Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Business Class to Sydney - Any Experiences to Recount?

Wikiposts

Air NZ Business Class to Sydney - Any Experiences to Recount?

Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Air NZ Business Class to Sydney - Any Experiences to Recount?

In a fit of pique I quit my job on Thursday although I will probably move into grovel mode on Monday (despite having legitimate grievances.)

I'm definitely going to Sydney at the beginning of November as I've got a long leave of absence approved. I'm intending to fly both ways via US on Air NZ with stopovers in LA, Honolulu and maybe Auckland too. Cost about £4,000 I reckon. I usually fly Cathay Pacific but I want to see my brother in USA.

I'm just interested in any experiences with ANZ flying this way.

Thanks
David
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:16 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air NZ Business Class to Sydney - Any Experiences to Recount?

I've flown both First and Business with them and found them just fine. Mind you, that was some time ago.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:19 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
In a fit of pique I quit my job on Thursday although I will probably move into grovel mode on Monday (despite having legitimate grievances.)

I'm definitely going to Sydney at the beginning of November as I've got a long leave of absence approved. I'm intending to fly both ways via US on Air NZ with stopovers in LA, Honolulu and maybe Auckland too. Cost about £4,000 I reckon. I usually fly Cathay Pacific but I want to see my brother in USA.

I'm just interested in any experiences with ANZ flying this way.

Thanks
David
We flew ANZ from San Francisco to Adelaide via Auckland. Service was very good.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I've flown both First and Business with them and found them just fine. Mind you, that was some time ago.
They don't have first anymore, only business. It's essentially the same seat as Virgin Upper class. Probably the best bed seat on the trans-Pacific to Aus/NZ.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
They don't have first anymore, only business. It's essentially the same seat as Virgin Upper class. Probably the best bed seat on the trans-Pacific to Aus/NZ.

Thanks very much, alerady made provisional booking - 4 Nov LHR - LAX make my own way to Vancouver, fly on to Auckaldn for another stopover then on to Sydney 29 Nov then back the same way in 2009. £3900 plus.

14 hour flight to Auckland from Van - need that flat bed! may pay more to go via Honolulu.

Thanks again
Dave
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much, alerady made provisional booking - 4 Nov LHR - LAX make my own way to Vancouver, fly on to Auckaldn for another stopover then on to Sydney 29 Nov then back the same way in 2009. £3900 plus.

14 hour flight to Auckland from Van - need that flat bed! may pay more to go via Honolulu.

Thanks again
Dave
I'm guessing you are already a member of some frequent flyer program(s) but if not this would be a good one to credit miles to bmi Diamond Club. Their program is really good for part cash part miles bookings and you can get a one-way back to Aus in business class for about GBP400 + 37500 miles. I did the same on a mixture of Singapore Airlines and Thai a couple of years back. Well worth it!

Your Air NZ flights would probably earn close to 50000 bmi miles.

Last edited by bcworld; Aug 9th 2008 at 10:44 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
Dave
Fly Northwest from LA to Seattle and then hire a car to drive across the border. If you go straight up I5 it's only a couple of hours drive through some really lovely scenery. It's much less expensive than flying from US to Canada. We used to fly out of Buffalo whenever we were going anywhere in the States and saved huge $$. Northwest is a good, cheap airline, too.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:37 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Thanks again
Dave
Have you considered buying a RTW business class ticket? You might find it is a very competitive option compared to booking individual segments yourself.

There is a fare called 'The Great Escapade' and it only includes Singapore Airlines, Air New Zealand and Virgin Atlantic....although you would probably have to come back via Singapore or Hong Kong as generally with RTW tix you have to keep moving in the same direction.