Amazon incoming ...

Old Jun 12th 2019, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon incoming ...

Originally Posted by GarryP
I think if you think there's going to be any increase in postage accepted by the public, you've another think coming. Frankly the overcharging is going to have to fall, which is going to mean less money for the humans going forward. Trying to push for more money in the current situation is suicide.

As we covered in the past, a drone or autonomous van can be much more cost effective than a current postie or startrack bod.
What current situation are you referring to? Haven't you kept up. Oz Post turned its business into a parcel delivery service to ride on the back of ever increasing parcel movements. If you've been following Ozzie, a few years back redundancies were inevitable, now they can't find enough staff. Supply and demand, increasing profits and increased productivity = big case for pay rises.

One day there will be some autonomous delivery. So many hurdles (CASA for starters) to overcome to put a predicted year on it. People are cheap. If you are moving forward, people bring in the profits.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was on the news or something last night, the Roads people in Sydney are going to start using drones to fly over traffic snarls to understand more on what they need to do to clear them.

However there were a few catches. Firstly, it needs a CASA qualified pilot, which the roads people are training up. They are not allowed to fly out of sight.

There's a bunch of jobs for qualified drone pilots, its purpose is to speed up traffic flow, time is money = more jobs. No doubt there will be a bunch of other hanger on jobs. Drone selling and maintenance. Drone pilot training jobs. You never know, there might be a few photogrammetry jobs coming from this. Traffic modelling, etc. Maybe flight path navigation for those automated drones that CASA will never allow.

3D city model of Adelaide 2017

Can't see technology killing jobs here.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Coles are releasing this within 3 years....

Old Jun 13th 2019, 8:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I must have missed that Autonmous parcel locker van..... didn't register when I read your post yesterday and it found it's way out of my subconcious overnight.... as I honestly thought during the night I'd come up with something new.

Have you seen that idea put forward anywhere yet.... if not patent it... It will work.
I've seen something like this, from Ford - eg

Obviously, the reason I think it's a go'er for supermarkets in particular is because there's bugger all difference between delivering a box with your shopping, or a parcel of your mail. Given someone else is doing the hard part of making autonomous vehicles happen, all Coles have to do is arrange to make the relevant box available to the relevant person with the smartphone as key. Pretty easy and obvious.

Last edited by GarryP; Jun 13th 2019 at 9:02 am.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen something like this, from Ford - eg

Obviously, the reason I think it's a go'er for supermarkets in particular is because there's bugger all difference between delivering a box with your shopping, or a parcel of your mail. Given someone else is doing the hard part of making autonomous vehicles happen, all Coles have to do is arrange to make the relevant box available to the relevant person with the smartphone as key. Pretty easy and obvious.

I was think more along these lines.... a mobile dual sided version....this way you could deliver out of synch, which is very important in "On hail" delivery. Different size lockers as well.... with the Ford system above you would need many more vehicles than the Aus Post locker system. Your new facility coming to Western will receive at least 2000 ULD's a night each containing at least 200 parcels. Thats just one of the 5 new facilites each with the same capacity..... and thats todays figures. Plus the mega centers at Sunshine North and Dandenong. There are 4 of those Parcel Lockers in Coburg alone.

They are going to need a lot of vehicles, especially for on call "hail me" delivery. Plus with the Aus Post locker type system it solves the issue of non deliverables..... There will be plenty of those, probably 1 in 10 even on hail me systems.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 13th 2019 at 11:52 am.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been talking to my potential SiL who is a mover and shaker at Coles Head Office in Tooronga, about the upcoming start up of their Ocado system starting out of Tullamarine here in Melbourne in 2022. Three years from now....Apparently there won't be any more pickers in the stores around Melbourne for home delivery

There are so many distribution companies in Tullamarine I'm personally incredulous at the capacity of the road system to handle all of this home delivery growth. Coles apparently are going to service the whole of Melbourne with home delivery from this one center. God knows how many vans that is coming out of one center.... but it has to be more than 250 of them.

More traffic snarles coming....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 14th 2019 at 8:45 am.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 1:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many distribution companies in Tullamarine I'm personally incredulous at the capacity of the road system to handle all of this home delivery growth. Coles apparently are going to service the whole of Melbourne with home delivery from this one center. God knows how many vans that is coming out of one center.... but it has to be more than 250 of them.

More traffic snarles coming....
Well, they will be trying to deliver during the day, and after work, so unless their management is stupid, they shouldn't be on the road when they can get caught in traffic snarls and just burn petrol pointlessly.

Old Jun 15th 2019, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, they will be trying to deliver during the day, and after work, so unless their management is stupid, they shouldn't be on the road when they can get caught in traffic snarls and just burn petrol pointlessly.
Consensus is, they wont be able to get the staff.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 4:23 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Consensus is, they wont be able to get the staff.
Yeah, but you are assuming their long term plan is to use people, rather than automation. Personally I'd say the 'job creation' is for the politicians - and they are looking to make the delivery has automated as they are already making the warehouse.

Old Jun 16th 2019, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Didn't we have this discussion already. Ozzie seems to think no one will work at night. I find that hard to believe.

Yeah, but you are assuming their long term plan is to use people, rather than automation. Personally I'd say the 'job creation' is for the politicians - and they are looking to make the delivery has automated as they are already making the warehouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iogFXDWqDak
We've seen this video before. Nov 2017.

This type of robotics is just an enabler. It speeds up the process of putting multiple stuff into one basket, enabling the growth of grocery delivery. It doesn't actually cut jobs - they weren't there in the first place.