Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Wikiposts

5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:56 pm
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Family and friends

Chips from the chippy

Black cabs

Football (Sheffield United)

Sense of Humour
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:25 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
4. Heinz Tomato Soup (it doesnt taste the same here)
If you're prepared to buy Heinz 'Soup for one' the tomato one tastes the closest to cream of tomato

I miss

1. Take away curries or any sort of chilled meal from Sainsburys.

2. Clothes shopping...I just can't find anything that 'fits right'...maybe its because I'm a shortarse tho

3. REAL chips when you buy fish 'n' chips

4. Insulated houses...it's bloody FREEZING!

5. My mum
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep
5. My mum
I thought we weren't doing family. If so, then number 1 is my new neice. However,...

1 - Decent TV, for the times when I just want to flick.
2 - Easy-to-get, good curry
3 - Beer. Real beer. Proper beer. In a proper local pub, with an open fire and a dog.

I can't really think of anything else. I even have beer in the cupboard at the moment, so shouldn't really be complaining about that!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

This gets tougher the longer you're here i reckon.....

1. Insulation and a house that stays warm
2. Walking into a chippy and not having to order
3. A really decent chinky that does duck and pancakes
4. Villages with church bells ringing
5. My foster brother and Matts Mum and Dad and Granny

Edit to say...
Ooops, just read no family so numer 5 wold be..........ermmmmm *shrug* dunno really....
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:47 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Irish Aussie Teen
I miss prawn cocktail crisps (not chips!) too!
I had some of them on Monday my friend went back to UK to see family and she brought me some Walkers prawn cocktail crisp back. Oh and some Atora suet (that customs took off her)
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:47 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzy
3. bendy roads
Hun take a drive to the Dandenongs (not far from you) theres hairpins up there love
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:58 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Zilch.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I will miss, in no particular order-

Variety of crisps. Espec Skips, Quavers, Thai Sweet Chilli

Choice of Ready made meals (Can't believe I just said that!)

Long summer nights

Holidays in the med

Fee-free banking!

Country pubs for Sunday lunch

But there are so many more things I will like about Oz instead of these minor trivials
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:25 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

1) Live premiership football. (not at an ungodly hour)

2) A good curry.

3) Real ale's and beer.

4) Family and mates

5) Good TV.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It really amuses me when people say they miss "good TV"

They must have a different signal to what I get on mine then, cos there is nothing on ever, unless you like myth busters and top gear or are a big soap opera fan.

This is why I'm on here 24/7
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by WendyC
"

They must have a different signal to what I get on mine then, cos there is nothing on ever, unless you like myth busters and top gear or are a big soap opera fan.
Well it better than bloody hour long american cop dramas that we get every day here. Thank god for DVD complete series box sets and the ABC who show some decent English stuff from time to time. But god damn them for pulling it half way through a series cos people don't seem to be watching much Loving Rose and Maloney at the moment
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:35 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
It really amuses me when people say they miss "good TV"

This is why I'm on here 24/7
If you think pommy TV is bad wait till you get here.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
If you think pommy TV is bad wait till you get here.

*adopts spongebobs voice* I'm ready

My hubby is always amazed at me, cos I can watch the worst drivel and get right into it
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:04 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing only our family and friends

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.