Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Wikiposts

5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:49 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute
Smile 5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

I know it's a similar thread to the recent one, but I'm asking us Poms here in Australia now, what do you miss about Mother England (& Scotland, Wales, NI)?

This leaves you open to claims of whinging but I see it as harmless fun. I miss things but I'm not crying cos I can't have get my 'favourite biscuits'. Australia is different as everyone rightly points out.

Can we take it as read that everyone misses their family and friends? I talking about the little things that every now and again you wish you could still get.

1. Food. Chips and curry sauce from the chippy. McVities plain chocolate digestives, real cheese (wensleydale, red leicester, stilton, shropshire blue, cheshire), donner kebabs with chilli sauce, UK chocolate.

2. Beer. There's nothing wrong with Australian beer, it just seems like it's all lagers over here. I miss real ales, Badger Golden Champion, Spitfire, Abbot ale and even mass produced rubbish like John Smith's draught bitter. a real bitter.

3. Summer. Yes I know it's seems ridiculous to miss the minuscule British summer, but you can't beat the light nights and sounds of blackbirds keeping you awake at midnight. I never thought I'd miss the screech of Swifts in flight either. I've only been here in Aus' for 6 months so I've only known an Aus' summer but I really miss the proper summer we've just left. It's no fun looking at the temperatures in the UK rising and trying to keep warm in a house without insulation.

4. Music. Yes I know we have music here in Australia, but I miss being able to go to gigs. I think I can say without contradiction that UK bands and artists are generally far better than Australian ones. I'm not talking about sh*te like Robbie Williams or Rogue Traders. Real music! Which kinda leads me on to point 5...

5. Online Shopping. It's hard to buy music or anything on t'internet here in Perth. If you want to compare prices or spec's you have to do the legwork and go around all the shops. I miss actual shopping as well. I miss Argos and being able to buy booze in Asda. I miss shopping on Sundays and at 10:00 at night.

If I could have a point 6, it would be Telly. I miss being able to find at least something to watch on these slightly chilly winter nights apart from Family Guy and American Dad on Thursdays.

I could list loads of things that I'd miss about Australia and I hope someone starts a thread about that. I'd add my two cents to that. Here endeth the whinge
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:00 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 things you miss about the UK... now that you're in Aus

1. Proper chips
2. Proper gravy
3. Cheese & Onion Pasties
4. Prawn Cocktail crisps
5. Lenor (yellow)
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
I know it's a similar thread to the recent one, but I'm asking us Poms here in Australia now, what do you miss about Mother England (& Scotland, Wales, NI)?

This leaves you open to claims of whinging but I see it as harmless fun. I miss things but I'm not crying cos I can't have get my 'favourite biscuits'. Australia is different as everyone rightly points out.

Can we take it as read that everyone misses their family and friends? I talking about the little things that every now and again you wish you could still get.

1. Food. Chips and curry sauce from the chippy. McVities plain chocolate digestives, real cheese (wensleydale, red leicester, stilton, shropshire blue, cheshire), donner kebabs with chilli sauce, UK chocolate.

2. Beer. There's nothing wrong with Australian beer, it just seems like it's all lagers over here. I miss real ales, Badger Golden Champion, Spitfire, Abbot ale and even mass produced rubbish like John Smith's draught bitter. a real bitter.

3. Summer. Yes I know it's seems ridiculous to miss the minuscule British summer, but you can't beat the light nights and sounds of blackbirds keeping you awake at midnight. I never thought I'd miss the screech of Swifts in flight either. I've only been here in Aus' for 6 months so I've only known an Aus' summer but I really miss the proper summer we've just left. It's no fun looking at the temperatures in the UK rising and trying to keep warm in a house without insulation.

4. Music. Yes I know we have music here in Australia, but I miss being able to go to gigs. I think I can say without contradiction that UK bands and artists are generally far better than Australian ones. I'm not talking about sh*te like Robbie Williams or Rogue Traders. Real music! Which kinda leads me on to point 5...

5. Online Shopping. It's hard to buy music or anything on t'internet here in Perth. If you want to compare prices or spec's you have to do the legwork and go around all the shops. I miss actual shopping as well. I miss Argos and being able to buy booze in Asda. I miss shopping on Sundays and at 10:00 at night.

