Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

6 months free DNS service - iplayer etc

6 months free DNS service - iplayer etc

Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months free DNS service - iplayer etc

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Try free HOLA Unblocker extension in Google Chrome.
So simple to install and use
I've got that but I think you have to pay for Netflix.I bought an apple tv on Friday but changed my mind once I got it home so returned it.I have ordered a Roku 3 from Amazon.I'm hoping that it isn't too complicated to set up.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:34 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I've got that but I think you have to pay for Netflix.I bought an apple tv on Friday but changed my mind once I got it home so returned it.I have ordered a Roku 3 from Amazon.I'm hoping that it isn't too complicated to set up.
Let me know how you get on with that - been looking at that too
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Let me know how you get on with that - been looking at that too
Will do.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:43 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Has anyone worked out how to get HBO Go?
Yes.....If you are with UnoTelly you can get HBO Nordic which has an English option as far as I can tell. Subscribe to that and then use an HDMI output from your computer to the TV. Plenty of info on the UnoTelly website and Whirlpool forums. I've only subscribed to Netflix so far until I get more confident of these things, but once Game Of Thrones is back on, HBO will be on my list.
My biggest bugbear with all the streaming devices is that none of them seem to support all the channel apps. I've got a WD TV Live so can get BBC iPlayer, Netflix and Hulu etc, but would really like it to support ITV, Ch4, HBO, AMC and Showtime, even if they were a minimal subscription per month.......having said that, I think in 4-5 years these things will be widely available when the distributors realise can sell direct to the viewer and by-pass the TV broadcasters.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got your Roku yet?

I see that Amazon are knocking it out for just over $100 delivered - which is a bargain
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Have you got your Roku yet?

I see that Amazon are knocking it out for just over $100 delivered - which is a bargain
Not yet.Due September 11.Paid $107 which I thought was good.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh had an interesting phone call with Foxtell.He rang them to cancel.They tried everthing to persuade us not to cancel.Even got it from $90 down to $30.We still said no.I hope I can set up the Roku .
Old Sep 1st 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not yet.Due September 11.Paid $107 which I thought was good.
Actually I paid $124.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I am happy with my current DNS set up, I get iplayer, ITV, C4 and may others.

Not going to say which I am using at the moment. Twice in the past I have been on here and provided a recommendation and within a few weeks they both were taken down!

Sometimes best to keep these conversations under ground.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon77
I am happy with my current DNS set up, I get iplayer, ITV, C4 and may others.

Not going to say which I am using at the moment. Twice in the past I have been on here and provided a recommendation and within a few weeks they both were taken down!

Sometimes best to keep these conversations under ground.
Good advise.

Btw the eagle has landed.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

This isnt going as smoothly as I had hope.The adapter that came with the Roku doesn't fit.So then we tried a 12 v one that does fit.It looked like it was starting to work but then nothing.I have set up the Roku account but cant seem to connect it.Any help would be appreciated.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

This isnt going as smoothly as I had hope.The adapter that came with the Roku doesn't fit.So then we tried a 12 v one that does fit.It looked like it was starting to work but then nothing.I have set up the Roku account but cant seem to connect it.Any help would be appreciated.
Sorted.I think.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kapri
Thanks guys.

Telstra won't let us access foxtel without an Aussie credit card and neither will quickflix. We have a UK credit card and they won't accept it.
We have downloaded unblock-us and have accessed bbc iPlayer on the laptop but I want to be able to watch it on the TV.

Am I right in thinking, that if I don't want to keep the laptop permanently connected to the TV, I would be better off investing in Apple TV?
why not just do a change of address on your uk credit card I come to oz for 6 months every year and do this each time. card is then registered to where you are staying.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

So,I have had the Roku a week and still haven't managed to sort it.The first time I did it wrong because I set up the Roku account first before I changed the Dns settings.So I redid it again.I seemed to have changed the Dns on my mac correctly.However when I go to start streaming it is still telling me that I ma in the wrong region.It has driven me mad all week
I am now thinking of sending it back and re buying the Apple.Anyone got any idea what I am doing wrong.The mad thing is that I have managed to watch Netflik and Hula on my mac,just not on my tv.
Thank you.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:40 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

So,I have had the Roku a week and still haven't managed to sort it.The first time I did it wrong because I set up the Roku account first before I changed the Dns settings.So I redid it again.I seemed to have changed the Dns on my mac correctly.However when I go to start streaming it is still telling me that I ma in the wrong region.It has driven me mad all week
I am now thinking of sending it back and re buying the Apple.Anyone got any idea what I am doing wrong.The mad thing is that I have managed to watch Netflik and Hula on my mac,just not on my tv.
Thank you.
I haven't got a Roku, but on the WDTV you have to change the region as well as your DNS to get some services.
Failing that Whirlpool forums is the go to place for all things techie... http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126?g=188 is the media players section in home theatre.