70 hours a week

Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 70 hours a week

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Maybe your hubbie doesn't do the same job as my hubby, he worked over 60 hours back in UK & use to work in other countries for even longer hours than in UK.
I believed Australia was more laid back by all those good people who did all those expo's we wanted to spend more time together as in my 30's I only saw my hubbie at weekends as he use to work mon - Friday in other Europen countries.
I didn't realize he would work even longer, I envy people like yourself who have managed to get jobs that allows you to have more time together, it just never happened to me.
As I said. It's not Australia, it's your particular circumstance. I am sure my husband doesn't do the same job as yours. Mine's an electronic engineer who works M-F with very occasional overtime. He does bring work home sometimes, but he always takes flex time to make up for any extra hours he does. And he only works at home when I'm busy doing uni work.

IMO (and it's my opinion only and based soley on my own circumstances) if someone reallly wants to spend time with their wife/husband/kids/etc, they will find a way. When my husband was working 10 hour days plus 2 hours travel each way he never got to see us. He decided he did not want to miss out on spending time with us so changed jobs to one which would allow us time together.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:23 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is contracted to work 9 til 6, or as many hours as it takes to get the job done. He regularly works 60+ hours and in actual fact is still sitting at the kitchen bench working right now, even though it's Friday night, it's his birthday and I'm drinking all his champagne lol.

Seriously though, for my OH, these hours are because of the company he works for and not the country he lives in, and he knew it would be like this when he took the job.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If my hubby had worked them kind of hours we may have still been married

(Not really! )
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

My oh probably works 50 - 60 hours a week and often longer as weekends and evenings are often taken up with hosting/attending work social events which also involve me. He is in a a senior role in the media and this is no different to the UK. He loves his job so no big deal for him
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
My OH is contracted to work 9 til 6, or as many hours as it takes to get the job done. He regularly works 60+ hours and in actual fact is still sitting at the kitchen bench working right now, even though it's Friday night, it's his birthday and I'm drinking all his champagne lol.

Seriously though, for my OH, these hours are because of the company he works for and not the country he lives in, and he knew it would be like this when he took the job.
Oh loves the company he works for too, but since he had his promotion to higher management is basically expected of them to put the company first.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
My oh probably works 50 - 60 hours a week and often longer as weekends and evenings are often taken up with hosting/attending work social events which also involve me. He is in a a senior role in the media and this is no different to the UK. He loves his job so no big deal for him
Oh my hubby gets all that with his job but most of the time he is in a different country or different state when his company has a do, in Sydney they work they party in other places.:$
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:26 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook

Good on him,PS, happy birthday slave
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Apparently Australians work longer hours than any other western nation and more often than not don't get paid for the extra hours. I've never understood how people then say they have more family time here, more hours in the day perhaps ?
Yes, that always amused me too.

When our kids were young, my DH worked the 70 hour weeks (public servant no flex time at his level) and it wasnt unusual for us to have the weekends without him. I can remember calling him one day and telling him that we had to have some family time as the kids were old enough to know they were missing out on him so we met for a picnic then he went back to work. I worked in education so had more flexibility with my office time but I still racked up well over the 40 hours each week with a lot of stuff done at home.

Now he is "retired" and works a 12 - 13 hour day in one job and technically has a 7.5hr pw job which always takes him around 20 hpw including evening meetings etc. I too am "retired" and working for a charity where I have racked up a full week in "overtime" but no time to take it.

I guess we have never had the "laid back" lifestyle either!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I used to work whatever hours were needed to get the job done. First week of the month was always hectic and I'd do some very long days but I'd try to claw back a few hours later in the month so on average I'd only work 35-40 hours a week.

Geek is never really off duty. Works in the office (when he's in town) about 8am-6.30pm most days, comes home for dinner, does work at home, is always contactable by phone or email, does international con calls and web demos late at night or early morning, does some work on a weekend, almost always flies after hours or very early morning - I'd hate to put a figure on it.

(And has just completed a Masters, carrying on to get his MBA. Good job he's young and fit.)
My OH (also a geek) seems to work similar hours, including overnight conference call etc. His blackberry never stops buzzing, and he gets up some days at 4:45 and has 50 e-mails to answer. I see him maybe for an hour in the evening before I go to bed. He isn't young and fit (thoguh younger and fitter than me)
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:39 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The Australian time zone for some jobs is a real pain in the arse. When I worked in Sydney I was doing around 3pm to 6am off my own back as that was the time when the market was active enough to do business ( dry freight trading). But it regularly meant I'd also have to do early morning meetings with prospective Australian clients and respond to recap queries on the trades I'd done. Hence, I had to sleep with my phone next to my pillow to wake up regularly throughout my effective 'night time'.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes the migration expos It was a little different when we came here as a family in 1962 but my mum was told she could leave the Hoover in England as there is no dust in Australia, true story

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I believed Australia was more laid back by all those good people who did all those expo's we wanted to spend more time together as in my 30's I only saw my hubbie at weekends as he use to work mon - Friday in other Europen
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah yes the migration expos It was a little different when we came here as a family in 1962 but my mum was told she could leave the Hoover in England as there is no dust in Australia, true story
Funny you are saying that, when we were moving over under 5 years ago one of my friends called me & said don't forget to take couple of ironing borads with yourself as when her brother moved there in the 70's they were told not bring one over & they couldn't find a descent one ever since. now I have 2 of them
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think when you go to a migration expo it is best to disbelieve 50% of what you are told and take the other 50% with a huge pinch of salt.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

I think when you go to a migration expo it is best to disbelieve 50% of what you are told and take the other 50% with a huge pinch of salt.
Too late now, when I move again
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I work 40 hours a week with a short commute. Live close to the city so i can spend more time with my young children. Has been a huge help. Most places I have worked are 37-40 hours per week. Majority of people I have worked with usually stick to this...seems to be mostly senior mgt that put in the larger hours...other staff mostly just work extra every now and again if circumstances dictate. This goes for working in the UK and Australia.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 13th 2011 at 2:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.