If I could have a point 6, it would be Telly. I miss being able to find at least something to watch on these slightly chilly winter nights apart from Family Guy and American Dad on Thursdays.

I could list loads of things that I'd miss about Australia and I hope someone starts a thread about that. I'd add my two cents to that. Here endeth the whinge
I don't miss anything about the UK.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:29 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
1. Proper chips
2. Proper gravy
4. Prawn Cocktail crisps
5. Lenor (yellow)

yeah I am with you on the fabric softner. my little local supavalu sells Comfort Silk (the pink one) at a price so I am content with that.

1. Bacon
2. Fish, chips and mushy peas
3. Next for my kids clothes
4. Light nights in the summer
5. Playschools for the pre-school kids.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:13 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Decent 'free' education
Long summer evenings
Being able to listen to proper footy on the radio whilst doing chores at a weekend
Broken glass free pavements
Lower levels of grafitti (at least where I used to live)
Being able to walk the dog in the evening without hearing someone trying to tear the engine out/tyres off their ute
Being able to drive round a roundabout wthout someone trying to overtake me on the inside

(Sorry - there are seven, but I never could count well!)

Everything else here is great!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:37 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

1. Late evenings
2. Offies open on a Sunday (how many times have I headed off to someone's place on a Sunday thinking I'll buy the booze on the way, then remember I've got to find a hotel AAAARRRGH)
3. H&M clothes for the kids
4. Clipper tea
5. Jaffa cakes

Actually, the last one was just spur of the moment. I felt the urge for one at the weekend.

I don't miss anything about the UK in any serious way. Except when someone arrives from the UK with a suitcase full of goodies and then I'm like a kid on his birthday!!

One more....

6. Heat magazine. Which I could probably find if I tried hard enough.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

1. malt loaf
2. insulation
3. bendy roads
4. decent TV
5. British sense of humour !

6. radio / music
7. curry from sainsburys

Can't count either !!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:40 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. there are lots of things when you think about it aren't there?

Your lovely recount of a British summer made me feel very homesick so I'm taking heart from the fact that it's apparently still crap weather over there and it's June!! Of course it's bloody baltic here at the moment but at least it's sunshine and blue skies...

1. Pickled Onion Monster Munch
2. Next, Dorothy Perkins, Top Shop, Marks & Sparks etc
3. Cold, Dark Christmasses where you can really appreciate the tree lights & all that mulled wine!
4. Sainsbury's!
5. People who can use an apostrophe
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Oh and

NHS DENTISTS !!!!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 4:21 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

1. Central Heating
2. Good Quality Houses (that you can feel secure in!)
3. A proper letter box
4. Street lights in the evening!! (this one really bugs me here - as soon as the sun goes down the place is almost pitch black!)
5. Clothes Shopping!! (I know it'll take time but I just cant get to grips with the clothes over here - they seem so 'cheap' in comparison to places like Next and even Tesco) Oh thats another - I miss Tesco too (for the kids clothes not the food!)
Old Jun 6th 2006, 4:40 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment probably cause im bored,

1)Going shopping & seeing familair faces.

2)Reading our local newspaper for all the gossip!

3)My old schoolfriend coming down from Inverness,having a chinky,sharing a few glasses of wine & a good ole gossip.

4)My kids playing out in the street with all their friends.

5)Feeling secure.

Donna.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 4:55 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

1. Having a decent curry at local Indian Restraunt

2. Next

3. Family and Friends

4. Heinz Tomato Soup (it doesnt taste the same here)

5. Jaffa Cakes

in no order
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:12 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

1(a) Unpasteurised cheese
(b) Fresh foi gras
(c) Cheap Champagne
2. Selfridges
3. Real Ale
4. Fast driving
5. France!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy Jaffa Cakes in BiLo and Coles (if I haven't got there ahead of you )
Coles also do a nice line in Fox's Glacier Mints, which are now all the craze in my office
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
1. Proper chips
2. Proper gravy
4. Prawn Cocktail crisps
5. Lenor (yellow)
I miss prawn cocktail crisps (not chips!) too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.