Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Am i responsible for fixing garage door?

Wikiposts

Am i responsible for fixing garage door?

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am i responsible for fixing garage door?

Hi guys, had an email from the rental agents in the uk who look after our house.

There's a problem with the garage door come off the runners, or something in that vein.

They asked if i wanted them to get someone to take a look at it.

shouldn't the tenants by liable to sort a problem such as that as its obviously come off when they used the garage door?
After all, if they smashed a window, it wouldn't be my responsibility to pay for it to be fixed (would it, )

Jazzys
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Melbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really nice
Default Re: Am i responsible for fixing garage door?

Unfortunately my take would be that it would be your resposibilty to fix it (same with any items that would be subject to wear and tear through useage ie. most things with moving parts or electrics / electronics).

A pane of glass just sits there and can't degrade over time.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melbourne bound Mark
Unfortunately my take would be that it would be your resposibilty to fix it (same with any items that would be subject to wear and tear through useage ie. most things with moving parts or electrics / electronics).

A pane of glass just sits there and can't degrade over time.
Thanks for the reply mate, but what would be the situation IF a window got broken?

Jazzys
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
Thanks for the reply mate, but what would be the situation IF a window got broken?

Jazzys
I think it would depend on how it got broken. If it was because they did something then they would be liable to pay for it, but if it was broken after a break in or something, then your insurance should cover it.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:59 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, had an email from the rental agents in the uk who look after our house.

There's a problem with the garage door come off the runners, or something in that vein.

They asked if i wanted them to get someone to take a look at it.

shouldn't the tenants by liable to sort a problem such as that as its obviously come off when they used the garage door?
After all, if they smashed a window, it wouldn't be my responsibility to pay for it to be fixed (would it, )

Jazzys
you have to sort it out unless you prove they were negligent in their use of it - but realistically you still have to sort it out.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spalen
you have to sort it out unless you prove they were negligent in their use of it - but realistically you still have to sort it out.
Funnily enough, my daughter rents a house through the same rental mob. When she moved in the gas fire didn't work. Their reply was "it wasn't advertised with a working gas fire".

My house wasn't advertised with a working garage door!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:44 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, my daughter rents a house through the same rental mob. When she moved in the gas fire didn't work. Their reply was "it wasn't advertised with a working gas fire".

I think your daughter's mob is talking out of its bottom. If there is an appliance there, it has to work and, I would think in the case of a gas fire, be certified as safe by the relevant authority.

When we first left the UK and rented out our house we were advised to remove all appliances (which I was planning to leave for my own conveneince as much as anything else) otherwise we would have to maintain and replace as and when.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:45 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

yeah its a bummer. but if you dont fix it - and they use it more, and it falls off and gets destroyed and you have to buy a whole new one.... thats your fault.

good news is all this is tax deductible as an expense against the income.

I too have always found that letting agents generally are on the side of the other person, regardless of whether im lessor or lessee, even using the same logic in reverse from same company on both sides...nuts. Perhaps its me, I should get some social skills.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:56 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ulitmately its your garage door, and if you are ok with it being broken, its not going to be a breach of the agreement you have with the tenant to fix it. That's why the agent have asked you if you want it seen to and not just got it repaired.

Gas fires are slightly different - gas appliances must be certified as safe- otherwise criminal offence committed, so if the landlord can't produce certificate, gas appliance decommisioned. If broken while let, then it should be fixed by registered gas person.

If window broken by tenant, their job to fix. If broken by unknown vandal, insurance job, or yours if no insurance.

Scotty
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they broke it deliberately, I would have thought it was the landlord's responsibility to fix it: things do break with age and if, for example, it was a tile cracked on the roof you would get it fixed with no question of charging the tenant.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:31 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

In our rental last year the husband 'bumped' into the door and it was offset slightly.We got someone out to fix it.
My point is if they have damaged the door then they should repair it.
If it has just stopped working and you can't prove its the tenants fault I rekon you will end up paying
I would arrange for someone to take a look and if they report that the tenants have caused the door to malfunction then bill them.
Good luck
J x