Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

advice needed for sail boats

advice needed for sail boats

Old May 9th 2009, 9:20 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default advice needed for sail boats

any of you guys sail and own your own boat?,
what i`m after is advice re sailer trailers or permantley in the water sailboat

is it better to limit yourself to a 20ft boat that ca be taken home at the end of the weekend or is it unrealistic and perhaps i should be looking at berths or moorings?? ( they just seem so bloody expensive 500 to 800 bucks a month )
Old May 9th 2009, 10:10 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed for sail boats

Originally Posted by steve`o
any of you guys sail and own your own boat?,
what i`m after is advice re sailer trailers or permantley in the water sailboat

is it better to limit yourself to a 20ft boat that ca be taken home at the end of the weekend or is it unrealistic and perhaps i should be looking at berths or moorings?? ( they just seem so bloody expensive 500 to 800 bucks a month )
You could buy a berth, the repayments are probably less than the monthly fee and you might be able to sell in the future.

On the whole though it seems to me that it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. If you're in the water it's expensive and then you have to get the boat careened every year which can prove costly depending on how many contractors you have access to. On the other hand, launching every weekend will drive you nuts.

A buoy mooring might be an option depending on where you are. Or you could move to a property with a mooring if you can afford it and such properties are available. Or at least move close to a public launch ramp.

If it's just sailing you want to do the other option, of course, is to join a yacht club.
Old May 10th 2009, 5:44 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

I've recently passed my basic sailing cert .....great fun mucking about on a blaser,its a 21 ft trailer sailer .
Took course at the southport yacht club , i also want to get into sailing! have just managed to buy a secondhand laser dingy from the sunshine coast...cost me $1500 plus the trailer...extra $500.
Going to use this at a lake not far from me,near cabarita (tweed coast)
good boat to gain experience on....they say if you can sail a laser you can sail anything.
Hope one day to buy a weekender to use up on the islands , i too think its a hard one to decide....at least with a trailer sailer you can take it anywhere and park it outside the house....!

all the best plumb.....
Old May 10th 2009, 7:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When we did our motor boat licence, we did it with a couple who lived up Runaway Bay way who had joined a club where you put money in and had the choice of loads of different boats whenever you wanted, both motor and sail. Said it was way cheaper than owning their own boat and they got to use all manner of classes. Don't know more than that though.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:34 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

I've got into sailing since being here, and had some fun in dinghy's, racing catamarans and some bigger cruising yachts. Got my basic sailing & competent crew certificates & looking at going off and crewing on a yacht (maybe to PNG or NZ). Like yourself, Steve, I've thought about whether to buy a trailer sailer or something bigger moored up and the pro's & cons of both types, and heres some of what I came up with:

Trailer Sailer - 20ft
Pro's:
Not confined to sailing in one area/state. You can hook it up & take it to the coast or a lake. No costs involved in storage when not using.

Cons:
Limited if you wanted to do an extended cruise, or get out into the ocean.
Security outside when parked up on the trailer. Have to go through the rigmarole of launching every time you want to use it. Not too stable when sailing.

Keel boat - 30ft+
Pro's:
Can take on extended cruises. No hassle of launching every time. Can go out to the local yacht club, have a few beers and sleep onboard. Much harder to capsize than a dinghy! Easier to single-hand when set up correctly.

Con's:
Cost of mooring and upkeep.

I've decided that when I've got more experience from crewing on other people's boats and then saved up my cash I'll get a keel boat (something like an older Van De Stadt 30') and keep it on a swing mooring - much cheaper than a berth. Reason for this is I've got nowhere safe to keep a trailer sailer and also (one of the most important reasons) is that I fancy having somewhere to go on a Sunday, even if not actually sailing that day. Trailer sailers are for sailing whereas a keel boat is more a member of the family.

Here's a few links you might find helpful
Forum for extended cruising & lots of info: http://www.cruiser.co.za/cruising_forums.asp
Aus boats for sale: http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/search.aspx
International boats for sale: http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/Sail/1 (jeez - how much cheaper are boats in the US?)
Old May 10th 2009, 7:36 am

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

(Just to add - obviously I wasn't considering using a trailer sailer to get to Papua New Guinea or NZ....)
Old May 11th 2009, 5:09 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the replies guys

regards steve
Old May 11th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the replies guys

regards steve

So you are looking at being a sailor then
Old May 11th 2009, 8:45 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

It's great ....you learn to tie knots and everything........

ps My knot of the week is........sheepshank.....
Old May 11th 2009, 9:51 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread,

My dream is to get a pleasure cruiser of some description for multi purpose use, fishing, family days out etc. I do know f@ck all about boats other than passing a RYA level 2 power boating course as an apprentice.

What would I be looking at in terms of boat length for this kind of use (family of 4) and can anybody tell me roughly what a decent second hander would cost?

This is a bit premature, haven't even heard back from the TRA re skills assessment yet but it would be nice to forget the dream now if was gonna cost squillions.
Old May 11th 2009, 7:15 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by BandS
So you are looking at being a sailor then
Hi Sharon
ive enroled in "better sailing" at southport yacht club to improve/refresh on the previous RYA courses done in the UK, i`m also activly looking at trailer sailers as way into sailing rather than spending a small fortune on berthing

Rinkerdink
as per cost anywhere between 8k and 25k seems to be what your looking at will get you into a second hand boat
http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/boats...ng.php?id=8529
http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/boats...ng.php?id=9698
http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/boats...ng.php?id=6029
though theres one local that looks as if it`ll go for about 6 or 7k i`m watching the auction with intrest
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250420850409
Old May 11th 2009, 9:26 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

though theres one local that looks as if it`ll go for about 6 or 7k i`m watching the auction with intrest
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250420850409

Jeez Steve dont be getting that one off E-bay mate it looks like someone has has there throat slit on board looking at them cushions on the last picture

Dougie
Old May 11th 2009, 11:19 pm

That one looks OK (even if there has been the odd murder on board) and damn cheap at the moment. Buy it!
Old May 12th 2009, 1:13 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
That one looks OK (even if there has been the odd murder on board) and damn cheap at the moment. Buy it!
If you can, wait for interest rates to rise again. The second hand market will be flooded with nearly new boats.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=steve`o;7562277]Hi Sharon
ive enroled in "better sailing" at southport yacht club to improve/refresh on the previous RYA courses done in the UK, i`m also activly looking at trailer sailers as way into sailing rather than spending a small fortune on berthing

Thats great mate...good on you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.