Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Wikiposts

5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: 5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Originally Posted by scissors
ive tried this and mint jelly but its not the same,but i have learned to live without it,when in rome and all that

tracey
It's plain old mint sauce; how different can it be?
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: 5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Originally Posted by thribble
I've worked it out, the thing I really miss. Recycling. We don't have a recycling bin at our block of units, and there isn't the glass bins etc in the supermarket carpark. The tip will only take cardboard, as far as I can tell, so I'm stuck.
Ripped off! You should have two wheely bins; one for regular rubbish and one for recycling.

Talk to your tenant's association, or whatever passes for it down your way.

I've never heard of a tip which only takes cardboard; you should check that out.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:57 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Mint jelly/Mint sauce - two TOTALLY different things. We even went as far as planting some mint so we can make our own - yum yum
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:28 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
MINT SAUCE now im being petty,lol, honestly i dont think i reall miss anything,ive manged to find an alternative for most things and what i can t find and alternative for i can manage with out,
I think the main thing is long time friends but they ll take time to build.

tracey
Errrrr make it, things like vinegar and mint do exist in oz
Old Jun 10th 2006, 12:20 am
Fighting my corner

Question Re: 5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Mint jelly/Mint sauce - two TOTALLY different things. We even went as far as planting some mint so we can make our own - yum yum
I know they are two different things, but at the end of the day it's all about taste - so does it really have to be jelly?
Old Jun 10th 2006, 5:25 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and there is one thing I miss, people moaning about the UK..........
Old Jun 10th 2006, 10:09 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice

If you want English Choc or indeed any English Food there is a english shop in Perth. Good luck and cheer up you lot. Can you now buy Mayonnaise(Helmans) cos that was what I missed most when I was in Oz, also proper bangers 'Snags'

Angie

Originally Posted by hevs
Well it better than bloody hour long american cop dramas that we get every day here. Thank god for DVD complete series box sets and the ABC who show some decent English stuff from time to time. But god damn them for pulling it half way through a series cos people don't seem to be watching much Loving Rose and Maloney at the moment
Old Jun 10th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markrj
If you want English Choc or indeed any English Food there is a english shop in Perth. Good luck and cheer up you lot. Can you now buy Mayonnaise(Helmans) cos that was what I missed most when I was in Oz, also proper bangers 'Snags'

Angie
You can buy helmans in oz but its under the name best foods(I think thats it)
Old Jun 10th 2006, 8:41 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Mint jelly is the jizz from the devils zits while good old British mint sauce is top drawer and has a far more complex flavour and it is made to a traditional style. Mint jelly LOL.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

donner kebabs with chilli sauce
Here in SA, at a food court in ur local mall, they sell a beef kebab, if you get this without the tabboli (I thinnk that is what it is called- the parsley stuff!) and ask for chilli (not sweet chilli) instead of the garlic sauce - it is pretty darn close to a donner!

If it is here, I would of thought you could find it in Perth!

Only thing I miss is curry!

Nikki
xx
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

kimbo is an unknown quantity at this point

We import prawn cocktail skips. They wont let us bring in walkers prawn cocktail. They let us bring in vegetable suet but not the beef one. We also have proper mint sauce and vinegar and heaps more.

Last edited by kimbo; Jun 16th 2006 at 6:34 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:10 pm
Not the sharpest tool

Dimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant future

Hi there, first time I have replied as the other half. Sorry to be obtuse but why do you not get light evenings in the summer? Was looking forward to long light evenings in Perth when we eventually get there, especially walking our dogs.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimwit
Hi there, first time I have replied as the other half. Sorry to be obtuse but why do you not get light evenings in the summer? Was looking forward to long light evenings in Perth when we eventually get there, especially walking our dogs.
Simply because it's closer to the equator so the day/night time hours are more even than the UK, which is nearer the top.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WendyC
Simply because it's closer to the equator so the day/night time hours are more even than the UK, which is nearer the top.
what...pile of shite?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

The Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really nice

NEXT I miss NEXT

and ready made meals....I know I know I could cook my own!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.