British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   accounts pay - rate per hour? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/accounts-pay-rate-per-hour-431040/)

Sleeping Beauty Feb 28th 2007 1:25 am

accounts pay - rate per hour?

20 hour per week $340 gross. that works out at $17 per hour for accounts and group travel. is this the going rate does anyone know? personally, i think it's too low.

Wendy Feb 28th 2007 1:37 am

Re: accounts pay - rate per hour?

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty (Post 4463345)
20 hour per week $340 gross. that works out at $17 per hour for accounts and group travel. is this the going rate does anyone know? personally, i think it's too low.

I'd say it's on the low side of what I'd expect to get paid. I'd settle for that to start with, but would want a pay review after 3 - 6 months.

I'd want somewhere in the region of $20 - $22 per hour (whether I got it or not is a different matter :D )

worzel Feb 28th 2007 1:53 am

Depends on what level, of course but minimum wage is $13.47/hr

https://www.workchoices.gov.au/ourpl...ratesofpay.htm

Sleeping Beauty Feb 28th 2007 2:47 am

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 4463398)
Depends on what level, of course but minimum wage is $13.47/hr

https://www.workchoices.gov.au/ourpl...ratesofpay.htm

mmm........they are getting my experiences in group travel as a bonus (they did originally advertise for accounts person, but got very excited when they knew i had groups experience), so they are are going to utilise my skills and have me do both jobs. it is also a good 45 minute drive away (cost me $20 in fuel when i went for the interview), so minimum $100 per week fuel costs.

still, it is a job, which i have found hard to come by. i have also been offered a cleaning job at a very nice 4 and a half star hotel. casual rates $17.61 per hour. they want me on board, with a view to any openings which may come up, they too can utilise my skills (worked in travel for 17 years, so reservations/front desk was spoken about). that is about a 35 minute drive away.

any views anyone?

worzel Feb 28th 2007 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty (Post 4463497)
mmm........they are getting my experiences in group travel as a bonus (they did originally advertise for accounts person, but got very excited when they knew i had groups experience), so they are are going to utilise my skills and have me do both jobs. it is also a good 45 minute drive away (cost me $20 in fuel when i went for the interview), so minimum $100 per week fuel costs.

still, it is a job, which i have found hard to come by. i have also been offered a cleaning job at a very nice 4 and a half star hotel. casual rates $17.61 per hour. they want me on board, with a view to any openings which may come up, they too can utilise my skills (worked in travel for 17 years, so reservations/front desk was spoken about). that is about a 35 minute drive away.

any views anyone?

It does sound too low. But then my experience (and I have heard it often) is that the first job is the hard one to get. Do anything relevant then with a few months Aussie work on your resume and a reference or two to call on you can go and get the job you deserve at that stage. It worked for me!

Wendy Feb 28th 2007 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty (Post 4463497)

any views anyone?

Hell girl, you spend all this time waiting for a job and then two come at once :D

Which would you prefer to do?
Which do you think you're going to be happiest with?
Which one is the most secure?

These are the first three questions I always ask myself when looking for a job :)

Sleeping Beauty Feb 28th 2007 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4463767)
Hell girl, you spend all this time waiting for a job and then two come at once :D

Which would you prefer to do?
Which do you think you're going to be happiest with?
Which one is the most secure?

These are the first three questions I always ask myself when looking for a job :)

mmmm, my heart isnt in either of them. i fell out with the travel industry some years ago. my heart is working with children in a school, preferably children with special needs.

the most secure i would guess would be the accounts one as it is a salary rather than a casual position.

the thing is, it seems that to get into schools you have to do the volunteering thing. i am meant to be going to hunter school for autism tomorrow re their volunteering and possibly to go on their casual list. wish i split myself in two :( :unsure:

Wendy Feb 28th 2007 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty (Post 4463785)
mmmm, my heart isnt in either of them. i fell out with the travel industry some years ago. my heart is working with children in a school, preferably children with special needs.

the most secure i would guess would be the accounts one as it is a salary rather than a casual position.

the thing is, it seems that to get into schools you have to do the volunteering thing. i am meant to be going to hunter school for autism tomorrow re their volunteering and possibly to go on their casual list. wish i split myself in two :( :unsure:

Schools are really hard to get into. I have a friend that wanted to do the same, but has been told she'll need to go to Uni to do some course or another first.

It's even hard for teachers to get jobs in schools out here!

I'd take one of the jobs for now, just to get some money coming in and so that you've got some Aussie experience to put on your CV. Once you get your foot in the door you will have loads more options.

thebears Feb 28th 2007 10:02 am

I pay $45K pro rata for my AP accounts girl
865 (divided by 52 weeks)
22 (divided by 40 hours)

in reverse
35,360 Gross per year 17,680
680 Gross per week 340
17 Hourly Rate 17
40 Hours worked per week 20

Sleeping Beauty Feb 28th 2007 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4464467)
22 (divided by 40 hours)

in reverse
680 Gross per week 340
17 Hourly Rate 17

mmm, $5 less per hour than your lady? thanks for that info.

Pommie Granite Mar 2nd 2007 9:00 am

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4464467)
22 (divided by 40 hours)

in reverse
680 Gross per week 340
17 Hourly Rate 17

That's what we're paying for ours here in Melbourne, but are having real trouble finding anyone of a half decent calibre or someone who will stick around. We're onto our 4th AP person in the 3 months. (The negative side of record unemployment in Oz:( )

thebears Mar 2nd 2007 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite (Post 4472895)
That's what we're paying for ours here in Melbourne, but are having real trouble finding anyone of a half decent calibre or someone who will stick around. We're onto our 4th AP person in the 3 months. (The negative side of record unemployment in Oz:( )

What theres more out there that process statement balances as invoices?:sneaky:

Pommie Granite Mar 4th 2007 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4472904)
What theres more out there that process statement balances as invoices?:sneaky:

:rofl: too true

julie hilton Mar 6th 2007 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite (Post 4481612)
:rofl: too true

Employee meeeeeeee.

I've been accounts payable person for 17 years now and I love my job! I always like to do a good bank reconciliation!!!

thebears Mar 6th 2007 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by julie hilton (Post 4488995)
Employee meeeeeeee.

I've been accounts payable person for 17 years now and I love my job! I always like to do a good bank reconciliation!!!

The search is starting for someone in Melbourne:sneaky: