Wikiposts

Am i past it??

Old May 12th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all
Default Am i past it??

Feel like my life has whizzed by so quickly i find myself calling teenagers 'young uns'. im only 27 and since i was 18 have been at home with my kids, had part time jobs during school times but nothing you'd exactly call fulfilling.

I want to train to do something and get a 'career'. But when i have looked at job vacancies for trainee's or appretice's they are all for school leavers. I understand i will be starting from scratch and working for peanuts but at least i would have achieved something when i was qualified.

Have i left it too late though. with the amount of competition for the vacancies from 'young uns' would i get a look in?? I can feel my soul rotting away sitting in my house day in day out. Hubbys at work and youngest kid is only at school until 1130. their are no chilminders in my area that have spaces for her between 1130 and 330pm so i cant work anyway. had to turn down a full time job as there was no one to look after her (i have no family who can look after her either). hubby wants another baby when we get to oz, or if visas refused another here, but the thought of being stuck at home again for another 4 years really depresses me, and i couldnt have a baby and stick it in childcare 6 till 6. it wouldnt be fair. I want to do something for myself for a change, for last 9 years all i have done is look after house, hubby and kids. but feel im being selfish for it.

sometimes i feel i am destined to just scanning food at asda's like other mums in the playground. (the excitement is overwhelming )

Am i the only one who feels like this??
Old May 12th 2008, 12:59 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am i past it??

Originally Posted by badassbrickie
Feel like my life has whizzed by so quickly i find myself calling teenagers 'young uns'. im only 27 and since i was 18 have been at home with my kids, had part time jobs during school times but nothing you'd exactly call fulfilling.

I want to train to do something and get a 'career'. But when i have looked at job vacancies for trainee's or appretice's they are all for school leavers. I understand i will be starting from scratch and working for peanuts but at least i would have achieved something when i was qualified.

Have i left it too late though. with the amount of competition for the vacancies from 'young uns' would i get a look in?? I can feel my soul rotting away sitting in my house day in day out. Hubbys at work and youngest kid is only at school until 1130. their are no chilminders in my area that have spaces for her between 1130 and 330pm so i cant work anyway. had to turn down a full time job as there was no one to look after her (i have no family who can look after her either). hubby wants another baby when we get to oz, or if visas refused another here, but the thought of being stuck at home again for another 4 years really depresses me, and i couldnt have a baby and stick it in childcare 6 till 6. it wouldnt be fair. I want to do something for myself for a change, for last 9 years all i have done is look after house, hubby and kids. but feel im being selfish for it.

sometimes i feel i am destined to just scanning food at asda's like other mums in the playground. (the excitement is overwhelming )

Me too. It seems as though everyone our age has done something with their life or is sucessful at something and yet, here we are not even sure about what we want to do with our lives.

This is sooo familiar!

I'm in a very similar position to you as I have no-one to look after the kids and I cant aford the childcare as the boy isnt full time yet. Have you thought about looking at college courses? I'm doing 1 night a week at the moment - nothing exciting but it takes my mind off everything else and it's more than what the other brainless ASDA food scanners are doing.

Last edited by Sheff_Sparky; May 12th 2008 at 1:02 am.
Old May 12th 2008, 1:04 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

You know you are getting old when, it takes you all night what you used to do all night

Nev
Old May 12th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all

what sleep???
Old May 12th 2008, 1:08 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

what sleep???
Old May 12th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

I went back to college at 28 and studied with 16 and 17 year olds and to be honest thought many times about quitting but I didn't and now I'm a IT Manager I am still studying but I guess that is just the game I'm in.

If you want it go and get it my OH Eve wants to retrain and I hope she does, I think you must be happy in what you do on a daily basis.

Good luck if you don't have a go you will never know
Old May 12th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

My SIL was a duty manager at a leisure centre. No prospects of further promotion. So she took evening courses in accountancy and now she teaches accountancy at the same college. Even got a promotion a coupe of weeks ago. Started the whole job change at about 38. So no, you're definitely not past it!!!

There's always the OU too for courses. My BIL is doing a Science degree (aged 45), my OH has just finished a maths and stats degree (also aged 45). But they also have entry level courses and diploma courses. The best bit is that if you register for a course in the UK, even if you move to Oz part way through you can still finish it at UK student fees (although you might have to fly back if there is an exam!). A few courses are even offered in Oz now.

I say go for it!
Old May 12th 2008, 6:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

LOL - past it at 27. Bet you cant wait until 30 ?

I retrained at 35 and switched careers. No reason you can't do the same.

Personally, I admire women who are family makers, but why should you do something you don't want to ?
Old May 12th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
Me too. It seems as though everyone our age has done something with their life or is sucessful at something and yet, here we are not even sure about what we want to do with our lives.

This is sooo familiar!

I'm in a very similar position to you as I have no-one to look after the kids and I cant aford the childcare as the boy isnt full time yet. Have you thought about looking at college courses? I'm doing 1 night a week at the moment - nothing exciting but it takes my mind off everything else and it's more than what the other brainless ASDA food scanners are doing.
I was one of those ASDA food scanners, definitely not brainless!!! It was an honest paying job that fitted in with childcare arrangments.
I went back to collage at 28 to get the qualifications I needed for Uni.
Started Uni at 29 and qualified as a nurse at 31
It's never to late to retrain and 27 is certainly NOT OLD
Tracie
Old May 12th 2008, 10:30 am
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Your never too old to learn.Im 38 and just finishing my degree wahooo 1 week and 1 day till im done

I felt like you, kids at school (mine where a lil older then yours) working in a crummy crisps factory so i thought (at 35) i wanna career .So i enrolled for a degree course and here i am.

A lot of employers gladly take on 'maturer' poeple as they know (in my case) there not going to take time off to have kids, have life skills, running house, family and studying at the same time, it really does count for a lot.

So when your lil one is at full time school get yourself back to school... you learn so much about yourself your not just mum or the oh you become you again, well i did anyway
Old May 12th 2008, 1:06 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I say go for it!
Some colleges have creches so childcare wouldn't be a problem.
Or do a short OU course to get you started.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:08 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Definitely not too old. 27? That's still a girl to me - the world's your oyster. Decide what you want to do and go for it!
Old May 12th 2008, 2:20 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

27? Christ, I'm nearly 38 and still working on what I want to do with my life!

A friend of mine who was a lawyer has just re-trained as a teacher. He's 40. Then another friend who works for the CSA in UK has become a pro swing singer....
And I'm still attempting to get my photography off the ground....

I also think that sometimes these things fall into place when you are at your most sorted and happy... with the right backing of your partner behind you.

Life's all about timing, I heard someone say recently, and I think I agree.

PS - Try doing what I'm doing and date someone 20 years older than you.
Old May 15th 2008, 6:24 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally understand where you are coming from, and NO your not being selfish. I was a lone parent and no family around me, i decided there had to be more to life than just sat at home with a young child. I decided to go to college 2 nights a week, i can honestly say it was difficult to complete the course, tend to a child, plus run a home all at the same time but i did manage it and i came out with 3 Diploma's and im now a fully qualified Beautician. I really only did the course because i needed something else to concentrate on and once qualified i could work from home.
(Also i was the oldest person on that course but it didn't matter)
Old May 15th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

I don't think it's ever too late to start studying.

I got a job straight after leaving school, have done very well but without completing any further qualifications....I always knew it wasn't the line of work I wanted to be in (Finance), and have told my OH that i will not be going into this line of work again unless we desperately need me to.

I'm now being made redundant and we're emigrating this summer, and I've been thinking of looking into Midwifery.
I would also like to own a Boutique and design kids clothes, but that's another story! (I even know the name of it and everything!)

I think if you have dreams, you should try to follow them.

Good luck