Amazon incoming ...

Old Jun 3rd 2019, 11:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon incoming ...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Apparently Point Cook has the highest rate of parcel delivery per head of population in the whole of Australia. Must be a hell of a lot of delivery vans out your way.

What have you been buyng Garry?

BTW there are well over 2000 of these trikes on order about to be rolled out and will be replacing motor cycles over the next 2 years. The Posties prefer them as they are safer and offer some protection from the elements.... they've passed the trials and here they come.
Blimey, the bikes mess up people's lawns enough now, god knows what these trikes will do to them
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Blimey, the bikes mess up people's lawns enough now, god knows what these trikes will do to them

Apparently there's hardly any mail, so most of the future will be door approach. Even in the few months I've been off it's declined dramatically. When I started 20 years back 90pct of our work was letter sorting....now it's down to less than 30 mins a day apparently. Posties still not delivering much Amazon though. Not sure whether the Aus Post contractor vans are or not with larger above 3kg parcels. Guess I'll find out in July when I go back for a while. See if there are any packages on the horizon.... doubt it.

5 new Parcel centers opening in Melbourne...... over 300 new staff being employed at these centers.

Old Jun 3rd 2019, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently there's hardly any mail, so most of the future will be door approach. Even in the few months I've been off it's declined dramatically. When I started 20 years back 90pct of our work was letter sorting....now it's down to less than 30 mins a day apparently. Posties still not delivering much Amazon though. Not sure whether the Aus Post contractor vans are or not with larger above 3kg parcels. Guess I'll find out in July when I go back for a while. See if there are any packages on the horizon.... doubt it.

5 new Parcel centers opening in Melbourne...... over 300 new staff being employed at these centers.
Those damn machines are killing employment.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
They can't install the machines fast enough and competitors cant get anywhere near Aus posts network and infrastructure dominance . As for jobs not so sure,. Post is just getting them of off the retail sector as it declines.

Myers had it for instance
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 1:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So technology is forcing the transfer of jobs, not their loss - Luddite theory confirmed

Winner, winner chicken dinner
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

They can't install the machines fast enough and competitors cant get anywhere near Aus posts network and infrastructure dominance . As for jobs not so sure,. Post is just getting them of off the retail sector as it declines.

I don't know about that. Shopping centers popping up all over Sydney. Sadly I had the misfortune of following the wife around looking for a new dining suite last weekens. We visited shopping centres merely within 10km that I didn't know existed. They were packed. Plenty of workers running around trying to make a sale.

However, even if people are shifting from bricks and mortar retail stores to become part of the online revolution, so be it. Nothing has changed over time. We just shift to where the work is. Unemployment is still very low.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
So technology is forcing the transfer of jobs, not their loss - Luddite theory confirmed

Winner, winner chicken dinner
So true

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Ss85AP2E35TpZ6
Old Jun 4th 2019, 12:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

$5 billion being dropped on upgrading shopping centres in Perth - you would have thought the people stumping that coin up would have done their research
Old Jun 4th 2019, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

$5 billion being dropped on upgrading shopping centres in Perth - you would have thought the people stumping that coin up would have done their research
The high street is turning into cafe's and restaurants. The tangible items are heading to the shopping centres. Those crappy 6 shop, single level park outside in the middle of no where type places are becoming apartments.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is no way we are going to go the opposite way of the rest of the world with this trend. Sure logistics is picking up some of the jobs, but at a much lower ratio than 1-1..... Also Automation in logistics is still in it's infancy. Not sure what impact that will have as the volumes currently are growing faster than they can implement. They've managed to stream the Star track parcels to suburbs in Melbournes North now....They were coming to the whole of our facility (IE: 16 postcodes) unsorted 4 months ago. Equates to 3 hours or slightly more hand sorting labour saved to be exact. Thats almost 1 part time job. Gives you an idea of how slow the machinery implementation is, as the volumes grow by at least that rate every 4 months.

Shopping Malls in decline

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 4th 2019 at 1:33 am.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

There is no way we are going to go the opposite way of the rest of the world with this trend. Sure logistics is picking up some of the jobs, but at a much lower ratio than 1-1..... Also Automation in logistics is still in it's infancy. Not sure what impact that will have as the volumes currently are growing faster than they can implement. They've managed to stream the Star track parcels to suburbs in Melbournes North now....They were coming to the whole of our facility (IE: 16 postcodes) unsorted 4 months ago. Equates to 3 hours or slightly more hand sorting labour saved to be exact. Thats almost 1 part time job. Gives you an idea of how slow the machinery implementation is, as the volumes grow by at least that rate every 4 months.

