Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Adelaide holiday attractions

Wikiposts

Adelaide holiday attractions

Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide holiday attractions

Good hotels in North Adelaide - Majestic Old Lion website has a group of hotels ranging from 2 bed apartments to one bed self check in rooms which are fab and I found good value as you can park outside, walk down the road to a restaurant and it's a very good shower and comfy bed (my priorities in life )
Old Oct 17th 2010, 7:10 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jothefw
Good hotels in North Adelaide - Majestic Old Lion website has a group of hotels ranging from 2 bed apartments to one bed self check in rooms which are fab and I found good value as you can park outside, walk down the road to a restaurant and it's a very good shower and comfy bed (my priorities in life )

Thanks, we're currently looking at the route north and onward. Self-check in though...we're technophobes.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Self-check in though...we're technophobes.
Don't panic - you can check in normally at the "mother" hotel if you want to - it's just across the street!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:24 pm

Thanks to everyone for their input thus far - quick question about Adelaide (city) itself, will shops & restaurants etc be closed on Dec 29/30/31?

Or for that matter Dec 23/24/25?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:19 pm
ABCDiamond

I've just heard that food is expensive in Adelaide

My wife was astonished at the food prices, and her shopping bill yesterday

There really is a difference between us in SEQLD and Adelaide.

Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

On top of that I just heard that interest rates are up and the Aussie Dollar with it - time for me to commit hara-kiri!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It is really expensive here. Everyone should just go somewhere else

Where did she shop? I spend around $300 - $350 per fortnight on 4 of us. I do tend to buy the specials though, I'm cheap like that
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:54 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Its about time you got yer Hand Off it, there is better places in Australia than were you live ..........MM
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:21 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Horseshoe Bay near Victor Harbour is rather scenic with a campsite right on the beach.....and a good resturant The Market in the City is a feast to the eyes and Rundle Mall quite entertaining.Fish and chips at Port Norlunga at Sunset is a must too :0)

Jan
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by jothefw
Oh I missed the golf course question! Keith (my home town) has a lovely course - I'm not biased at all as I don't play but it's beautiful, slightly hilly with lovely trees!

Kingston has a good course and there would be masses around Adelaide - I'll do some investigating as I said I don't play so I'll find out.

(Golf spoils a good walk in my opinion )

Thanks again.

What's the name of the golf course at Keith, any recommendable accom in the vicinity? Same question applies to Kingston. We'll be heading south after staying in the Barossa Valley:

http://www.novotelbarossa.com/explore.html
Old Nov 20th 2010, 9:06 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Most usual places have been mentioned and Kangaroo Island is apparently amazing but really needs a few days at least.

There is of course Australia first nudist beach at Maslin Beach!!!

Check out Sellicks Beach, Myponga, Normanville, Yankalilla. Port Willunga is very nice to walk around and through a small reserve and onto a lovely beach. There is also well know restaurant, The Star of Greece - lloks like a shak but some swear by it (Kylie's favourite). Also, at Willunga, there is a lovely golf course which is cheap and the food is lovely and also cheap.

Cooler
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wendy
It is really expensive here. Everyone should just go somewhere else

Where did she shop? I spend around $300 - $350 per fortnight on 4 of us. I do tend to buy the specials though, I'm cheap like that
It comes down to being new in an area, and not knowing where to shop, or where the specials are.

It has been 3 weeks now, and she has found some great places, and some excellent places to eat. We went down last weekend, had a great steak at the Strathmore Hotel, but unfortunately the weather was lousy when we went down, weather man got that wrong !!

The food at the Handorf Inn is worth the visit. Daughter preferred KFC in Rundall mall area though

Next time, when we have to pay for accommodation ourselves, I have found a nice place for only $490 a week Hell of a lot less than the $4,000 they coughed up for her accommodation

Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:39 pm

Accommodation....I just booked the Adelaide Stamford Plaza for the last two nights of our trip - how's it looking these days? Stayed there in 1998 on my todd, went out on the piss with the Barmies and somehow locked myself out of the room in the middle of the night.....
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Accommodation....I just booked the Adelaide Stamford Plaza for the last two nights of our trip - how's it looking these days? Stayed there in 1998 on my todd, went out on the piss with the Barmies and somehow locked myself out of the room in the middle of the night.....
Yep its good - we've stayed in the Adelaide one and the Glenelg one. Easy location, couple of blocks over to the shopping/restaurants and a walk down the road to the University etc

Tram/bus stop opposite and you'll be able to see the lights of the cricket ground from your window!

Have fun!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again.

What's the name of the golf course at Keith, any recommendable accom in the vicinity? Same question applies to Kingston. We'll be heading south after staying in the Barossa Valley:

http://www.novotelbarossa.com/explore.html
Sorry - missed this post!

Keith Golf Club is called Keith Golf Club!

Keith Hotel Motel for normal Motel style accommodation. Keith Motel (another one) has just done a lot of renovations and friends stayed at the weekend and were most impressed. With a population of only 1400 there isn't much to do but we like it! Henry and Rose is on the Dukes Highway and does lovely food, nice setting too.

Or you can rent a room on the lake, just next door to the golf course. Very cute - send me a pm if you want the number. Don't think they've got their website going yet but it's called Duck Inn and very lovely. Not pricey really either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.