Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Adapting recipes to Australian climate

Wikiposts

Adapting recipes to Australian climate

Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adapting recipes to Australian climate

Ok

I've conquered the Yorkshire pudding issue by adding extra egg..

But I think I may have made an error with the pineapple upside down cake..

Guess which ****wit put it in the oven 15 minutes ago having stuck the pineapple on top?

Jeez i'm an idiot sometimes.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adapting reipes to Australian climate

Well for all my ****wittery...

Pineapple topped cake rose VERY well, looks fantastic...tastes even better...

If anyone wants the recipe for a failsafe cake..........
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:32 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Ok

I've conquered the Yorkshire pudding issue by adding extra egg..

But I think I may have made an error with the pineapple upside down cake..

Guess which ****wit put it in the oven 15 minutes ago having stuck the pineapple on top?

Jeez i'm an idiot sometimes.
Why do you need an extra egg for Yorkshire pudding in Australia? Egg size?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brissybee
Why do you need an extra egg for Yorkshire pudding in Australia? Egg size?
Nope... There is someing "odd" about the flour, and without extra egg they just dont rise.. Mo like biscuits... No doubt some scientific technical gourmand will be a long in a minute to tell us whats wrong with it......
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:59 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Nope... There is someing "odd" about the flour, and without extra egg they just dont rise.. Mo like biscuits... No doubt some scientific technical gourmand will be a long in a minute to tell us whats wrong with it......
I woke up to using really cold water as a help... but I'll give the extra egg a go.

My YP's rise a bit... but they still seem to end up more like crispy quiche than proper Yorkshire Puddings. Still taste great with gravy though.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've not had a problem with my yorkies rising and I use the same recipe I did in the UK
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:26 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've not had a problem with my yorkies rising and I use the same recipe I did in the UK
Right then.... what's yer recipe?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right then.... what's yer recipe?
I reckon it was asuperior recipe to start with.....
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Brian Turner's - A cup of flour, cup of milk or half milk half water and a cup of eggs. Whatever cup you use, use the same one oh and S&P oh and finely chopped herbs if you so desire. Smoking hot fat and bob's your mother's brother.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Aha! as I suspected... A far superior recipe to start with!!!

I've always made mine with less egg that equal measures to flour... Thats where I was going wrong....

So how come the old recipe worked in the uk??? were the eggs bigger?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Aha! as I suspected... A far superior recipe to start with!!!

I've always made mine with less egg that equal measures to flour... Thats where I was going wrong....

So how come the old recipe worked in the uk??? were the eggs bigger?
You see, that's the odd thing about me, I never measured eggs there and I don't here. Except when we get one from our Gwennie - she produced enormous eggs. Here: Top one is from Crispy - about a large, then Jess's offering - X large and then from Gwen. She doesn't lay very often for obvious reasons.

Anyway, the point of the cup is that it doesn't matter what size they are, you just need to fill a cup.
Attached Thumbnails Adapting recipes to Australian climate-02042012248.jpg  
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:03 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You see, that's the odd thing about me, I never measured eggs there and I don't here. Except when we get one from our Gwennie - she produced enormous eggs. Here: Top one is from Crispy - about a large, then Jess's offering - X large and then from Gwen. She doesn't lay very often for obvious reasons.

Anyway, the point of the cup is that it doesn't matter what size they are, you just need to fill a cup.
OMG, that poor chicken.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OMG, that poor chicken.
I'm thinking that chicken Has been around a while has she? seen a few in her time? worked near a naval port perhaps????
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

OMG, that poor chicken.
The pointed end is normally way more pointed than that one and that's not the biggest she's produced. Tastes bloody lovely though.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I love freshly laid eggs- our neighbour in the UK used to keep bantams, so he often gave us little blue eggs which were delicious- couldn't bear to use them in cakes or yorkshires though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.