Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

For all of you with daughters...

For all of you with daughters...

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all of you with daughters...

'Tis hilarious is it not. But hey, it makes us all feel superior so it's worth it!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:11 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Evidently.

The travelling community have a very different culture, and have always done things in a way we would view as OTT.
You should see the traveller graveyards - 10 foot high gravestones with twenty or more golden cherubs and such. Unreal.
But it's always been the thing to flash their money, wearing lots of gold and frills and such. And they do tend to marry young and have more children.

Doesn't make them 'scum' or thieves and my god I'm shocked to see the word 'pikey' still in use towards them.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:13 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
'Tis hilarious is it not. But hey, it makes us all feel superior so it's worth it!
Spot on Rabsody
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:15 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roamer25

Doesn't make them 'scum' or thieves and my god I'm shocked to see the word 'pikey' still in use towards them.
My family are all Irish and I lived there for a long time.
They are universally known as knackers in Ireland so I'm not sure why you're so surprised that they are still referred to as Pikeys here.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:59 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by margy
Chavsville

As my mum used to say "Fur coat, no knickers"
Yep...my sentiments exactly Chavsville
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:24 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Racht70
Yep...my sentiments exactly Chavsville
Well I think they all look absolutely fabulous!

I wish my body was so good I could wear a wedding dress like that!
(It isn't, so I wouldn't, but still)

They must have had such a fab day. If only all weddings were so memorable! I bet they won't forget that so quickly.

My wedding was a big stress, and I got a migrane after it was all over, which lasted another 14 years.

My great grandfather was a gypsy. He was head coachman for a big stately home in Cheshire, where he met my great grandmother. She had his illigitimage child, my grandfather.
As a result, somewhat bizarrely, my father's side of the family believed they carried a gypsy curse and that anything bad which happened was put down to this, rather than bad choices or mistakes.

I'd love to trace that bit of my family. Life for me could have been very different if he'd stayed with my great grandmother.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Well I think they all look absolutely fabulous!

I wish my body was so good I could wear a wedding dress like that!
(It isn't, so I wouldn't, but still)

They must have had such a fab day. If only all weddings were so memorable! I bet they won't forget that so quickly.

My wedding was a big stress, and I got a migrane after it was all over, which lasted another 14 years.

My great grandfather was a gypsy. He was head coachman for a big stately home in Cheshire, where he met my great grandmother. She had his illigitimage child, my grandfather.
As a result, somewhat bizarrely, my father's side of the family believed they carried a gypsy curse and that anything bad which happened was put down to this, rather than bad choices or mistakes.

I'd love to trace that bit of my family. Life for me could have been very different if he'd stayed with my great grandmother.

You are, of course, absolutely right TP. Judgementalism is an awful thing, and I'm glad your migraine's cleared up.

That's a poignant story for a Monday morning. Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Posh and Becks eat your heart out.... now THAT is classy.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Posh and Becks eat your heart out.... now THAT is classy.
But all weddings are a pantomine to some extent, apart from mine of course, which was more of a farce.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Judgementalism is an awful thing, .
Oh come on, I think it's quite enjoyable

(and we all do it whether we care to admit it or not, 'tis human nature)
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:47 pm

You are, of course, absolutely right TP. Judgementalism is an awful thing, and I'm glad your migraine's cleared up.

That's a poignant story for a Monday morning. Thanks for sharing.
I think we all judge. I don't think we can help it...

I'm glad the migraine's over too. I hate those things.

But all weddings are a pantomine to some extent, apart from mine of course, which was more of a farce.
They are, aren't they?! I'm going to plan my next one... My mother took over the first one, bless her.
Saying that, I might not do it again. Once burnt and all that.
I'm not remotely cynical about marriage - which is strange as I thought I might be. I think if you get it right, it can be a really lovely thing to share your life with someone whom you truly love and who loves you back with the same depth and level of commitment, passion and understanding. (whatever type of wedding you have!)

Farce is funny.... what happened?

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Nov 23rd 2008 at 9:52 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm going to plan my next one... My mother took over the first one, bless her.
Saying that, I'm not remotely cynical about marriage. I think if you get it right, it can be a really lovely thing to share your life with someone whom you truly love and who loves you back with the same depth and level of commitment, passion and understanding.
So I take it all is going well with the love life TP great stuff.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:54 pm

So I take it all is going well with the love life TP great stuff.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh come on, I think it's quite enjoyable

(and we all do it whether we care to admit it or not, 'tis human nature)
Stop judging me!

You're right, in that we all do it, to some extent or other. I think it depends a lot on context, and the little internal dialogue that runs in your head whilst doing the judging.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think we all judge. I don't think we can help it...

I'm glad the migraine's over too. I hate those things.

They are, aren't they?! I'm going to plan my next one... My mother took over the first one, bless her.
I'm not remotely cynical about marriage - which is strange as I thought I might be. I think if you get it right, it can be a really lovely thing to share your life with someone whom you truly love and who loves you back with the same depth and level of commitment, passion and understanding. (whatever type of wedding you have!)

Farce is funny.... what happened?

I was being disingenuous, it was in fact a lovely day; very relaxed, no cars, no official photographer, but lots of guests. And I'll second your sentiments about life-long commitments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.