Alcohol allergy?

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:46 am
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice
Default Alcohol allergy?

Can you be allergic to alcohol
I know people react to it in different ways, but I've never actually heard anyone say that they're allergic to it.
Just wondering, as I definately think I'm allergic! I just can't drink, a few glasses (of wine) and I'm away with the fairies and I feel really ill. It also takes me days to get over it
You could call me a lightweight, but I really think I'm allergic. I have the constitution of a horse normally, I'm no wimp.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol allergy?

If it's a recent development, go have your liver checked out.

I started getting ridiculously drunk on relatively little, and it transpired it was because my liver was buggered - due, the docs assure me, to taking too many painkillers over a number of years rather than booze. I choose to believe them.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:11 am
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seasider
If it's a recent development, go have your liver checked out.

I started getting ridiculously drunk on relatively little, and it transpired it was because my liver was buggered - due, the docs assure me, to taking too many painkillers over a number of years rather than booze. I choose to believe them.
I had my LFT's done a month ago and all's well i have the liver of an athelete
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody that can drink for England?

Not sure then, sorry, although I did say just yesterday on a thread in The Lounge that I think I'm allergic to red wine.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:06 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gorgeousgal
I know people react to it in different ways, but I've never actually heard anyone say that they're allergic to it.
Just wondering, as I definately think I'm allergic! I just can't drink, a few glasses (of wine) and I'm away with the fairies and I feel really ill. It also takes me days to get over it
You could call me a lightweight, but I really think I'm allergic. I have the constitution of a horse normally, I'm no wimp.

mmmmm this sounds familiar to me. I have a problem with alcohol too, it doesn't take long for me to get drunk and if I do i am throwing up for hours, I get the shakes and the trots its awful TMI in know. I'm not sure if its an allergy or an intolerance. I did some research on food intolerance and found that if your heart rate goes up and you get palpitations this is a good sign that its an intolerance and this is what I get so next time you have a drink see how you feel as you drink your first glass.
I know I shouldn't drink because I hate what it does to me but every now and then I will get drunk and regret it the day after when I can't move a few metres from the bathroom.
Poor us
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:41 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am allergic to beer.

It makes all my joints swell up, and they become incredibly painful for a few days. It's agony and not worth it. I've drunk beer only a few times but learnt fast that my body thought it was poison... never again.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Might be something of interest in this wiki .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_dehydrogenase
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I have an allergy to some Chardonneys. Apparently, all oaked Chardonney was, well oaked before it became the tipple of the masses, now because demand for it is huge, some wineries use artificial oak flavour.

It took me ages to work this out as some oaked chardonneys are genuinely oak aged and have no effect on me. It doesn't say on the label what the oaking process is either.

If I drink a synthetic oak chardonney, I start to feel sick after about quarter of a glass and if I drink a whole glass I get a terrible headache and as other posters said, my heart starts to race and I break out in a sweat. I then have a terrible hangover the next day too.

I don't drink red wine because it makes me sick too. (Although I like it.)

Does this describe your symptoms GG?? If so cut out reds and oaked whites.

Last edited by Fly Away; Mar 2nd 2008 at 12:04 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:21 pm
Who's the nanny?

nanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to all

I had my LFT's done a month ago and all's well i have the liver of an athelete

Well give it back then,
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:31 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

You surely can ! Two sips of anything alcoholic and I begin to get a migraine - which can last for up to three days: (there are four common triggers for migraine - alcohol, chocolate, cheese and oranges). This seemed to start when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter - maybe a shift in my metabolism? Whatever the reason, drinking is something I don't do anymore, the resulting pain just isn't worth it.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:49 pm
Who's the nanny?

nanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to all

I had a babysham and a pickled egg once ive never been the same since
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:23 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Might be something of interest in this wiki .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_dehydrogenase
Is there an English translation of that?

I had heard about the genetic thing, and it amazes me how quickly my Chinese friends/acquaintances get drunk or go bright red after a few sips. They really don't process booze well.

My own ability definitely changed around the time my immune system went on holiday.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant futureghost rider has a brilliant future

not to the alcohol, it's the floor i am allergic to
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
This seemed to start when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter - maybe a shift in my metabolism?
Sure thing. My migraines (2 or 3 days 2 or 3 times a month) just stopped completely after the menopause. My mum was the same.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:43 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

I go red and talk shite ... hence the reason I'm off it for March

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.