All the Gear

Old Jun 7th 2018, 5:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by Beoz
How do you get it free year on year?
Dunno. When I got O365 (no cost via uni) there was something about 1TB Onedrive for free

I assumed that that was the norm?

Mine is nearly full now so will need to find other options although I get unlimited Google Photos storage with my Pixel 2 XL phone
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:00 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

For those still stuck in a Windows/Mickeysoft bent, the newly announced "Surface Go" looks closer to what they should have done back at the beginning. US$399 for a 10" surface laptopulike but the accessories are still overpriced.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...nch-screen-399
Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
For those still stuck in a Windows/Mickeysoft bent, the newly announced "Surface Go" looks closer to what they should have done back at the beginning. US$399 for a 10" surface laptopulike but the accessories are still overpriced.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...nch-screen-399
Perfect. I have been wracking my brain as to what to get my 4 year old for Xmas.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Apple ...... ouch

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/why-i-m-switching-from-mac-to-windows-after-almost-10-years-20180723-p4zt15.html
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 10:53 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the Surface Go is another bust for Microsoft. Underpowered for the strain that Win10 places on it.

https://mashable.com/2018/08/02/micr.../#.Ch4Dax6fOqX
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Looks like the Surface Go is another bust for Microsoft. Underpowered for the strain that Win10 places on it.

https://mashable.com/2018/08/02/micr.../#.Ch4Dax6fOqX
I think the Surface brand is doing pretty well. Certainly better than the Chromebook. And seeing it got off to such a poor start with the first Surface that ran Windows RT, its gone from strength to strength.

Tut tut Garry. When will you learn that technology never stagnates.

It would have been good to know how Office 365 ran. However, it is a little disappointing to hear multiple tabs in Chrome causes lag. This author is definitely an Apply junkie (you can tell by the way the way he always refers back to Apple) so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Will have to test for myself when it hits the Microsoft store. Big Ray thought that he was going to fire up Photoshop on a $400 machine. Good luck Ray.

I certainly don't need one as I have a Samsung Note and a big ballsy laptop and it would just be a waste however I can see a big market for it with kids, old people, stay at home mums, and anyone who doesn't do anything more than surf the net and a bit of Office 365.

And if the power is that weak I am sure GOII will sort that. As always in technology, you don't hold back the release of a product waiting for it to be 100%. What would be the point of releasing new models each year if it was 100% first time round.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 3:34 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I think the Surface brand is doing pretty well. Certainly better than the Chromebook.
???

Chromebook rules the education market. Surface is just a laptop now.

I can certainly see it being in many businesses best interests to pursue a chromebook type model than a Windows one going forward, just from an effective management perspective. DaaS will put another nail in the Windows model.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 5:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Surface brand is doing pretty well. Certainly better than the Chromebook. And seeing it got off to such a poor start with the first Surface that ran Windows RT, its gone from strength to strength.

Tut tut Garry. When will you learn that technology never stagnates.

It would have been good to know how Office 365 ran. However, it is a little disappointing to hear multiple tabs in Chrome causes lag. This author is definitely an Apply junkie (you can tell by the way the way he always refers back to Apple) so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Will have to test for myself when it hits the Microsoft store. Big Ray thought that he was going to fire up Photoshop on a $400 machine. Good luck Ray.

I certainly don't need one as I have a Samsung Note and a big ballsy laptop and it would just be a waste however I can see a big market for it with kids, old people, stay at home mums, and anyone who doesn't do anything more than surf the net and a bit of Office 365.

And if the power is that weak I am sure GOII will sort that. As always in technology, you don't hold back the release of a product waiting for it to be 100%. What would be the point of releasing new models each year if it was 100% first time round.

Surface is good - I'm on my 3rd - but they are somewhat overpriced IMO. The top of the wozza i7/16GB/1TB is nearly 4 grand - excluding keyboard and pen! I recently got the Pro i5/4Gb/128GB (run out) for under $900 (minus TRS), which is a good price but still expensive

I think their original idea for a relatively low cost combo was good but it looks to me that MS have lost the plot a bit
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Surface is good - I'm on my 3rd - but they are somewhat overpriced IMO. The top of the wozza i7/16GB/1TB is nearly 4 grand - excluding keyboard and pen! I recently got the Pro i5/4Gb/128GB (run out) for under $900 (minus TRS), which is a good price but still expensive

I think their original idea for a relatively low cost combo was good but it looks to me that MS have lost the plot a bit
Got a little carried away with how popular is was. It hit the nail on the head in so many areas - you are on your 3rd. Point proven.

They are aiming a version that can do Office 365 and web no problem at a lower cost. People sniff at $1200. They don't sniff at $500. GOII will probably hit that mark.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Got a little carried away with how popular is was. It hit the nail on the head in so many areas - you are on your 3rd. Point proven.

They are aiming a version that can do Office 365 and web no problem at a lower cost. People sniff at $1200. They don't sniff at $500. GOII will probably hit that mark.
By the time you add a keyboard and pen you are looking at $700-800

The 64GB version looks pants. The more expensive model is the way to go
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
By the time you add a keyboard and pen you are looking at $700-800

The 64GB version looks pants. The more expensive model is the way to go
Ah the upsell. Get them in the door then sell them the pen. Yes. Nothing new there.