All the Gear

Old Nov 9th 2016, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We'll see

Everyone walking around with headsets on - not my idea of a normal society
History repeating itself

Old Nov 9th 2016, 3:07 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

While Samsung have been building exploding phones and Apple have been churning out their latest ifashion accessories, Xiaomi have been developing this beauty:

Xiaomi are coming up like a freight train. I've just ordered a new Xiaomi Note 3 Pro for my wife because she's smashed the screen on her existing phone (same model) - just over AUD200 on Gearbest

It's an incredible phone for the money. You get 90% of the functionality of a G7 or IP7 at 20% (or less) of the price. Unless someone else is paying for it, why bother IMO. Despite what it states in the above video, it also comes with an international version of their Android with Google Play already installed

I've missed some of the posts on this thread - this bezel-less Xiaomi is awesome - I may consider buying one.

I agree with not buying an expensive phone - I bought an Asus Zenfone 2 and it has been a cracking phone for less than $300.

S
Old Nov 9th 2016, 4:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've missed some of the posts on this thread - this bezel-less Xiaomi is awesome - I may consider buying one.

I agree with not buying an expensive phone - I bought an Asus Zenfone 2 and it has been a cracking phone for less than $300.

S
That's a good phone, a friend has one

The 3Gb/32Gb Xioami Note 3 Pro (international version) can currently be picked up for under AUD200 delivered
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Got one of these in my Xmas stocking.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/multirotor/multirotor-aircraft/bind-n-fly-15087--1/zeyrok-bnf-yellow-blh7380t1

A lot of fun. Totally manual so needs a lot of practice to get the throttle, rotate and lean movements to work together.

Good practice drone though. It doesn't like the wind.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.itwire.com/home-it/76363-microsoft-surface-pro-5-–-march-2017.html

If the rumours are correct, impressive specs.

As I have been mentioning for a long time, if the laplet can get specs like this, I can ditch the laptop.

Meanwhile, over at Apple ... ouch

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/06/microsoft-is-killing-apple-in-every-corner-what-ive-learned-at-ces-2017/
Old Jan 8th 2017, 8:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
... and on the other hand ...

Microsoft’s OS supremacy over Apple to end in 2017 | Computerworld

Personally I don't think either of them will have an easy time surviving without their vision from their (geeky) leaders. I actually think Amazon might be the only visionary one left...
Old Jan 9th 2017, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
... and on the other hand ...

Microsoft’s OS supremacy over Apple to end in 2017 | Computerworld

Personally I don't think either of them will have an easy time surviving without their vision from their (geeky) leaders. I actually think Amazon might be the only visionary one left...
I am actually surprised that per device shipped, Window's is number 2. Considering just about every human has a mobile phone, and Windows is virtually a non player in the mobile phone market, they shouldn't be there.

Its a bold prediction (the bit that Apple's 10% drop will recover) by Gartner. There isn't anything to back it up so its probably just a few Apple fanbois at Gartner hoping for the best, rather than looking at Apple's development recent history and short term pipeline.

Meanwhile, iOS and macOS -- the latter was formerly dubbed OS X -- sank to 248 million devices in 2016, a 10% drop from the year prior. The cause: Slackened sales of the iPhone, Apple's dominant device and biggest money maker.

Gartner predicted that iOS + macOS, unlike Windows, will recover in 2017. Apple's OSes will climb 8% to 268 million this year, add 3% in 2018 to reach 276 million, then increase another 3% in 2019, with that year's device shipment forecast at 285 million.

Device shipments are down everywhere and you don't buy an OS anymore - it comes with the device.

Good thing for Microsoft they don't rely on an OS to make money and their devices, The Surface, The Surface Hub, Hololens, X-Box, are all popular in their own right.

Last edited by Beoz; Jan 9th 2017 at 3:51 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The theory is that for the iphone 8 apple will pull out the stops and actually deliver a decent phone that competes with the Android flagships - together with the number 8 and the tenth anniversary - meaning a resurgence in demand.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

The theory is that for the iphone 8 apple will pull out the stops and actually deliver a decent phone that competes with the Android flagships - together with the number 8 and the tenth anniversary - meaning a resurgence in demand.
But what does this actually mean in reality? I've not really seen much in the way of new features on phones for a while. And certainly nothing that would encourage me to pay the premium for a fruity product.

I think the Sony Z5 will be my next phone...

S
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But what does this actually mean in reality? I've not really seen much in the way of new features on phones for a while. And certainly nothing that would encourage me to pay the premium for a fruity product.

S
Before you do that, Google "sony phone screen self crack"

Not sure if they have addressed the issue but the Z1, Z2, and Z3 would self crack with heat expansion an contraction. That could be going from the hot sun to air conditioning or leaving it plugged into the charger overnight and battery heats the glass.

The glass in those models was welded to the screen so if the screen cracks, your phone would just be rendered useless, unlike the iphone, which just cracks a lot, but doesn't stop the phone from working.

And, they won't replace the screen, I know from experience.

The BBC watchdog even did a session on this.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:18 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

S
Rumours go
  • OLED screen covering the entirety of the front, with 2.5D curves on the edge (like the S7 Edge)
  • 5.8" screen
  • All glass design
  • Invisible home button/fingerprint scanner within screen
  • 15 foot wireless charging
  • usual better camera and CPU
which would get the fanbois moist and no doubt.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rumours go
  • OLED screen covering the entirety of the front, with 2.5D curves on the edge (like the S7 Edge)
  • 5.8" screen
  • All glass design
  • Invisible home button/fingerprint scanner within screen
  • 15 foot wireless charging
  • usual better camera and CPU
which would get the fanbois moist and no doubt.
Does it have a fan or any air vents to prevent the heat from cracking all that glass?
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

S
I agree. They are all pretty much the same which is why I now buy $200 Chinese smartphones - 90% of the capability at less than 20% of the price
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. They are all pretty much the same which is why I now buy $200 Chinese smartphones - 90% of the capability at less than 20% of the price
There's definitely call for some out of the box thinking with smartphones. I'd like to see it replace other everyday things such as the entire wallet (not going as fast as it should), a tape measure (must be some way of measuring point to point with a single phone), built in totally wireless earphones that dock on the phone when not in use, iron (I threw that one in for fun).

Actually, I just read that the iPhone is 10 today. I didn't have the first one but the 3G was really amazing. Google maps in your pocket, crazy times.

Last edited by knockoff nige; Jan 9th 2017 at 8:35 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
There's definitely call for some out of the box thinking with smartphones.
They hit a plateau a few years back, which is one of the reasons my phone is three years old...

I'd like to see it replace other everyday things such as the entire wallet
You too can give apple a cut of everything you buy.

(not going as fast as it should), a tape measure (must be some way of
Tango

measuring point to point with a single phone), built in totally wireless earphones that dock on the phone when not in use, iron (I threw that one
Apple have demonstrated why that's a bad (and expensive) idea.

in for fun).

Actually, I just read that the iPhone is 10 today. I didn't have the first one but the 3G was really amazing. Google maps in your pocket, crazy times.
The smartphone is something of a swiss army knife, combining:
  • Phone (duh)
  • Camera
  • Camcorder
  • Watch
  • Alarm Clock
  • Rolodex
  • Diary
  • Torch
  • Calculator
  • Dictaphone
  • GPS
  • Compass
  • Music Player
  • Radio
  • Video Player
  • TV
  • Photo Album
  • Portable Games Console
  • Browser
  • Fax Machine
  • Wallet
The only really big missing one I can see is your keys - that should have gotten done by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.