70 hours a week

Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 70 hours a week

We don't get any mobile reception in the house - so once Himself is home, that's it (well, unless he stands in the corner of the room, on one leg, with a fork in his mouth)

I knew it had a plus point

Mostly, he works from 8am til between 4.30 and 5 - sometimes later if things are manic. He can traipse around the Greater Sydney area for meetings so may leave home earlier or later depending on train times.

The biggest thing is if he has to go down to Wollongong, because its a three hour train journey back - but that's more to do with where we choose to live than his job.

In the UK, he had a similar job and worked from 8.30am til 4.37pm - so pretty similar really.. and again, if he had to get the train down to London it was a pain.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

In the UK, he had a similar job and worked from 8.30am til 4.37pm .
Very precise.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:31 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

50 to 60 hours a week here. No overtime.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:51 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Very precise.
It was a railway thing

TheOriginalMrDreamy worked for what had been the Electricity board and they worked til something like 4.34pm - bleeding unions
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Like It Is will become famous soon enough

39 hours and if i am asked to occasionally work overtime i do not get paid i just receive time in lieu.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:10 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

According to the OECD Aussies only work an 39 hours per year (yes! per year) more than Brits. They also work less than the OECD average.

Got to wonder what the Greeks are doing though as they aren't making much money for all that effort.

http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

Last edited by Rambi; Aug 13th 2011 at 11:16 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:15 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

In one of my early jobs (in the UK) I was working long hours (60+ per week) with all the usually excuses given above. My work mate and I decided to go on a work to rule (without telling the company). If people rang after hours I just said I was busy and called them back the next day. After a few months I got into the swing of a 37.5 hour week and was accomplishing the same as before. Still got paid the same, still got the same bonuses and still got promoted. Turned out when working to rule, I worked more efficiently. Company was still happy and I was happier. Everyone was a winner.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
In one of my early jobs (in the UK) I was working long hours (60+ per week) with all the usually excuses given above. My work mate and I decided to go on a work to rule (without telling the company). If people rang after hours I just said I was busy and called them back the next day. After a few months I got into the swing of a 37.5 hour week and was accomplishing the same as before. Still got paid the same, still got the same bonuses and still got promoted. Turned out when working to rule, I worked more efficiently. Company was still happy and I was happier. Everyone was a winner.
I think it depends on the type of jobs you do where you need to stay at work longer, the problem my OH has got is dealing s with other countries which have different time zones to here.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
That's how many hours my OH works on good week, I just never see him. I saw his contract it said start at 8:30 finish 5:30
He starts on good days at 7 am & finishes around 7:30 pm, of course he doesn't get overtime, well fed up with it, who said Australia has laid back attuide cause I never seen it.

Be honest how many hours a week do you work on average?
Im practically working from 5am until 9pm monday to sunday with a few hours off inbetween for good behaviour.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 2:16 am
Rhino with a big horn!

I think it depends on the type of jobs you do where you need to stay at work longer, the problem my OH has got is dealing s with other countries which have different time zones to here.
I guess.

I was doing international tech support for DHL at the time which involved talking to Singapore and HK in the morning and the US in the evening. I just worked out a way to do it.

Maybe it wouldn't work for everyone. I just thought I'd give it a try as I was getting a little hacked off with the hours at the time.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

From what you've said, your OH has always had a similar role with long hours involved. That's the way of certain jobs.

I'm not sure how living in a different country would have any effect on the hours needed?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a few years old but I cant find the more recent one.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...329502555.html
Old Aug 14th 2011, 10:17 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

When chef (ing) here i was doing 42hrs salaried, everything over 42hrs was paid as 'bonus', some..actually ...many weeks i was getting $300'bonuses'...and hating life.
now Government based so do 37.5hrs, on flexi so can save up hours for extra time off.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 10:39 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I've been so busy working that I missed this thread.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

My hubby is a geek too and works a heck of a lot less here than he did in the UK. There he worked about 70 hours a week and on call every third weekend and we never saw him. Here he works about 40-45 hours a week and we live closer so no real commute. This is heaven to us and the kids love having their daddy around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.