Adultesence

Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adultesence

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sad

A clip round the earhole is a great motivator
No pain, no gain.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 12:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Everyone should be able to rewire a plug. End of

And change a wheel/chop wood/measure an angle/make a fire/know which way they are facing/pitch a tent etc
It's all USB powered now.

I'm quite a practical man but there are things that I look at now and think "I wish I knew could..." like programming or flying a light aircraft. It seems the torment of men to always want more knowledge and skill.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 1:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
It's all USB powered now.
Real men make their own USB powered devices

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'm quite a practical man but there are things that I look at now and think "I wish I knew could..." like programming or flying a light aircraft. It seems the torment of men to always want more knowledge and skill.
Programming is quite easy, as is flying a light aircraft (if you don't have to deal with all the regulations).

This website covers the usual 'manly' list of skills : The Art of Manliness , though I'd tend to say "learn how to cook" should be top of the list. Doesn't have to be something you caught over an open fire, but you can if you want.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
... "learn how to cook" should be top of the list. Doesn't have to be something you caught over an open fire, but you can if you want.
Pretty good timing needed, to catch something over an open fire!
Old Mar 18th 2016, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I got told, by another parent, that I was mean to my children - because they make their own lunches (eldest was 5 at the time). I used to but my eldest didn't like the way I did it, I suggested he could do it and he has ever since. Youngest followed in his brothers lead and made his own lunches from Kindy onwards.

Jobs should be scaled up with increasing age. Whether it's unloading the dishwasher or unpacking the groceries - it's starts early and becomes normal before they can rebel! If an adult is doing something, the kids should be involved too - even if it is unblocking the drain! How else do they learn!?

Now they're teenagers, they both cook once a week at least. They bake their own cakes for school/afternoon tea. They stack and unload the dishwasher, help with putting washing on/out. They take turns cleaning their bathroom. Feed pets etc and help mow the lawn or whippersnip and mulch, depending on what we're doing.

But the important word in all that - "we". We're a family of four, we all do those tasks. My husband and I work full time, but make time to do the footy drop off, early music practice or swimming pick up but it comes with compromise - the kids help too.

They strip their beds, I help them re-making it. It's a team effort.

That way we all get to enjoy the down time together too - I don't think it's fair to watch parents running round like headless chooks, while their very capable child sits on Snapchat moaning about Home & Away to their school friends.

Both our sons now have part time jobs and love them. Their employers often comment how capable and grown up they are, which is a huge compliment to my husband and I but also to our children.

The upside of all this? I would be more than happy for them to stay at home longer, they are a pleasure to spend time with. We've a large house and there is room for them to be "independent" but under our roof if they so wish.

Maybe I am mean but I don't think my children (or their future partners) would agree!
Old Mar 18th 2016, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
I got told, by another parent, that I was mean to my children - because they make their own lunches (eldest was 5 at the time). I used to but my eldest didn't like the way I did it, I suggested he could do it and he has ever since. Youngest followed in his brothers lead and made his own lunches from Kindy onwards.

Jobs should be scaled up with increasing age. Whether it's unloading the dishwasher or unpacking the groceries - it's starts early and becomes normal before they can rebel! If an adult is doing something, the kids should be involved too - even if it is unblocking the drain! How else do they learn!?

Now they're teenagers, they both cook once a week at least. They bake their own cakes for school/afternoon tea. They stack and unload the dishwasher, help with putting washing on/out. They take turns cleaning their bathroom. Feed pets etc and help mow the lawn or whippersnip and mulch, depending on what we're doing.

But the important word in all that - "we". We're a family of four, we all do those tasks. My husband and I work full time, but make time to do the footy drop off, early music practice or swimming pick up but it comes with compromise - the kids help too.

They strip their beds, I help them re-making it. It's a team effort.

That way we all get to enjoy the down time together too - I don't think it's fair to watch parents running round like headless chooks, while their very capable child sits on Snapchat moaning about Home & Away to their school friends.

Both our sons now have part time jobs and love them. Their employers often comment how capable and grown up they are, which is a huge compliment to my husband and I but also to our children.

The upside of all this? I would be more than happy for them to stay at home longer, they are a pleasure to spend time with. We've a large house and there is room for them to be "independent" but under our roof if they so wish.

Maybe I am mean but I don't think my children (or their future partners) would agree!
I had to make my own school lunch from an early age or I went without.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 4:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
No pain, no gain.
Violence can solve anything
Old Mar 18th 2016, 7:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
No pain, no gain.
Tough love