Wikiposts

Algebra

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:32 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Algebra

Daughter given algebra questions... Haven't done them for so long can't work out how to help her...

Question is:

If 56 is added to 1/4 of my number, the result is the double of my number. What is my number?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:40 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algebra

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Daughter given algebra questions... Haven't done them for so long can't work out how to help her...

Question is:

If 56 is added to 1/4 of my number, the result is the double of my number. What is my number?
56 + (X/4) = X * 2
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
56 + (X/4) = X * 2
Make this simple for a 12 yr old?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I just deleted this version

Last edited by odyssey; Jun 22nd 2011 at 10:49 pm. Reason: too confusing that answer
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

No idea but my daughter and husband are sat at the table doing Algebra right now. Might as well be talking swahili for all I know!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

the key is that x/4=(1/4)x
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

x/4+56=2x
(1/4)X+56=2X
56=2X-(1/4)X
56=1.75X
56 divided by 1.75 = X

so when you go over the equals - divide becomesmultiple, addition subtraction etc

you just move stuff around until you get X on its own on one side of the equation
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
No idea but my daughter and husband are sat at the table doing Algebra right now. Might as well be talking swahili for all I know!

You might find this useful, NB.

Originally Posted by odyssey
the key is that x/4=(1/4)x
Ohhhhhhh, riiiiiiight.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

and usually you would keep it as fractions - not decimals or youll get caught out later but its hard to type fractions in here
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:53 pm

and usually you would keep it as fractions - not decimals or youll get caught out later but its hard to type fractions in here
To think that once I used to enjoy algebra for its logic.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
You might find this useful, NB.

Ohhhhhhh, riiiiiiight.
Thanks mate
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
Thanks mate
Siwezi kusema Kiswahili.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:07 pm

x/4+56=2x
(1/4)X+56=2X
56=2X-(1/4)X
56=1.75X
56 divided by 1.75 = X

so when you go over the equals - divide becomesmultiple, addition subtraction etc

you just move stuff around until you get X on its own on one side of the equation
Super... can you do this one?

If 6 is added to 2 1/2 times my number, the result is the triple of my number... What is my number....?

So I'm thinking 6=2.5 x X ....

then I'm lost.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourselves set up on the free Mathsonline http://www.mathsonline.com.au/ - you can set up a family account and see if you can keep up with your kids. Some local councils offer a free tutoring service via the library. Plus there are all the wonderful internet resources to help us understand our children's homework. Must brush up my algebra and trigonometry too.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Get yourselves set up on the free Mathsonline http://www.mathsonline.com.au/ - you can set up a family account and see if you can keep up with your kids. Some local councils offer a free tutoring service via the library. Plus there are all the wonderful internet resources to help us understand our children's homework. Must brush up my algebra and trigonometry too.
Trigonometry I could understand (and I am sure it would come back) but algebra never ever made it into my brain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.