Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Wikiposts

5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Old May 31st 2006, 12:33 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
On the basis of 31 years in Australia and nearly 2.5 in the UK:
  • Drivers' licenses which don't need renewing and tax discs which can be refunded for the balance of any remaining months

• BBC1, BBC2 & Radio 4

• The incredible wealth of historical sites and buildings all over the UK

• Proximity to Europe and the Irish Republic.

• Cheap "once price fits all" prescription medication

Listed in no particular order.
vash you can still get bbc radio ont tinternet when you come back!

what i actually miss:
1) faggots peas and chips (preceded by 16 pints of lager)
2) a good solid jacket potato with loads of butter, tuna and cottage cheese (yes i've tried to replicate it but it just dont work)
3) dashing out at 10pm on a saturday night to get a curry and be back in time for match of the day - and watching match of the day
4) slide tackles - over 35's football does not permit slide tackles (also if its raining the game might be called off so fairs fair)
5) my friends (but they're all ugly) my family (they're all up-the-duff) and my audi a4 - i live in a big town and theres as many 4x4's (if you say that the aussies laugh as its a piece of wood) as i've seen in kensington. i suppose those kerbs in waitrose/coles car park can be a bit steep.
Old May 31st 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
I think i will miss English soaps like Emmerdale, just nipping down the road to visit people . The geordie accent when out and about. the sense of humour.
Well this is what i missed when i last lived abroad.
Mandy

Good news - emmerdale is due to start on foxtell next month - not sure how far behind it is though! Eastenders and coronation st have just caught up to when I left 21 months ago
Old May 31st 2006, 3:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
  • My Family
  • The greenness of everything at the moment
  • Watching my home city grow into something beautiful
  • Proximity to Europe
  • My life thus far...
Hey matey, nice to see ya!
Old May 31st 2006, 3:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
vash you can still get bbc radio ont tinternet when you come back!
Wahey!

what i actually miss:
1) faggots peas and chips (preceded by 16 pints of lager)
2) a good solid jacket potato with loads of butter, tuna and cottage cheese (yes i've tried to replicate it but it just dont work)
3) dashing out at 10pm on a saturday night to get a curry and be back in time for match of the day - and watching match of the day
4) slide tackles - over 35's football does not permit slide tackles (also if its raining the game might be called off so fairs fair)
5) my friends (but they're all ugly) my family (they're all up-the-duff) and my audi a4 - i live in a big town and theres as many 4x4's (if you say that the aussies laugh as its a piece of wood) as i've seen in kensington. i suppose those kerbs in waitrose/coles car park can be a bit steep.
You get first prize for listing "faggots" as something you miss from the UK...
Old May 31st 2006, 8:18 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my top five list of things I miss.....

1... My eldest son
2... Tesco's
3... Central heating
4... Family and friends
5... Sky TV....

I wish I could just transport myself back for a day at 'home'....
Having breakfast with my son, a trip to tescos getting all my favourite food and a bar of galaxy chocolate. Walking in the house when its all warm. My best mate and my mum popping round for coffee and a chat, then a nice relaxing evening watching Eastenders, CSI and anything else that takes my fancy....ahhhh.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross

I wish I could just transport myself back for a day at 'home'....
Having breakfast with my son, a trip to tescos getting all my favourite food and a bar of galaxy chocolate. Walking in the house when its all warm. My best mate and my mum popping round for coffee and a chat, then a nice relaxing evening watching Eastenders, CSI and anything else that takes my fancy....ahhhh.
CSI is on here. I think it's Channel 9...
Old May 31st 2006, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I will miss.........

1 My son
2 My son
3 My son
4 My son
5 My son

nothing else really matters much.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Yer its on tuesdays and sunday nights!
Old May 31st 2006, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Um, now I've found Hellman's Mayo in Coles, I really don't miss anything.

Although actually, what I miss really is familiarity... with brands and prices etc. But that's only temporary.
Old May 31st 2006, 10:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Based on previous time spent living abroad, my list comprises just one item:

Jaffa Cakes
Coles and BiLo
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:58 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: 5 Things You Think You'll Miss About The UK

Originally Posted by iPom
And 'stenders, too. My father (an English ex-pat) was a bit of a 'stenders fan himself.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

1) Marks and Spencer for clothes.
2) Harveys Bitter.
3) Nothing.
4) See 3.
5) See 3 & 4.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Best mate
2. Sister
3. central heating
4. struggling now
5. struggling even more
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I will miss.........

1 My son
2 My son
3 My son
4 My son
5 My son

nothing else really matters much.
No - nothing really does Wendy ) keep smiling
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:44 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
1) Marks and Spencer for clothes.
2) Harveys Bitter.
3) Nothing.
4) See 3.
5) See 3 & 4.
Harveys Bitter - ahh yes - are you from the Lewes area then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.