All the Gear

Old Oct 18th 2015, 4:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yep, using Uber a fair bit myself. Very happy so far.
Was up in Singapore recently and used them a lot - at times they were a lifesaver. Especially late at night when it can be quite difficult to get a conventional cab

They coexist with the existing taxi industry - not happily apparently but it seems to work
Old Oct 18th 2015, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Was up in Singapore recently and used them a lot - at times they were a lifesaver. Especially late at night when it can be quite difficult to get a conventional cab

They coexist with the existing taxi industry - not happily apparently but it seems to work
Good to know. I'm up there in a few weeks and taxi's can be a bitch to get at times. 6pm during a tropical storm comes to mind.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Good to know. I'm up there in a few weeks and taxi's can be a bitch to get at times. 6pm during a tropical storm comes to mind.
Get an app called GrabTaxi. It integrates Uber and conventional taxis and you can choose the service that suits you best
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

If you are taking a more expensive trip, say to the airport, ask your driver for a discount code. Worked for me when the $28 ride to the airport ended up costing me only $8
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If you are taking a more expensive trip, say to the airport, ask your driver for a discount code. Worked for me when the $28 ride to the airport ended up costing me only $8
Cool. Cheers for the Grab app tip.

Not too fussed about price. More about availabilty. I missed a friday eve flight back to Syd once because it was pissing with rain and I just couldn't get a cab anywhere right on rush hour.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looks like this little article is backing the same horse. Jump on board.

http://m.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/the-surface-book-is-proof-microsoft-can-make-great-hardware-20151022-gkfpzh.html
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

The Surface Book is proof Microsoft can make great hardware | smh.com.au
Great kit but way, way over-priced

You can get the same capability for half the cost
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:59 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The Surface Book is proof Microsoft can make great hardware | smh.com.au
My guess is Magic Leap may well be more the thing, if the tech that they are gearing up to produce soon is anything like the expectations. Jumped up laptops really don't cut it.

Magic Leap is about to build 'millions' of its augmented reality devices | The Verge
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 11:05 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Great kit but way, way over-priced

You can get the same capability for half the cost

My GF's brother has a Surface Pro - it's a very nice bit of kit, but I still struggle to see the utility of a device without a proper keyboard. On screen keyboards still struggle to be any good in my opinion.

S
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
My GF's brother has a Surface Pro - it's a very nice bit of kit, but I still struggle to see the utility of a device without a proper keyboard. On screen keyboards still struggle to be any good in my opinion.

S
Microsoft agrees with you. That's why the iPad is dead and they have developed a proper Laplet.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 1:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S

I like the Surface Pro with snap on keyboard but again, overpriced - the new SP4 even more so

The Surface Book is a whole new beast but insanely priced - the top model is way over $4k!
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
My guess is Magic Leap may well be more the thing, if the tech that they are gearing up to produce soon is anything like the expectations. Jumped up laptops really don't cut it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMHcanq0xM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0-JRa9n94

Magic Leap is about to build 'millions' of its augmented reality devices | The Verge
No doubt, but I think the general masses have a long way to go before hanging devices from their noses. It will come, but in baby steps.

Bit like the driverless cars, its there now, but are we ready to sit back and watch Netflix while our car drives us home?
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Nah. The nanny state won't allow that ...... ever.
No doubt, but I think the general masses have a long way to go before hanging devices from their noses. It will come, but in baby steps.

Bit like the driverless cars, its there now, but are we ready to sit back and watch Netflix while our car drives us home?
I wouldn't be watching Netflix, I'd be having a beer.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I wouldn't be watching Netflix, I'd be having a beer.
The nanny state will never allow that
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 7:01 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Just think how many glasses wearers there already are, and the aimpoint eventually is to have this tech in contact lens. If they do launch something next year (as is the claim) then it'll get very interesting - this is lightfield tech. You do wonder if the reason Google dumped their glass tech is they knew they had this in their back pocket.

Consensual reality is where that goes, Vinge covered it in Fast Times at Fairmont High/Rainbows End (which also had delivery drones).

The impact of those will be much greater than just that - likely to negate private car ownership, public transport, taxis, delivery vans, truckers, city centre car parking - and that's that's just the obvious stuff. Also makes electric vehicles the norm rather than the exception.

And nobody seems ready for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.