All the Gear

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by GarryP
Just think how many glasses wearers there already are, and the aimpoint eventually is to have this tech in contact lens. If they do launch something next year (as is the claim) then it'll get very interesting - this is lightfield tech. You do wonder if the reason Google dumped their glass tech is they knew they had this in their back pocket.

Consensual reality is where that goes, Vinge covered it in Fast Times at Fairmont High/Rainbows End (which also had delivery drones).

The impact of those will be much greater than just that - likely to negate private car ownership, public transport, taxis, delivery vans, truckers, city centre car parking - and that's that's just the obvious stuff. Also makes electric vehicles the norm rather than the exception.

And nobody seems ready for it.
I don't disagree with any of what it is or what it could be.

Bringing to market will be the challenge. Winning hearts and minds
Old Oct 25th 2015, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine booking a cruise out of Sydney, getting into one of these driverless cars in Melbourne overnight and having a kip along the way. Only to be delivered straight to the ship.... No weight restrictions on luggage, no need to book overnight accom, and the probability of entertainment/food/drinks along the way. The holiday starts as soon as your driverless car pulls up to your front door.

I personally cannot wait for this next step in transport.

There's going to be a massive market in private tracks and roads for people that still want to have the feel of driving.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Oh one question I keep thinking but forgetting to ask.

Does the driverless revolution negate the need for Public Transport ?

IE: do we need superfast trainlinks to up the east coast etc etc ? I can see the need for freight but maybe improving the road system really is the way to go... have a dedicated fast road where these cars and trucks can cruise at 200kph plus ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 25th 2015 at 5:07 am.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:39 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Imagine booking a cruise out of Sydney, getting into one of these driverless cars in Melbourne overnight and having a kip along the way. Only to be delivered straight to the ship.... No weight restrictions on luggage, no need to book overnight accom, and the probability of entertainment/food/drinks along the way. The holiday starts as soon as your driverless car pulls up to your front door.

I personally cannot wait for this next step in transport.

There's going to be a massive market in private tracks and roads for people that still want to have the feel of driving.

IE: do we need superfast trainlinks to up the east coast etc etc ? I can see the need for freight but maybe improving the road system really is the way to go... have a dedicated fast road where these cars and trucks can cruise at 200kph plus ?
Way I see it there's still a place for high speed rail, since I doubt these vehicles will go particularly fast (safety, efficiency, etc.) They do however make a mess of the rest of the metro rail, buses, trams, etc. particularly if you have those maxi-taxi sized vehicles with different people in them going to different places, all pretty much on the same route.

Other thing I worked out last night, it also eventually solves much of the commute issue, since you can turn a 3+3 line arterial road into a 5+1 road at particular times of day - provided every car is under computer control.

As such I expect the main roads/toll roads etc. will go automated-only fairly quickly - particularly if they can raise speed limits as a result.

And you are right, long distance automated cars with lay flat seats will become a thing...
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Look out for the company that releases the first big fleet of driverless hireable/flagfall cars onto the market.... Could be worth investing in. I would think it could be something a car producing company itself could be looking at.

May well need lots of high rise car parks/charging stations as well.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

There's an investment opportunity in high density automated parking on the outskirts of cities. It won't take very long for councils to ban parking in the city centre and commercial parking in the centre is just taking up space that could be better used - hence automated parking on the near outskirts. Charging built in is a no brainer, but you can't have any mucking about with tickets or gates either.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hhmmm. Why spend 10 hours in a car when you can spend 1 on an aeroplane? Unlimited luggage? How much luggage do you really need to go on a cruise?

I can't even see see high speed rail being an advantage where an hour flight can do the job. Where high speed rail works is up to the 600km mark. Any more you fly. Perhaps that's where yoy may look at a driverless bus at some point.

The biggest stopper will be governments. Can't see any regulations being adopted in the near future for fully automated travel. They already park themselves.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:25 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
The biggest stopper will be governments. Can't see any regulations being adopted in the near future for fully automated travel. They already park themselves.
Actually I'd say the biggest problem is lawyers (as per usual).

At present we retain the fiction that if you are behind the wheel, you are responsible for everything that happens - despite that not being the case. As such insurance buffers you against lawyers attempting to steal your stuff on the basis of accidents.

If you move to things being obviously automated, that fiction becomes less and less viable - and now the lawyers are after the car manufacturers to extort money from accidents.

Assuming you get to the stage where automation is safer than human drivers (and we seem to be basically there) then the only real issue is muzzling those lawyers. You can achieve this two ways. Either you get those politicians to change the laws; or as an automated vehicle manufacturer you have a crack legal team to beat up any lawyer that stands against you. Both are viable when you look at the muscle of the companies concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few cases being promoted by the car companies to set legal precedents early on (eg if a human driven car hits an automated car, then the human is always in the wrong).

Politicians will just follow the money, and there are lots of benefits in cost terms to companies being able to get rid of drivers and automate transportation - why do you think there are 'pilots' of these systems on the roads as we speak?
Old Oct 25th 2015, 11:56 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Look out for the company that releases the first big fleet of driverless hireable/flagfall cars onto the market.... Could be worth investing in. I would think it could be something a car producing company itself could be looking at.

Hmmm, not so sure. Look at how taxi drivers have responded to Uber - strikes, assaults, violence, marches etc. I'm sure they will embrace driverless flagfall cars in the same way...

S
Old Oct 27th 2015, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hhmmm. Why spend 10 hours in a car when you can spend 1 on an aeroplane? Unlimited luggage? How much luggage do you really need to go on a cruise?

Be fair Beoz, the actual figure "door to door" CBD to CBD.... for a flight between Sydney and Melbourne would be closer to 3 hours, taking security, check in and travelling to and from airports etc.... and that would be on a good day.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Be fair Beoz, the actual figure "door to door" CBD to CBD.... for a flight between Sydney and Melbourne would be closer to 3 hours, taking security, check in and travelling to and from airports etc.... and that would be on a good day.
This morning I left my house in Syd at 7:30am, had breakfast in the lounge, 9am flew to Melb, arrived 10:30 and was at the hotel in the CBD at 11:15. So closer to 4 hours but still better than 10 hours
Old Oct 27th 2015, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This morning I left my house in Syd at 7:30am, had breakfast in the lounge, 9am flew to Melb, arrived 10:30 and was at the hotel in the CBD at 11:15. So closer to 4 hours but still better than 10 hours

Once these cars are up and running there's a capacity for 4 hours door to door IMO..... Definitely 5 hours. That depends on the law makers rather than the technology which is definitely capable.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Once these cars are up and running there's a capacity for 4 hours door to door IMO..... Definitely 5 hours. That depends on the law makers rather than the technology which is definitely capable.
And roads. Aussie motorways aren't built for 150km/h ++
Old Oct 27th 2015, 4:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

And roads. Aussie motorways aren't built for 150km/h ++

They're barely built for 100...

S
Old Oct 27th 2015, 4:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Gentlemen, you are neglecting that the same automation that can be put in cars can be put in planes. Take your automated car to the local airport and an automated aircraft turns up to whisk you off to an airport close to your destination, where the reverse happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.