Angelina Jolie

Old May 16th 2013, 2:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Angelina Jolie

I consider the likes of fighting cancer to be a strength, not bravery. The husband 'fought' cancer last year, he wasn't brave. The chemo ****ed his body up, he still wasn't brave, he was strong and just had to do something to ensure he stood a better chance of getting better. If I were in her situation I honestly believe it would be a no brainer to make the same decision. They're just breasts, just another part of my body. I know I'm a woman with or without them. I no longer have a Uterus, doesn't make me less of a woman.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I consider the likes of fighting cancer to be a strength, not bravery. The husband 'fought' cancer last year, he wasn't brave. The chemo ****ed his body up, he still wasn't brave, he was strong and just had to do something to ensure he stood a better chance of getting better. If I were in her situation I honestly believe it would be a no brainer to make the same decision. They're just breasts, just another part of my body. I know I'm a woman with or without them. I no longer have a Uterus, doesn't make me less of a woman.
Wouldn't disagree with any of that, that pretty much sums up many people very well indeed.

But others are different and will need a different approach.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
From my persepctive I think it is brave. When my mum got diagnosed she was given the option of having the same operation. But my mum being my mum she didn't want to tell us she had cancer and she didn't want to tell us about the operation. This was because firstly she didn't want to worry us and secondly she was VERY nervous about the operation.

In the end she did tell us but it was a very hard thing for her to communicate to her family.

Can you imagine dealing with those kinds of issues being on the world stage.

Bravery comes in all kinds of situations. For some with phobias / fears it could be stepping outside the front door or answering the telephone! I have know peope sink to their knees and lock up with terror at the thought of doing such small things, but I have also seen people face up to situations like this.

Bravery cannot be catergorised like being called a 'genious', this probably is over used. I don't feel the same way about the term bravery being over used.

The reality is that many people in their day to day lives are facing up to situations that instill great fear in to them and good on them for facing them, who am I to comment if they are brave or not. Also I don't think the fact she could afford this procedure and others can't adds anything, that is a different discussion.

I do congratulate her on bringing genetic testing for the BRCA gene to the public's attention and showing that it is ok to be a woman minus breasts.

"Being brave is when you have to do something because you know it is right, but at the same time, you are afraid to do it, because it might hurt or whatever. But you do it anyway.”
The difference is Jon that your mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Angelina Jolie has not. She had a mother who passed on the BRCA2 gene which would give her an 85% chance of developing breast cancer and/or ovarian cancer in her lifetime. After having a double mastectomy and hysterectomy she has dropped her risk to approximately 5%.

I do think that it must have been an incredibly difficult decision for a 37 year old woman (who is in the world spotlight) to make. However, I don't see it as brave. Or at least any more brave than my having my gallbladder out because there was a very real chance it would burst and cause my possible death.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The difference is Jon that your mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Angelina Jolie has not. She had a mother who passed on the BRCA2 gene which would give her an 85% chance of developing breast cancer and/or ovarian cancer in her lifetime. After having a double mastectomy and hysterectomy she has dropped her risk to approximately 5%.

I do think that it must have been an incredibly difficult decision for a 37 year old woman (who is in the world spotlight) to make. However, I don't see it as brave. Or at least any more brave than my having my gallbladder out because there was a very real chance it would burst and cause my possible death.
jeessuusss your a hardened lot in here these days Internet forums I tells yer, opinions really are like an arsehole, everyone has one.
Old May 16th 2013, 5:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
jeessuusss your a hardened lot in here these days Internet forums I tells yer, opinions really are like an arsehole, everyone has one.
Tough as nails. (Or in Angelina's case...Tough titties)
Old May 16th 2013, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

I think the operation per se was not brave, but her decision to write about it, to heighten awareness and be subject to the scrutiny i.e. opinions of the rest of the world - was brave.

Also, I would like to add that she didn't call herself brave nor did she ask for that description. Still prefer a person like that (personally) than many of the other so called celebrities
Old May 16th 2013, 8:41 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Already been roundly abused for my comments on her elsewhere but I don't see anything brave about it tbh. She discovered she had an 85% chance of getting a seriously bloody awful disease and made the decision to lower that percentage to 5%. She made a sensible, intelligent decision but brave? Not in my book.
Spot on MP, my thoughts exactly.

She's not the first and she won't be the last.

Respect to her for making the decision though.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:05 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I want to have boobies.
Old May 16th 2013, 11:04 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
I want to have boobies.
Haven't you got moobies?
Old May 16th 2013, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Already been roundly abused for my comments on her elsewhere but I don't see anything brave about it tbh. She discovered she had an 85% chance of getting a seriously bloody awful disease and made the decision to lower that percentage to 5%. She made a sensible, intelligent decision but brave? Not in my book.

Most people just quietly get on with it.
Old May 17th 2013, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

Most people just quietly get on with it.
I agree. I have a friend who had the same thing done but a hysterectomy too for the same reasons. She has a condition which means that her cancer count rises every few months and she has to go for more treatment. She gets on with it all quietly and is very dignified. She has 2 children who are not yet teens and it must be incredibly difficult to keep going sometimes but she does and she doesn't need the world to know about it.
Old May 17th 2013, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
I agree. I have a friend who had the same thing done but a hysterectomy too for the same reasons. She has a condition which means that her cancer count rises every few months and she has to go for more treatment. She gets on with it all quietly and is very dignified. She has 2 children who are not yet teens and it must be incredibly difficult to keep going sometimes but she does and she doesn't need the world to know about it.
Can't believe I'm on a board defending Angelina Jolie but in fairness to her, she wrote about it to heighten awareness of cancer, and cancer prevention methods, not to get applause. I can't believe people can't see that.