Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

It amazes me how people react to threads!

It amazes me how people react to threads!

Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Angry It amazes me how people react to threads!

Sometimes, well actually ALOT of the time when reading through posts on a thread on BE I can't get over how people start getting all sensitive and smart arsed when leaving a comment. A simple question might be asked as a recent one ' Can my wife ship her favorite shampoo' and people will start getting arsey with each other - you should do this, you shouldn't do that, Australia has shampoo you know blah blah blah. It's like hello just answer the question -yes or no. Some people can start an argument in an empty room and I think some of them post on BE. And more than once I've been told that people refrain from posting or leaving comments on posts because of the reaction it gets, it's ridiculous.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default Re: It amazes me how people react to threads!

I completely agree, puts ppl off posting, I know it does me!

Bluekipper
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Sometimes, well actually ALOT of the time when reading through posts on a thread on BE I can't get over how people start getting all sensitive and smart arsed when leaving a comment. A simple question might be asked as a recent one ' Can my wife ship her favorite shampoo' and people will start getting arsey with each other - you should do this, you shouldn't do that, Australia has shampoo you know blah blah blah. It's like hello just answer the question -yes or no. Some people can start an argument in an empty room and I think some of them post on BE. And more than once I've been told that people refrain from posting or leaving comments on posts because of the reaction it gets, it's ridiculous.
I disagree, you would get well pissed off if people just posted yes or no.
Everyone has their own opinion, some you will like and some you won`t.
What a sad world it would be for everyone to be the same, I mean you wouldn`t even have discussion forums for a start. ;-)
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
What a sad world it would be for everyone to be the same, I mean you wouldn`t even have discussion forums for a start. ;-)
But If I ask a question I wan't someone to actually answer the question not tell me I shouldn't have asked it in the first place!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with you Suzy, if they haven't got something constructive/helpful to say, don't say anything.

I don't post very often for that exact reason.

I know people get fed up with the same questions being asked but if like myself you use the search button and don't get the exact answer that you want you should be entitled to post your own question without it turning into an issue.

On the other hand some people may have nothing better to do all day than write horrible replies to people
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:53 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

What I can't believe is the thread on supermarkets! Apparently if you're happier with fewer options then you're generally a better person. And what supermarket you choose determines whether you like Oz or not.

And you're not allowed hanker for something you liked 'back home' or it means you're not settling/integrating/are a racist (ok, i made that last one up ).

Maybe the heat in Aus is getting to people??!

tx
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're right, when I go to oz I will be wanting British Cadbury's NOT Australian Cadbury's! it tastes like crap! Did u all get that!

I had quite a few member's trying to tear me a new one with one of my previous threads asking if anyone knew of anybody leaving debt behind. I was the lowest of the low for asking that question!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:08 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

Must admit I found some of the responses on the shampoo thread quite amusing...and I am sure they were meant like that.

I understand what you mean though about some responses. Makes life interesting though!

Some people are more inclined to write things that they would not say face to face. It's pretty much the same on all forums. BE is not all that bad compared to some I visit.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:13 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

you immoral wretch!! Don't you know you're a bad person for even asking the question?!

and put down that British Cadburys, you'll have your Aussie Cadburys and you'll LIKE it!!

(ps i get my parents to bring Cadburys from Ireland and I'm only in London, I swear it's different! )
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:15 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paddy_M
Must admit I found some of the responses on the shampoo thread quite amusing...and I am sure they were meant like that.

I understand what you mean though about some responses. Makes life interesting though!

Some people are more inclined to write things that they would not say face to face. It's pretty much the same on all forums. BE is not all that bad compared to some I visit.
Yeah I had a chuckle too. I think the famed British sense of humour doesn't always translate well in text (esp sarcasm). When they get aggressive I just walk away like I would in real life. Sometimes it's like a road crash though - you can't help being dragged along.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:17 pm
not sure...

Originally Posted by Paddy_M

oh lord yes, you can't take any of it seriously! I'm sure there are more than a few posters who set out just to get a rise out of people. Then there are some who are just tossers...
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedT
Then there are some who are just tossers...
I won't argue with that! or maybe I will..............
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:35 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I think the vein of her post was that there a quite a few replies that are dismissive and intended to be provocative. Not that people have different opinions, that is a good point though. I do think that some threads warrant humour. I would say that going OT is far more flexible than other forums I have experience of.

Good post suzyambrose.

Cooler
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:53 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Totally agree Suzy (& I read the debt thread). I've been put off posting several times on account of some of the stuff I've read & the general negative vibe - there do seem to be some pretty unnecessarily sarky & agreesive peeps about. But then, over time you get to recognise the names, tends always to be the same people stirring sh*t & being horrible, and I've tried not to let it put me off. Cos there is a lot of useful info on here and also some very funny (haha) people floating about once you cut past the less friendly element.
Nice post Suzy
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the positive feedback, IMO a forum's no good if people aren't going to post because of fear of negative comments. Most people can answer question's in a civilised manner but there's a certain few who just wanna piss on your chips!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.