British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Animal cruelty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/animal-cruelty-651817/)

The_Wookie Jan 29th 2010 12:31 am

Animal cruelty

I really don't want this turning into a 'slagging off Oz' thread (who am I kidding right?). But wanted to get people's opinions and experiences.

I've found there to be a fair bit of animal cruelty/lack of compassion to animals over here.

We've had roos being shot with crossbows, roos being shot and left to die in the road, roos with front paws cut off and left to die, roos with ears cut off, baby koalas being shot - and that's only in the past few months.

On top of this I know first-hand of people who have shot cats that wandered onto their property, shot roos and dumped them in the bush because they ate the flowers in their garden, take pleasure in driving over blue-tongues when they're on the road etc.

I know animal cruelty exists everywhere, but I'm staggered at some of the stuff that goes on here.

What are your guys thoughts?

Beachband Jan 29th 2010 12:36 am

Re: Animal cruelty

I heard some crappy stories of quokkas being kicked about in rottnest, maybe people have a sense of annoyance to some animals, maybe the media don't help the matter, don't understand it though.

FiP Jan 29th 2010 12:39 am

Originally Posted by The_Wookie (Post 8292048)
I really don't want this turning into a 'slagging off Oz' thread (who am I kidding right?). But wanted to get people's opinions and experiences.

I've found there to be a fair bit of animal cruelty/lack of compassion to animals over here.

We've had roos being shot with crossbows, roos being shot and left to die in the road, roos with front paws cut off and left to die, roos with ears cut off, baby koalas being shot - and that's only in the past few months.

On top of this I know first-hand of people who have shot cats that wandered onto their property, shot roos and dumped them in the bush because they ate the flowers in their garden, take pleasure in driving over blue-tongues when they're on the road etc.

I know animal cruelty exists everywhere, but I'm staggered at some of the stuff that goes on here.

What are your guys thoughts?

I have noticed this too and find it very shocking and disappointing.

Mipik Jan 29th 2010 12:48 am

Shooting roos with a crossbow or bow and arrows is perfectly fine and legal here. Buying an air rifle is very difficult, buying a 90lb bow is not an issue.

Shooting roos that damage your garden is fine and acceptable.

Shooting stray cats is actually very good for the environment.

Rest of the things mentioned are cases of animal cruelty indeed.

Broad Shoulders Jan 29th 2010 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Mipik (Post 8292082)
Shooting roos with a crossbow or bow and arrows is perfectly fine and legal here. Buying an air rifle is very difficult, buying a 90lb bow is not an issue.

No it's not legal to shoot roos with a crossbow, you have to have a permit

The_Wookie Jan 29th 2010 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Mipik (Post 8292082)

Who mentioned anything about 'legal'? Who said the cats were 'stray'?

And I pity you if you think it's 'fine and acceptable' to shoot an animal because it eats your flowers.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it isn't cruel. Shooting an animal with a crossbow and leaving it to die is very far from 'fine'.

Mipik Jan 29th 2010 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8292091)
No it's not legal to shoot roos with a crossbow, you have to have a permit

Correct on this, you need a permit to shoot them.

copa Jan 29th 2010 1:22 am

Quick .. start carting water to the outback to stop 'roos from dying a slow horrible death...

Broad Shoulders Jan 29th 2010 1:24 am

Originally Posted by copa (Post 8292134)
Quick .. start carting water to the outback to stop 'roos from dying a slow horrible death...

That's nature, not animal cruelty

copa Jan 29th 2010 1:24 am

In some places you can borrow traps to catch any cat that goes onto your property ... you then bring it to the pound and they'll put it down if the owners doesn't claim it in time. Takes a bit longer than shooting it on the spot though.

copa Jan 29th 2010 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8292136)
That's nature, not animal cruelty

knowingly leaving them to die isn't cruel?

copa Jan 29th 2010 1:29 am

in melbourne the other day... cop shooting injured 'roo. Claims of cruelty because he had to shoot it twice...

http://images.whereilive.com.au/imag...0a_resized.jpg

jad n rich Jan 29th 2010 1:36 am

Originally Posted by copa (Post 8292145)
in melbourne the other day... cop shooting injured 'roo. Claims of cruelty because he had to shoot it twice...

The RSPCA pavillion at the ekka shocked me, what is acceptable in animal farming, OMG. Also saw some info on the chicken farming, that was plain horrific, the chickens are forced/fed/stimulated into a deformed state to get the giant sized chicken breast meat you see in supermarkets here, the chickens chest drags on the floor with the weight of it and often the legs cant hold the uneven body weight. There is a shop at Kawana with flyers on it, I didnt take one as my youngest son would have wanted to read it, but it had links to a website etc, will get one next time I am in there alone, its beyond belief.

Lord_Farquar Jan 29th 2010 1:38 am

Originally Posted by copa (Post 8292145)

Why did it have to be shot in the first place?

The_Wookie Jan 29th 2010 1:40 am

I was wondering the same. I'm sure it could have been taken to a vets, and if nothing could be done then put to sleep in a more humane way.