of Aus journalism

Wikiposts

another fine example of Aus journalism

Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:08 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default another fine example of Aus journalism

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...7-1702,00.html

"POLICE are raiding the home of Comanchero chief Mahmoud "Mick" Hawi this afternoon as they step up the search for the wanted bikie."

"It is believed Mr Hawi is not home. "

Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: another fine example of Aus journalism

I never was much good at English at school... (rarely got 50% marks)

MS Word grammar checks come in very useful for me, but don't find anything wrong with this.

How should it be written...

Police have just entered the Bexley premises in Sydney's south where they are executing a search warrant.

It is believed Mr Hawi is not home.

Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:23 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I never was much good at English at school... (rarely got 50% marks)

MS Word grammar checks come in very useful for me, but don't find anything wrong with this.

How should it be written...
"Police have just entered the Bexley premises in Sydney's south where they are executing a search warrant.

It is believed Mr Hawi is not home."

What did the search warrant do to deserve to be executed?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Bloke
"Police have just entered the Bexley premises in Sydney's south where they are executing a search warrant.

It is believed Mr Hawi is not home."

What did the search warrant do to deserve to be executed?
Never looked at it like that

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...7-1702,00.html

"POLICE are raiding the home of Comanchero chief Mahmoud "Mick" Hawi this afternoon as they step up the search for the wanted bikie."

"It is believed Mr Hawi is not home. "

Shocking article. It seems to be confused as to what tense to use!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

"Mr Hawi was again expected to present himself to police today for questioning but he has not done so."

lol Just pick a tense and stick with it!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:15 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

the way I first interpreted it was something like this:

"Police will be raiding mr Hawi's home this afternoon, as they step up the search for him. But we don't think he'll be home."

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:49 pm
ABCDiamond

I read it as if it was actually happening at the time they were writing it...

Breaking News
POLICE are raiding the home of Comanchero chief Mahmoud "Mick" Hawi this afternoon as they step up the search for the wanted bikie.

Police have just entered the Bexley premises in Sydney's south where they are executing a search warrant.

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking News
POLICE are raiding the home of Comanchero chief Mahmoud "Mick" Hawi this afternoon as they step up the search for the wanted bikie.

"Not at home", perhaps?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
"Not at home", perhaps?
Too far past my english level, I should ask my wife, but she is not home ....., or should that be; not at home ?

My thinking now is; could it be a difference between Northern English and Southern English as well. I remember having the mickey taken out of me something cronic when I moved South, because of my way of speaking.

I always think that was the reason behind my bad English results, but then again, it could just be me...

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: another fine example of Aus journalism

This often happens. Revisit a "breaking story" over several hours and you'll usually find that it is updated regularly (ie. three lines of basic information becomes three pagraphs of detailed information). It's not uncommon to see grammatical errors in the early editions, but these are usually weeded out over time.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
This often happens. Revisit a "breaking story" over several hours and you'll usually find that it is updated regularly (ie. three lines of basic information becomes three pagraphs of detailed information). It's not uncommon to see grammatical errors in the early editions, but these are usually weeded out over time.
Sky News Australia has the worst grammatical errors that I've ever seen in the media.
I don't think that it's a journalism issue - but it certainly is a proof-reading issue.

I'll try and post a few this week.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:04 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: another fine example of Aus journalism

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Sky News Australia has the worst grammatical errors that I've ever seen in the media.
I don't think that it's a journalism issue - but it certainly is a proof-reading issue.

I'll try and post a few this week.
Ooh, don't talk to me about Sky News! They're bad enough here, let alone Down Under! :curse: