Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Adelaide / Brisbane - Comparisons please.

Adelaide / Brisbane - Comparisons please.

Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Buena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the rough
Default Adelaide / Brisbane - Comparisons please.

Hi, I have recently been granted PR Skilled Visa (carpenter/joiner) and we (wife plus 2 teenagers) are planning to travel to Brisbane to check it out as we have heard alot of positive things about it, also the fact that there is work. I can also do plumbing, plastering and abit of electrics so property maintenance is something that appeals to me.... but I feel that we should also look at Adelaide. I would be most grateful to hear from people who are living there already, especially from anyone who has lived in both places. My wife does not want to drive on motorways to get into town, so any areas with great views and easy access are what we're looking for, also want a place where our teenagers will not get bored. We will not have the time to live in each city to get a good comparison as the kids have to go to a school, so your first hand advice I'm sure will contribute to helping us decide. Thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:53 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide / Brisbane - Comparisons please.

Originally Posted by Buena Vista Social Club
Hi, I have recently been granted PR Skilled Visa (carpenter/joiner) and we (wife plus 2 teenagers) are planning to travel to Brisbane to check it out as we have heard alot of positive things about it, also the fact that there is work. I can also do plumbing, plastering and abit of electrics so property maintenance is something that appeals to me.... but I feel that we should also look at Adelaide. I would be most grateful to hear from people who are living there already, especially from anyone who has lived in both places. My wife does not want to drive on motorways to get into town, so any areas with great views and easy access are what we're looking for, also want a place where our teenagers will not get bored. We will not have the time to live in each city to get a good comparison as the kids have to go to a school, so your first hand advice I'm sure will contribute to helping us decide. Thanks.

Your probably not going to like this but.......

no one can really tell you this....it's one of those gut feeling type of things (only works first hand)

But must add:

Adelaide only has one Motorway.....and that is on the outskirts heading for Melbourne. Driving is pretty easy going apart from the Australians in cars

Good Luck......
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

As a Carpenter/Joiner you will find work in either city fairly easy... You will no way be able to do plumbing/electrical work as these trades require special licences...

Brisbane would probably have more work opportunites for you and earn you much more dosh...

Motorways?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Buena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Your probably not going to like this but.......

no one can really tell you this....it's one of those gut feeling type of things (only works first hand)

But must add:

Adelaide only has one Motorway.....and that is on the outskirts heading for Melbourne. Driving is pretty easy going apart from the Australians in cars

Good Luck......
Thanks for your reply. May I ask why you moved from Adelaide to Gold Coast?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:23 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I've just answered this on another forum, so hope you don't mind if I cut and Paste?

Well to sum it up, the main reason was for the employment prospects for Rob but also thinking ahead to what the kids would do for jobs when they left school. Rob had a well paid/secure job in Adelaide but it was permanent shift work...after studying other employment opportunities for a long while we came to realise that there was very little chance for job progression (management) in his field (electrical/mechanical engineering) We knew that things were booming up in Queensland and there were heaps of jobs to choose from.

The decision was kind of made for us when we were robbed (for the 3rd time) We wanted out of our house, so thought we'd move on again

The weather was an issue too....but only for Rob. I actually liked the cold bits in Adelaides climate I didn't want Queensland and it's humidity...but I reasoned that I was pregnant when I last experienced it ....so maybe it wasn't that bad eh??

To look at Queensland is possibly kinder on the eye (on the whole) very green, lush and erm....tropical in a rain forestry kind of way LOL! Although Adelaide wins on the old attractive buildings front...especially in the City Centres. Queensland is tourist brochure Australia......although I could show you some sights to rival the worst that Adelaide has to offer.

Housing is slightly more expensive to buy and IMO really pricey to rent.All styles are here, possibly a bit more modern on the whole, not forgetting the beautiful 'Queenslander'....bugg er all insulation, hours of maintenance but really lovely and homely

Lots to do here....at a price.

On the downside (and I'd like to think that I'm just unlucky) but I've found it really hard to get along here...the people are more snobbish and far less open and friendly than in Adelaide.

If I could be here, with the wonderful friendships I forged in Adelaide and the history and familiarity of the U.K then I'd be blissfully happy.

Come up here and have a good nosey......it has lots to offer not just 'The Worlds'

Give my Love to Adelaide,

Jan

Previously from Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire. Arrived in Adelaide August 2004, moved to the Gold Coast, Queensland in September 2006. Jan(40), Rob(43), 4 kids(aged 9 -2), 2 dogs and an assortment of coldwater fish..... :^)
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing that. Wishing you and your family all the very best