Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Wikiposts

5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Originally Posted by WendyC
Erm, I lost count at 100....
MARGARET !!

Urgent case here.

Theatre, quickly !
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
MARGARET !!

Urgent case here.

Theatre, quickly !

Only if I can have the dishy doctor Margaret is always on about
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liamruscoe
There is a similar thread in 'Moving back to the UK' but I would be interesting to see what people think they would miss miss about the UK

TOP 5 (or more)

Maybe saying these things and realising them will make it easier to deal with when you out there.

Because alot of people probably don't prepare themselves enough.

Me included.
Knorr ham stock cubes times 5 apart from that im very very happy just celebrated 2 years here and ready for citizenship.

Perth is a fab place to be.

Have my kids here with me even had close friends follow and they live within 5 mins drive from me

Life is pretty god damn good.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice

Originally Posted by maggy
Knorr ham stock cubes times 5 apart from that im very very happy just celebrated 2 years here and ready for citizenship.

Perth is a fab place to be.

Have my kids here with me even had close friends follow and they live within 5 mins drive from me

Life is pretty god damn good.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good answer

12 weeks today!

x
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:17 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Originally Posted by jensteve
Been here nearly 2 years and so far miss:-
1.Ceefax on the tv
It's called Teletext in Australia (click here.)

2.Argos/Index
Argos is alive and kicking, but Index has collapsed under a predictably massive pile of debt (click here.) I do find Argos useful from time to time, but I actually prefer Clearance Bargains; a warehouse shop for end-of-line Argos stock.

3.Central heating/double glazing
Origin sells gas central heating in Australia (click here.)

Velux sells double glazing in Australia (click here.) Of course, Australian windows tend to be a lot larger than UK windows, so it will cost you a fortune. This is just one of several reasons why Australians don't bother with double glazing (the most obvious one being that it is largely unnecessary.)

Magnetite sells a double glazing alternative (click here.)

4.Freezer shop (Iceland)
Um, OK. Can't help you there, since I always bought fresh food back home.

5.Local pub

Jenny
Australia had local pubs when I last lived there.

Unless you mean your local pub, in which case I sympathise; UK pubs tend to be family-friendly, while Aussie pubs tend to be little more than a place for working class men to get drunk and gamble.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:22 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Only if I can have the dishy doctor Margaret is always on about
No, no, no, he's an anaesthetist!

The surgeon is a "tosser", apparently.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No, no, no, he's an anaesthetist!

The surgeon is a "tosser", apparently.
I'll take both :scared:
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:32 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by arkon
I have to say it sorry. Why the heck are you going then?
He's in love, arkon. He's engaged to a mate of mine - a WA lass whom I've known since she was a kiddy. Surely even you must realise that when two people are devoted to each other, their priorities begin to change...?

There are things I miss about Australia, but they're not enough to make me want to up stakes immediately and return home with my lovely English wife.

Once Leeds_to_Perth has had a chance to visit a few places like Mundaring, Kalamunda, Sawyers Valley, John Forrest National Park, Busselton, etc. he'll appreciate that Australia can be just as green as the UK.

The Valley of the Giants in Walpole is generally considered to be quite green. Likewise Araluen Park and the Stirling Range.

See attached.
Attached Thumbnails 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK-valley-giants.jpg   5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK-falls-araluen-botanic-park.jpg   5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK-stirling-range.jpg  

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 6th 2006 at 5:56 am.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:33 am
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

I'll take both :scared:
Oooh, you wicked woman!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice

There is a similar thread in 'Moving back to the UK' but I would be interesting to see what people think they would miss miss about the UK

TOP 5 (or more)

Maybe saying these things and realising them will make it easier to deal with when you out there.

Because alot of people probably don't prepare themselves enough.

Me included.
mmm
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:57 am
Fighting my corner

Red face Re: 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

mmm
Ooops, good point; it's for things that people think they will miss, not things that people already Down Under know that they miss...
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

I will miss.........

1 My son
2 My son
3 My son
4 My son
5 My son

nothing else really matters much.
you got no chance then
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you got no chance then

Why??

He's studying in Hull for two years and then is planning on trying to move to Japan, so I'll actually be nearer him in the end
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Ooops, good point; it's for things that people think they will miss, not things that people already Down Under know that they miss...
???