All the Gear

Old Nov 25th 2015, 10:24 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Part of my travel around Aus plan includes taking as much media with me as possible in as small a device as possible. So I'm looking at a 512gb (or larger by the time I travel) Micro SD cards maybe a few of them. Reason, I'll be playing video via kodi on my LG G4 or equivalent which can handle the large SD cards..... . Hopefully outside the Motor home on a mini projector for the local campers... the other thing I have in mind.... Swapping some of my vast media collection for things like freshly caught fish, accomodation, oil, water. etc etc. All of which I'll be able to demo at the press of a screen.
I'd look at one of those travel wifi/battery units that you can put SD cards into, attach portable USB hard disks, and which work as a wifi hotspot/extender, as well as acting as a 8000-10000mAh battery recharger. They are quite cheap, about the size of a packet of fags, and can make sharing comms/media quite a bit easier.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I'd look at one of those travel wifi/battery units that you can put SD cards into, attach portable USB hard disks, and which work as a wifi hotspot/extender, as well as acting as a 8000-10000mAh battery recharger. They are quite cheap, about the size of a packet of fags, and can make sharing comms/media quite a bit easier.
Nice one

Thanks for the advice.

I may well be able to fix people software issues whilst on the road..... Load up new OS's that kind of thing. Depends if I come across people in that situation. So I'll have a whole heap of Software with me as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 26th 2015 at 12:04 am.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
..... and it used 10% overnight while laying idle.

Will do the deed on Saturday. Gonna get a wireless charger too.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Does it not have Marshmallow yet? Doze mode should cut that drain in half at least. It's not a lot of use moving about during the day, but it's purpose made to cut the drain overnight.
10% over 7 or 8 hours is fine. If it is really a problem you could throw it on the power or ultra power saving modes.

Sounds like Doze is designed to fix power drain issues in things like the Nexus.

It's been on 14 hours now. 51%. Today a few calls, email and a bit of web surfing at lunch. I'm impressed.

I did read somewhere that the first day drains faster than the rest.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 10:22 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

10% over 7 or 8 hours is fine. If it is really a problem you could throw it on the power or ultra power saving modes.

Sounds like Doze is designed to fix power drain issues in things like the Nexus.

It's been on 14 hours now. 51%. Today a few calls, email and a bit of web surfing at lunch. I'm impressed.

I did read somewhere that the first day drains faster than the rest.
Doze really is good for cutting virtually all drain in the overnight hours, and it's built in, low level stuff which everyone that gets Marshmallow gets. I think Samsung are supposed to finally get around to updates in Jan.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Doze really is good for cutting virtually all drain in the overnight hours, and it's built in, low level stuff which everyone that gets Marshmallow gets. I think Samsung are supposed to finally get around to updates in Jan.
December. Its kind of strange but it appears Samsung have already built most the features into the Note 5 and I suspect S6.

Finger print
Instant OK Google
RAM management
Doze

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/android-m-features

I guess they didn't want to wait.

On a side issue, I wandered into the Microsoft store today. Nice place.

I have to admit the MS phone OS is the slickest on the market. Shame about the lack of volume in the app store. If it had apps I'd be all over it.

Microsoft Band is quite sweet too.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alf

Got a bit of a battery nailing today. Installed Tracks last night. The Battery part of settings does tell you which app is smashing it. Track uninstalled. Normal service resumes.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/27/microsoft-lumia-950-review/

Microsoft has ambition here. Its a good ambition. I've said before if it works it could really put the sword to the Apple fanboys.

RIP Steve Ballmer. Useless.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Alf

Got a bit of a battery nailing today. Installed Tracks last night. The Battery part of settings does tell you which app is smashing it. Track uninstalled. Normal service resumes.
Got mine this morning. Took ages as the Telstra system was really slow at JBHIFI.

But the good news is that they sold me the wireless charger for $40... sticker price $89.

Busy smart switching all my apps to the 5. Going pretty well so far.

It is a beautiful phone.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Got mine this morning. Took ages as the Telstra system was really slow at JBHIFI.

But the good news is that they sold me the wireless charger for $40... sticker price $89.

It is a beautiful phone.
It's slick.

You use Telstra ....... ouch
Old Nov 28th 2015, 8:52 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Hope it's a special charger for that price. Qi chargers are the kind of thing you can have in a variety of location to give a boost to charge, and they can be very cheap.

The one I use all the time is the Panasonic QE-TM101, which is hard to get (only sold in Japan), but which has XY motors inside to move the coil - so you just throw down the phone and it does the alignment thing itself. Looks sexy.

qe-tm101 | eBay

However if you want to go cheap, there are loads of options, down to the $5 mark :

qi | eBay
Old Nov 28th 2015, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is a beautiful phone.
What's the speed on the wireless charging like?
Old Nov 29th 2015, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What's the speed on the wireless charging like?
Pretty amazing. Seems to be almost as fast as plugged in on my old phone, BUT haven't done a timed comparison yet.

Will let you know during the week, after testing.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hope it's a special charger for that price. Qi chargers are the kind of thing you can have in a variety of location to give a boost to charge, and they can be very cheap.

The one I use all the time is the Panasonic QE-TM101, which is hard to get (only sold in Japan), but which has XY motors inside to move the coil - so you just throw down the phone and it does the alignment thing itself. Looks sexy.

qe-tm101 | eBay

However if you want to go cheap, there are loads of options, down to the $5 mark :

qi | eBay
It is the official Samsung charger.

EDIT: The Samsung fast charger. Does a pretty good job too.

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 30th 2015 at 12:28 am. Reason: Add text.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 4:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

O As you are probably aware, Dick Smith is in financial shit and today they had a bit of a fire sale (have a look at Ozbargain)

Just went at lunchtime and I'd missed out on most of the stuff but got a Nikon S02 point and shoot for $29 - nothing special as a camera but ideal as a Christmas present for a child. Best prices overseas:
Amazon.com $164
Amazon.co.uk: $166
Amazon.de: $173

Australia cheapest in the world yet again

Someone on Ozbargain got a Nikon D5500 single lens kit for $347 after cashback! On Amazon.com it's $1100 (didn't check .co.uk but it will be even more)

Crazy times and goes to show that a lot of bricks and mortar retail is now unviable

Last edited by Amazulu; Dec 1st 2015 at 5:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.