Sure, but Malls are changing too - lot's more restaurants, bars, laser clinics, cinemas etc (I've seen this in Perth but I'm sure it's the same in Melbourne). The Carousel Mall in Cannington has recently been expanded. The top floor has been given over to leisure facilities with no shops - it's always busy too. I'm sure some malls in America are on the wane but others, those that can be reinvented, will be thriving. Shopping is moving online and there is no stopping it (I buy a ton) but a lot of stuff does not lend itself to being sold on the internet. Would you buy a pair of shoes online? A sofa or bed? Golf clubs? Some shops are gone in the near future - home electronics, travel agents, bank branches, others will survive

As for the jobs, I agree it won't be 1 for 1 into logistics, but the remainder will find something else. It's always been thus and I don't see anything different today
Old Jun 4th 2019, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Had our friend Ahmed Fahour not shifted the business model away from letters, Oz Post was a dead duck, and your redundancy could have been a reality.

And when volumes are growing at such a rate, you don't need to create growth through automation. People are cheap, get them in, get them going. Job done.

The right type of shopping malls in the US are growing. Again, like Oz Post did, the malls that change with the times are going from strength to strength.

Old Jun 4th 2019, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Had our friend Ahmed Fahour not shifted the business model away from letters, Oz Post was a dead duck, and your redundancy could have been a reality.

And when volumes are growing at such a rate, you don't need to create growth through automation. People are cheap, get them in, get them going. Job done.

The right type of shopping malls in the US are growing. Again, like Oz Post did, the malls that change with the times are going from strength to strength.
You've obviously got no idea what your talking about in relation to Post.....

He tried to form another company in order to sell it to Deutsche Post asset stripping as he went. ,Tthe union got the inside information and threatened to expose him to the media. He left with his tail between his legs.

Star Trak the Vehicle he was using to split the company is now being reabsorbed into Post.

The Catylyst for this came when Posties...The ones on bikes and foot Parcel delivery figures weren't included in the work they actually did.

Besides all of that, found out today the official figure for Amazon Delivery via Post is Currently 8pct of Volumes..... Mostly large parcels above 3KG.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 4th 2019 at 8:40 am.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:44 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the problem at the moment is that nobody is really buying anything, since wages growth has flatlined for a decade. And much of that is due to silly housing prices soaking up free cash for no benefit.

Retail shops are going to the wall (as most people have noticed) and Auspost are still terrible at delivery, and aus shops are terrible at pricing, which means online still isn't a big thing in Australia. Frankly the stuff I order online comes from the US or China, and I grit my teeth when it hits Oz shores and it slows to a crawl and disappears into the black hole of auspost.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Most of the problem at the moment is that nobody is really buying anything, since wages growth has flatlined for a decade. And much of that is due to silly housing prices soaking up free cash for no benefit.

Retail shops are going to the wall (as most people have noticed) and Auspost are still terrible at delivery, and aus shops are terrible at pricing, which means online still isn't a big thing in Australia. Frankly the stuff I order online comes from the US or China, and I grit my teeth when it hits Oz shores and it slows to a crawl and disappears into the black hole of auspost.
When the new machine comes in at "Western" which is Hoopers Crossing and one of 5 new centers being rolled out across Melbourne now, you "should" notice a difference. Parcels will bypass the central sorting point at Ardeer now and anything that comes in from Sydney will be going straight to it's region. Somerton opens in circa 6months.... Western not long afterwards. Caviet being They'll also be getting Adelaide and Perth stuff until their machines roll out...

It's all part of this..... 1 Billion dollar upgrade

You want to hope it works, because no one else is capable in this country.... Unless the Supermarkets and their systems (Woolworths and Coles) almagamate and their networks turn to Parcels.... They'd be the closest capable at this stage.

One things for sure, you wont be seeing Drones in any meaningful way for at least 10 years.

Edit... Oh and look closely at that picture, see the cages, if any parcel that isn't wrapped strongly enough to take the weight of all the ones above, then thats how parcels get damaged.

Some people actually throw those parcels into their seperate cages..... not good, I personally have always hated that.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 4th 2019 at 10:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.