Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Which AFL team did you pick & why?

Which AFL team did you pick & why?

Old May 13th 2006, 8:37 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which AFL team did you pick & why?

I am primarily a fan of football, that which the Aussies curiously call "soccer."

However, I have started to get back into the whole AFl thing, but have yet to pick a team.

Teams I like: Essendon, St. Kilda, Melboure Demons

Possibilities: Carlton, Western Bulldogs

Reserves: West Coast Eagles, Fremantle Dockers, Richmond

Ruled out: Port Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, Hawthorn, Kangaroos, Collingwood.

Teams I hate: Geelong.

So not done too badly all in all.

Managed to narrow down to one of eight teams!
Old May 13th 2006, 10:32 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which AFL team did you pick & why?

Have been told I will be disowned by the family if I choose Collingwood (are these the guys in black and white called the magpies?)

My mate in London supports Geelong - Spent £100 in 1995 to hire a hotel room so we could watch the grand final - biggest loss against Carlton. So dont think I intend to support them - plus mate in Colac supports them and I want to back the team that plays him.

Carlton having finance problems - thought they were supposed to be the snob team?

Hawthorn are my families favourite.

What was the team the Sullivans used to support? (no I'm not choosing based on that - just interested).

Do any of them have cheerleaders?

Kiwi
Old May 13th 2006, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Hawthorn - they always seemed to be playing when World of Sport showed AFL in the 70s & 80s
Old May 14th 2006, 12:27 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

St Kilda....they're local to us

Last year it was the Bulldogs, but never really liked them
Old May 14th 2006, 1:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Mac, i'll give you a tip. NEVER support a team from out of state

Also choose a guernsey who's colours suit you (no one looks good in brown and gold really do they )

I'm a bombers girl. Crap at the mo, but hey i'm a pom and used to the loosing team! However we have got a cracking history with loads of finals under our belts. We are raising a young/inexperienced team at the moment. In a couple of years time we'll be in contension for the flag i reckon
Old May 14th 2006, 1:42 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

I'm a bombers girl. Crap at the mo, but hey i'm a pom and used to the loosing team! However we have got a cracking history with loads of finals under our belts. We are raising a young/inexperienced team at the moment. In a couple of years time we'll be in contension for the flag i reckon
I was picking some friends up from Tullamarine a few weeks ago and they've flown in from Brisbane on the same plane as the Bombers. No special treatment for footy players...they were in economy with my friends
Old May 14th 2006, 5:44 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I am primarily a fan of football, that which the Aussies curiously call "soccer."

However, I have started to get back into the whole AFl thing, but have yet to pick a team.

Ruled out: Port Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, Hawthorn, Kangaroos, Collingwood.

Support you LOCAL team maybe. Where in Melbounre are you?
Old May 14th 2006, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I chose Carlton because the play in blue and there badge is CFC just like the mighty Chelsea
Old May 14th 2006, 6:52 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane Lions. Partly because when I started watching 2-3 years ago, they were the outstanding team and partly because we were planning to move here
Old May 14th 2006, 7:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Which AFL team did you pick & why?

Curious or not, it was you Brits who first called it "soccer."

Soccer is an abbreviation for Association Football. The Football Association was formed in London in October 1863 when representatives of eleven clubs and schools met in an attempt to standardize the rules of the game.

One of the rules prohibited the carrying of the ball, a rule that would lead to the Rugby-oriented clubs leaving the Association several months later. The name Association Football was coined to distinguish it from Rugby.

By 1889, the abbreviation socca' was in use, and the spelling soccer had made its appearance by 1895.
Source.
Old May 14th 2006, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Masadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: Which AFL team did you pick & why?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Soccer is an abbreviation for Association Football. The Football Association was formed in London in October 1863 when representatives of eleven clubs and schools met in an attempt to standardize the rules of the game.

One of the rules prohibited the carrying of the ball, a rule that would lead to the Rugby-oriented clubs leaving the Association several months later. The name Association Football was coined to distinguish it from Rugby.

By 1889, the abbreviation socca' was in use, and the spelling soccer had made its appearance by 1895.
Source.
Don,t arrive in Adelaide until November-ish but from the games i,ve watched on Sky here,its gonna be the CROWS.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Source.
Was going to put out the same thing. And anyway, why is it 'curious' that people in a totally different country call something by a different name to that which you are familiar with? Is it curious that Australians refer to flip-flops as thongs? Ermm .. no..
Old May 14th 2006, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Was going to put out the same thing. And anyway, why is it 'curious' that people in a totally different country call something by a different name to that which you are familiar with? Is it curious that Australians refer to flip-flops as thongs? Ermm .. no..

Ah but you've missed the point.

We're talking about that "great british" game aren't we and you know how the natives love their "footie" It's the most sacred game in the world and people should not mess with any part of it, especially the name
Old May 14th 2006, 5:28 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Ah but you've missed the point.

We're talking about that "great british" game aren't we and you know how the natives love their "footie" It's the most sacred game in the world and people should not mess with any part of it, especially the name
Yea - well - you know my opinion on that particular game Wend.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea - well - you know my opinion on that particular game Wend.
Yep, it's exactly the same as mine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.