All the Gear

Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the Gear

Originally Posted by GarryP
They hit a plateau a few years back, which is one of the reasons my phone is three years old...

You too can give apple a cut of everything you buy.

Tango

Apple have demonstrated why that's a bad (and expensive) idea.

The smartphone is something of a swiss army knife, combining:
  • Phone (duh)
  • Camera
  • Camcorder
  • Watch
  • Alarm Clock
  • Rolodex
  • Diary
  • Torch
  • Calculator
  • Dictaphone
  • GPS
  • Compass
  • Music Player
  • Radio
  • Video Player
  • TV
  • Photo Album
  • Portable Games Console
  • Browser
  • Fax Machine
  • Wallet
The only really big missing one I can see is your keys - that should have gotten done by now.
It's actually much more than what's on your list but the list of useful functions on a smartphone is probably a personal one.

Also, proximity unlocking is already done. I would imagine cars like the Tesla or Farady Future F91 would have similar function. What I would really like to see is Opal travel cards integrated into the smartphone. It's done with the Oyster card in London (although via a linked credit/debit card).
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto although my "ultimate" phone is getting a little tired now, little things like the voice assistant coming on when I'm listening to music if I sit the wrong way and cause some kind of short in the phone jack mechanism. I've switched to bluetooth headphones now and that fixed that annoyance.

BTW the Jabra Step Wireless headphones sound is almost as good at the much more expensive Yamaha EPH100's I own and I thought I would have to spend 100's replacing those... foam tips help.

So how do you replace a LG G3 which I reckon is the best phone ever built. That Sony Z Premium looks like it could do it. I do like a good camera.... Plus it'll take my 200 gb sd card. Both pre requisites in any phone that I replace the G3 with. The Samsung 7 Edge looks good as well, however it's too expensive and not that much better so bang for buck it's not worth it for me. Oh 5.5 inch minimum is the other necessity.

I looked at the Xiaomi mi max, but I'm concerned about the camera and the display resolution... The screen size is really appealing to me though at 6.4 inches. Plus with it's own version of android, i heard that some banking apps wont work on it.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 9th 2017 at 11:03 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ditto although my "ultimate" phone is getting a little tired now, little things like the voice assistant coming on when I'm listening to music if I sit the wrong way and cause some kind of short in the phone jack mechanism. I've switched to bluetooth headphones now and that fixed that annoyance.

BTW the Jabra Step Wireless headphones sound is almost as good at the much more expensive Yamaha EPH100's I own and I thought I would have to spend 100's replacing those... foam tips help.

So how do you replace a LG G3 which I reckon is the best phone ever built. That Sony Z Premium looks like it could do it. I do like a good camera.... Plus it'll take my 200 gb sd card. Both pre requisites in any phone that I replace the G3 with. The Samsung 7 Edge looks good as well, however it's too expensive and not that much better so bang for buck it's not worth it for me. Oh 5.5 inch minimum is the other necessity.

I looked at the Xiaomi mi max, but I'm concerned about the camera and the display resolution... The screen size is really appealing to me though at 6.4 inches. Plus with it's own version of android, i heard that some banking apps wont work on it.
How can anything with self cracking screen issues be any good.

It looks like the Z5 is suffering the same problems as its predecessors.

Google "z5 self cracking screen"
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:00 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
How can anything with self cracking screen issues be any good.

It looks like the Z5 is suffering the same problems as its predecessors.

Google "z5 self cracking screen"

That's a pain in the arse, as the Z5 remains one of the few phones with a proper dual sim slot and an SD slot, as opposed to this hybrid slot garbage that lots of other manufacturers seem to be doing.

Ideally, I would have gone for a Zenfone 3, as I have been very impressed with the Zen 2, but the hybrid sim slot pigs ear is a deal breaker for me.

S
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
That's a pain in the arse, as the Z5 remains one of the few phones with a proper dual sim slot and an SD slot, as opposed to this hybrid slot garbage that lots of other manufacturers seem to be doing.

Ideally, I would have gone for a Zenfone 3, as I have been very impressed with the Zen 2, but the hybrid sim slot pigs ear is a deal breaker for me.

S
You don't need an SD slot any more. We have the cloud.

If you don't like a cloud, get one of these for transferring to USB storage.

My Note 5 has dual sim.

Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:28 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need an SD slot any more. We have the cloud.

If you don't like a cloud, get one of these for transferring to USB storage.

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_380409378_00/1.0x0.jpg

My Note 5 has dual sim.

http://cdn0.soyacincau.com/wp-conten...-top-10-09.jpg

My Zen2 does as well - but the point is that the new models coming through don't - it's a hybrid sim/SD slot. And the cloud is not much use on long haul flights, and yeah, I suppose connecting to a USB drive is a partial solution, but I'm all in favour of having to carry less things with me...

S
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My Zen2 does as well - but the point is that the new models coming through don't - it's a hybrid sim/SD slot. And the cloud is not much use on long haul flights, and yeah, I suppose connecting to a USB drive is a partial solution, but I'm all in favour of having to carry less things with me...

S
Ah ..... for long haul movies extra capacity?

Its a real bugger the Note 7 started exploding. Samsung brought back the SD slot for that.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:38 pm
has lost The Game

Ah ..... for long haul movies extra capacity?

Its a real bugger the Note 7 started exploding. Samsung brought back the SD slot for that.

Movies, music, audiobooks, games etc. I have a 256 GB SD card in my Zen, and I have my entire music collection on it, plus a raft of other stuff to keep me entertained. It was a lifesaver given I just had to endure a 10hr stop over in Beijing - probably one of the world's bleakest airports. Managed to burn my way through all of Westworld.

S
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Movies, music, audiobooks, games etc. I have a 256 GB SD card in my Zen, and I have my entire music collection on it, plus a raft of other stuff to keep me entertained. It was a lifesaver given I just had to endure a 10hr stop over in Beijing - probably one of the world's bleakest airports. Managed to burn my way through all of Westworld.

S
Yep. The expansion is a good asset. No good using the cloud if you aren't on wifi in a foreign country.

That little mini USB was the only way to retrieve data from a Sony when the screen self cracks because it renders the phone useless.

Not bad for plugging the backup drive in when the above situations arise too.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
a tape measure (must be some way of measuring point to point with a single phone)
One of the most useful apps I've used is the spirit level. I've used it to get a shelf level and also when setting up the drones that I've been building

I'm sure a tape measure app is possible
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One of the most useful apps I've used is the spirit level. I've used it to get a shelf level and also when setting up the drones that I've been building

I'm sure a tape measure app is possible
Sure. Taking multiple angles of the source and end should be possible. There's already apps that construct a 3D model of something using multple photos. Same type of algo could be used for measurements.

There's always the Project Tango measuring app.

https://get.google.com/tango/apps/
Old Jan 11th 2017, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meanwhile over at Apple

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-said-to-be-working-on-ar-glasses-with-carl-zeiss-augmented-reality/

Again, late to the party but can they be the first to bring AR to the everyday consumer market.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:00 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile over at Apple

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-said...ented-reality/

Again, late to the party but can they be the first to bring AR to the everyday consumer market.
Magic Leap are supposed to launch this year - so I doubt it.

As it stands I'd assume that Apple are trying to create something in every possible new marketspace they can. They know that the smartphone/tablet market is turning down and they have a cash pile - they need a new winner to keep the shareholders happy. Their iTV thing didn't work, they've realised they are behind the curve on the automated car, so they need a win. Expect an Echo clone by September.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Magic Leap are supposed to launch this year - so I doubt it.

As it stands I'd assume that Apple are trying to create something in every possible new marketspace they can. They know that the smartphone/tablet market is turning down and they have a cash pile - they need a new winner to keep the shareholders happy. Their iTV thing didn't work, they've realised they are behind the curve on the automated car, so they need a win. Expect an Echo clone by September.
We've been waiting for that "Magic Leap" for a while. Bit like the Hololens.

The real question is who can bring the Magic Leap, the Hololens or the Apple/Carl Zeiss AR Glasses to the consumer market the quickest.

The fact that Apple can even mention AR and it hits the mainstream press whereas Magic Leap and Hololens do not is a "win".

You watch, iphone 8 will be a pile of dog shit yet it will still sell billions.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

You watch, iphone 8 will be a pile of dog shit yet it will still sell billions.
Well that's true of everything apple does. Quality is a perturbation on the total sales - there are the fanbois who will buy any and everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.