Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advice urgently needed!

Wikiposts

Advice urgently needed!

Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice urgently needed!

Hi

I wondered if i might trouble someone (anyone!) for some advice;

My brother is presently in Australia on a sponsored working visa...that's the easy bit!

He has always been economical with the truth, as a kid we excused it as an over active imagination but over the years he has caused a lot of heartbreak within the family (for that reason please read the rest of this with the thought that it is he who has provided the information and the only thing I can confirm is that he IS in Australia as he visited an uncle of ours)

He went out on a sponsored working visa but left the company shortly after arriving. He then got a sponsored working visa with another company.(I understood it was very difficult to get a sponsored visa - he works with computers)

The next we hear is that he has been diagnosed with TB and is being allowed to stay as it was not diagnosed before he left the UK

Today is my Dad's birthday and my brother has emailed dad to say Happy Birthday and.....
that he has been laid off work until the intensive first 3 months treatment has finished
he cannot return to the UK as he will invalidate his sponsored working visa
and can dad lend him £1900 to tie him over until he can return to work

Even from the other side of the world this smells a bit fishy to me!?

Any thoughts or observations gratefully received
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice urgently needed!

Originally Posted by November11
Hi

My brother is presently in Australia on a sponsored working visa...that's the easy bit!

He has always been economical with the truth, as a kid we excused it as an over active imagination but over the years he has caused a lot of heartbreak within the family (for that reason please read the rest of this with the thought that it is he who has provided the information and the only thing I can confirm is that he IS in Australia as he visited an uncle of ours)

He went out on a sponsored working visa but left the company shortly after arriving. He then got a sponsored working visa with another company.(I understood it was very difficult to get a sponsored visa - he works with computers)

The next we hear is that he has been diagnosed with TB and is being allowed to stay as it was not diagnosed before he left the UK

Today is my Dad's birthday and my brother has emailed dad to say Happy Birthday and.....
that he has been laid off work until the intensive first 3 months treatment has finished

TB meds are expensive. How long does he reckon he'll be on treatment for? I've got the regime here next to me. Oh yeah, where is his TB? Presumably pulmonary?

Oz employment contracts are a mind of their own....he may only have 10 days sick leave entitlement.

Is he SURE that coming back to the UK would invalidate his visa?

Would your dad be in a position to lend him the money to pay for the treatment? On production of (verifiable) invoices/receipts from pharmacies etc.

Tricky one - my heart goes out to you.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

chippie..ste is an unknown quantity at this point

the silence speaks volumes!
if you didnt trust him then why do it now,and whats more important to this guy the visa or his health?

good luck
steve......
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:19 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sounds extremely fishy to me. If he had left his first job that would only give him 28 days to be sponsored with his new employer - not easy. Secondly leaving the country on a Sponsored working visa (possibly 457) isnt a problem at all - he is free to come and go as he likes (as long as he is still fulfilling his contract with his employer!).
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I can only say go with your gut feeling. You are obviously concerned or you wouldn't have posted....! At best if you have the money to spare mebe someone should come out to 'be with him' during the treatment and then you will know for sure one way or the other.

S
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I would suspect the TB bit.

Here is something from NSW Govt Health dept http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/health-...ions/3450.html

From Vic Health http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/d...s/tb_facts.htm and http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/bluebook/myco_tb.htm

If you go googling, you should find lots of info on TB
Old Jun 17th 2006, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for all your replies, they are much appreciated.

It is a horrible feeling not to trust a member of the family, especially at a time that they may need you most.

I felt I had to voice my concerns as I have seen my Mum and Dad suffer both emotionally and financially over the years

Thanks again everyone