All the Gear

Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by Beoz
Android as an OS is miles out in front now. That's where Apple need to throw their development resources next. Get IOS out of last decade. That and the laptlet. Screw the watch.
Actually I kind of think the phone needs to disappear, absorbed into more distributed devices around the body and home. The watch is part of that (as is glass, etc.) Tango is also in there, and primary aspects are speech interfaces.

However, apple have given up on innovating, so we need to look elsewhere.

I'm not sure google's designers will let them be at the forefront (user hostile) and I'm wondering if Microsoft might arrange are reanimation via their HoloLens stuff.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Actually I kind of think the phone needs to disappear, absorbed into more distributed devices around the body and home. The watch is part of that (as is glass, etc.) Tango is also in there, and primary aspects are speech interfaces.

However, apple have given up on innovating, so we need to look elsewhere.

I'm not sure google's designers will let them be at the forefront (user hostile) and I'm wondering if Microsoft might arrange are reanimation via their HoloLens stuff.
I did kind of think that way but I'm starting to think that an OS ecosystem doesn't necessarily need to be the way forward. Instead apps that are best in breed for task, device, home applicance and working across all OS's seems to be the most likely scenario. Apple's mobile OS is outdated, Android has no PC cred, jury still out on Windows 10 though probably looming as the best attempt but the question still remains, will it be 'the single ecosystem' for business and pleasure?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I did kind of think that way but I'm starting to think that an OS ecosystem doesn't necessarily need to be the way forward. Instead apps that are best in breed for task, device, home applicance and working across all OS's seems to be the most likely scenario. Apple's mobile OS is outdated, Android has no PC cred, jury still out on Windows 10 though probably looming as the best attempt but the question still remains, will it be 'the single ecosystem' for business and pleasure?
We are well past the point where the OS in that sense matters.

A bit of HTML5, a touch of javascript, and you can do 90% of what most people need in a standards compliant way.

Nah, it's down to intelligent action from recognised speech, understanding 3D environments, etc. - that's where the cutting edge is bleeding.

The only interesting wrinkle on that is IoT - which nobody really has a firm grasp on yet. Best I've seen on the area is Vinge.

Meanwhile I want a service that will stop notifying me of Amazon ads, whilst telling me what I need to know. We're still miles away from a good robot Jeeves.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
We are well past the point where the OS in that sense matters.

A bit of HTML5, a touch of javascript, and you can do 90% of what most people need in a standards compliant way.

Nah, it's down to intelligent action from recognised speech, understanding 3D environments, etc. - that's where the cutting edge is bleeding.

The only interesting wrinkle on that is IoT - which nobody really has a firm grasp on yet. Best I've seen on the area is Vinge.

Meanwhile I want a service that will stop notifying me of Amazon ads, whilst telling me what I need to know. We're still miles away from a good robot Jeeves.
I think a unified OS across all devices has legs, as its not been done before. Minority Report does too. Would like to see Google sort their Android OS for the TV and phone together - seems to have been developed without the cross pollination in mind.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 4:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give Apple some cred with the 6. They had a long long way to catch up and they almost got there even if it meant copying tonnes of design features.

Here is a pretty good and balanced article on the S6 and the iphone 6.

Android as an OS is miles out in front now. That's where Apple need to throw their development resources next. Get IOS out of last decade. That and the laptlet. Screw the watch.

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge review: finally, a more beautiful handset than the iPhone 6 | smh.com.au
The IP6 is the first one where Apple have got it close to right IMO. It's a great piece of technology now that they have gone larger. The only thing holding it back is the shitty IOS operating system

IOS is asshat. End of. My wife has an ipad air: beautifully made, light, slim with a great display - top tech. But actually using it effectively - fugedaboutit
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I'm feeling very old....I can't understand most of the language used on this thread now!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I'm feeling very old....I can't understand most of the language used on this thread now!!!
Yes. Translation needed. Perhaps a sticky thread.

I'll start.

OS. Operating System
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 8:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

OS. Operating System
= the stuff that turns refined sand into something that can do useful sh*t

IoT : Internet of Things : Your kettle having an internet address and being able to talk to the shower.

HTML5 : version 5 of HTML : web pages that can do much more than static content, including whole apps.

iphone 6 : apple attempt to catch up with where android was 3 years ago : overpriced tat for fakers and fools.

FullHD : 1920 x 1080 display : the same resolution as your TV.

Think that about covers this page.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

AH: Ass Hat - Apple's real name for IOS (ipad and iphone OS (see above))
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The iWatch.

It will keep the economy ticking over. Uses. Very little.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The phone yes, the watch no

I've had the Note 1 & 2 - both great phones

Currently have the Sony Z Ultra (which I got for $349 at the Sony Store). It's comedy big but so versatile and a bargain for what I paid for it

I got both. The watch is awesome.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a Galaxy Note 4 arrive on the desk. Did my research on this. Was even open minded and considered the Iphone 6 plus. The Note 4 came out on top in just about every aspect except the camera. I do like the 240 fps on the 6 plus, but it just wasn't enough to get it over the line. Put it up against a couple of other Androids too and it came out on top. So here it is. Lets see if lives up to expectation.

Did some 4gx tests at work last week between the iPhone 6 and my Note 4. Note = 155 MBPS, i6 = 85 MBPS. Note 4 wins hands down.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I got both. The watch is awesome.
I stopped wearing watches years ago and I have seen nothing with these smart watches that will tempt me back

Saying that, the technology is only going to get better, as will the battery life
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Did some 4gx tests at work last week between the iPhone 6 and my Note 4. Note = 155 MBPS, i6 = 85 MBPS. Note 4 wins hands down.
MBps or Mbps ???

"And like that, my bandwidth limit was gone"
Old Apr 8th 2015, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is the difference between 155 Mbps and 85 Mbps really that noticeable?

Its probably all the bloat ware and viruses you have on that Apple

Quite enjoying the Note 4 over what I had in the Galaxy 3. One nice little discovery is the quick charge feature. I can go from 3% to 100% in about 25 minutes. Mind you it takes over a day for the battery to go flat even with heavy internet usage. That's without the power saving mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.