Amazon Kindle

Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Originally Posted by Toniri
Hello!

Can someone with a UK bought Kindle3 3G try to access Gmail over 3G (not Wifi) while outside the UK please. Once you have done that please post country and if your atempt has been successful.

It is definitely possible to do that with a US bought Kindle3 3G but so far I just know from one UK Kindle3 3G user who attempted that and he stated that it was not possible with the UK model. He only managed to access Wiki and Amazon over 3G while outside the UK.

I try to figure out if this was a user error or if the UK Kindle 3G has less functionality.

If you test this, please make sure that you try to access Gmail over 3G. Through Wifi it's working fine but this is not helpful in my case.

For everyone who is wondering why this would be needed. Travelling and trekking with a cheap cell phone equipped with local pre-paid SIM cards and a Kindle3 3G is all that would be needed to stay in contact (phone, mail), get news and carry books and music without having to sign any contracts and without being depended on any infrastructure except a power outlet once in a while.

Cheers
Toni
As I understand it they're simply readers, not computers so you can't access email or hold music on them.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As I understand it they're simply readers, not computers so you can't access email or hold music on them.
Yep, they are just for books.....unless there's an extra bit I haven't got!!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:20 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can also be used to swat fly's in queensland
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Can also be used to swat fly's in queensland
Excellent idea! I hadn't thought of that but I guess its light enough....and big enough to fend off the odd giant moth too!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent idea! I hadn't thought of that but I guess its light enough....and big enough to fend off the odd giant moth too!
People keep talking about Amazon Aus and there being less books than in the US but there isn't an Amazon Aus so what are people on about?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:40 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

weeeeelllllllll..............

If you open the menu and choose "Experimental" - you get a web browser and an mp3 player

Browsing the web on the kindle in your country of origin (the one in your account profile) is free. Although its a bit like looking at google on an etch-a-sketch its pretty cool.

So yes you can access you email if its web based - and - you can play MP3 files (audio books, muzak etc)

the magical wonder machine will its powers never cease *

*warning-dont put it in the freezer
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:40 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
People keep talking about Amazon Aus and there being less books than in the US but there isn't an Amazon Aus so what are people on about?
There is an Amazon Australian book store when you are using the kindle - they dont sell hardbooks just the soft e-ones.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spalen

If you open the menu and choose "Experimental" - you get a web browser and an mp3 player

Browsing the web on the kindle in your country of origin (the one in your account profile) is free. Although its a bit like looking at google on an etch-a-sketch its pretty cool.

So yes you can access you email if its web based - and - you can play MP3 files (audio books, muzak etc)

OK, thanks for that. I really haven't had time to play with it properly yet, 24 hour flight next week should give me ample opportunity to explore it a bit more Its done wonders for my luggage this time though, instead of taking back a mountain of books I have more room for Twiglets and Milky Bars with raisins!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

That's cool. Can you answer Toniri's query then?

There is an Amazon Australian book store when you are using the kindle - they dont sell hardbooks just the soft e-ones.
OK, didn't know that, obviously thanks.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:52 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

One problem solved - Amazon won't sell the kindle to an Australian address so that's that!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Not true, I got my Kindle from Amazon to an Australian address. There is a section for international buyers, and you just select Australia in the drop down box
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
One problem solved - Amazon won't sell the kindle to an Australian address so that's that!
The US Kindle or the international version?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melibeam
Not true, I got my Kindle from Amazon to an Australian address. There is a section for international buyers, and you just select Australia in the drop down box
I did that, but when I got to the payment page it said that they won't deliver to Australia.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I did that, but when I got to the payment page it said that they won't deliver to Australia.
To help out I just ordered one to Australia. Worked fine and should arrive in 2-5 days.

You may have already done this but when you choose Australia it brings up a popup box. On that box is a link to the international version on a totally different page.

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 7th 2010 at 1:02 am.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I also ordered the australian power adapter and the leather cover with inbuilt light.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.