Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Amazing price difference

Wikiposts

Amazing price difference

Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:37 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazing price difference

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Well, it's a Panasonic Lumix camera. I'm assuming they're made in Japan, and not the US or UK. Even if they were, it would hardly be a valid reason for charging over twice the amount?

You then of course have the ridiculously inflated of items such as books and computer games.

This thread wasn't intended as a 'Australia is so expensive' argument. More that for this particular item the price here in Australia seemed absurdly above the cost elsewhere.
Well I could have gone into the whole market forces, global economy, import/export tax, demand v supply, product placement and comparable competition arguments as to why it might cost so much more - but I couldnt be arsed!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Well I could have gone into the whole market forces, global economy, import/export tax, demand v supply, product placement and comparable competition arguments as to why it might cost so much more - but I couldnt be arsed!
Please do because I'm genuinely interested as to why an item is $300 more expensive here than in the UK and US, and why other items (as example from Amazulu proves) are cheaper here.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
BTW Amazulu 1TB Western Digis portable harddrives, plugged.... I've seen for 79 bucks recently.
That's good, best I have seen was $89 for a WD 1TB Ext Drive.

Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's a Panasonic Lumix camera. I'm assuming they're made in Japan, and not the US or UK. Even if they were, it would hardly be a valid reason for charging over twice the amount?

You then of course have the ridiculously inflated of items such as books and computer games.

This thread wasn't intended as a 'Australia is so expensive' argument. More that for this particular item the price here in Australia seemed absurdly above the cost elsewhere.
Look at sites that do grey imports. The advantage is that you get Asian prices but they are listed in AUD - at vastly cheaper prices for Aussie stock. Also delivery times are quicker. Who cares about warranty - it is unlikely that anything will go wrong.

I bought our Lumix like this - cheaper than UK price (but not US). If you search on www.shopbot.com.au the grey imports usually list first.

Last edited by Amazulu; Oct 27th 2010 at 5:51 pm.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I know it's been discussed on here before. But once again I'm stunned at the difference in prices between Australia and the US/UK.

I'm looking to get a camera for my wife for her birthday, and the one I've been recommended is in JB HiFi for $570. I've checked it on Amazon in the US where it is $260, and Amazon UK for 200 pound.

Not a chance in hell I'll be getting it here, and Amazon doesn't ship electronic items to Australia so will get it delivered to my parents in the UK and then shipped over.

I just cannot see the justification in that much of a difference in price - crazy!

Could it be this mode lLumix ? Should be able to pick it up for 300 bucks... always haggle. Certainly no more than 320 bucks... and usually there are specials come up regularly which would bring the price down below 300.

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XG54...digital-camera
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

BTW Amazulu 1TB Western Digis portable harddrives, plugged.... I've seen for 79 bucks recently.
I was nearly tempted by a Seagate 2TB desktop drive for under $160 recently.

No need right now so I'll wait.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:52 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Please do because I'm genuinely interested as to why an item is $300 more expensive here than in the UK and US, and why other items (as example from Amazulu proves) are cheaper here.

Well.....Im not a 100% sure but I believe that Panasonic Australia have a monopoly on the sale and distribution of Panasonic goods here. This means that other suppliers cannot import wholesale and as a result the price is driven up as there is no legitimate competition. Panasonic Australia then use the good name of Panasonic to push prices up even further, limit availability and thus make the items more desirable, which means people will pay the extra thus fueling the high product pricing strategy.

Panasonic have copped a lot of flack in the past for this - do a quick google - you'll find stuff!

So as an individual you can source and buy from overseas as you then pay the importation etc - but if you want to buy here you basically have one wholesaler, who allows limited outlets to stock Panasonic Goods.

I think.........

Last edited by ponyrama; Oct 27th 2010 at 5:56 pm. Reason: spelling. doh !
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Could it be this mode lLumix ? Should be able to pick it up for 300 bucks... always haggle. Certainly no more than 320 bucks... and usually there are specials come up regularly which would bring the price down below 300.

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XG54...digital-camera
Nah it's the TZ10

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XG37...digital-camera
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I've got one - an awesome camera.

This is where I got it - $263.00:
http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/ind...chk=1&Itemid=1

I paid more than this.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:26 pm
ABCDiamond

This one ?

Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for those links guys, much more palatable price! Must admit though, I get very nervous of buying from lesser known online sources.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Thanks for those links guys, much more palatable price! Must admit though, I get very nervous of buying from lesser known online sources.
I had no problems with Citiwide.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you get charged any import duty etc?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Did you get charged any import duty etc?
No. Took about a week to arrive. I can't remember if it came from an Australian or Asian address.

My card was charged in AUD.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:38 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I had no problems with Citiwide.
I think you have to bear in mind that many of the online stores source goods from outside of Aus and this may potentially cause a problem if anything goes wrong. I'm sure I read that Panasonic Australia warranty only covers Panasonic goods sourced from within Australia.

But I guess at half the in country price you'd take the risk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.