5 days in Hobart

Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default 5 days in Hobart

Hi everyone. Me and the family are validating our visa's in November - staying at the OH's sisters in Perth for most of the trip - although because we like the look of Tasmania and are leaning towards possibly moving there - we have decided to break the trip up and fly over to Hobart from Perth for 5 days. I've booked the flights with VirginBlue and we're staying at a Bestwestern Hotel in Hobart.....
If anyone has any "must see" places they can recommend for anyone that is considering moving to the Island i would really appreciate hearing about them!
At the moments, we have certain "area's" we want to look at, being Kingston, Kingston Beach, Hobart city centre, Port Arthur, Sandy Bay etc etc but are open to suggestions.
Also, has anyone done the drive from Hobart to Launceston? If so, how long does it take - and what places are worth looking at en-route?

thanks in advance for any advice....
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 days in Hobart

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi everyone. Me and the family are validating our visa's in November - staying at the OH's sisters in Perth for most of the trip - although because we like the look of Tasmania and are leaning towards possibly moving there - we have decided to break the trip up and fly over to Hobart from Perth for 5 days. I've booked the flights with VirginBlue and we're staying at a Bestwestern Hotel in Hobart.....
If anyone has any "must see" places they can recommend for anyone that is considering moving to the Island i would really appreciate hearing about them!
At the moments, we have certain "area's" we want to look at, being Kingston, Kingston Beach, Hobart city centre, Port Arthur, Sandy Bay etc etc but are open to suggestions.
Also, has anyone done the drive from Hobart to Launceston? If so, how long does it take - and what places are worth looking at en-route?

Port Arthur is a MUST! Not to be missed. The spookiest but one of the loveliest places I've ever visited.
f you have time to wander round Hobart, visit Salamanca Place, superb restaurants and craft shops and a wonderful market on Saturdays.
Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair if you can fit them into your drive northwards, and if you get a clear day while in Hobart - you should at that time of year - drive to the summit of Mount Wellington. Take warm clothes, it can be a 10 degree temp difference bottom to top, but the views are stunning.

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

CADBURY'S CHOC FACTORY INNITT!!
I took one of the kids there last year and not surprisingly she loved it - Catch a ferry for the half day trip from the city centre - hobart.

On a controversial note how about the Gunn's wood mills before they chop down all the forests:curse::curse:
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

No advice as not been there but hope you have a great time.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:51 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Port Arthur is a MUST! Not to be missed. The spookiest but one of the loveliest places I've ever visited.
f you have time to wander round Hobart, visit Salamanca Place, superb restaurants and craft shops and a wonderful market on Saturdays.
Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair if you can fit them into your drive northwards, and if you get a clear day while in Hobart - you should at that time of year - drive to the summit of Mount Wellington. Take warm clothes, it can be a 10 degree temp difference bottom to top, but the views are stunning.

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm
I would second all of those things. I'm trying to remember what else we did when we went to Tassie a couple of years ago. We had a great time, loved the place.

We did that walk to - heck what is it called - Wineglass Bay??. Bit of an effort to get to the end of it but well worth it. Gorgeous view. We also went up to those amazing beaches at the top of the island (can't quite remember what they're called either). White sand beaches, like you're in a romate desert island or something. Amazing. Also did the things Polly suggests above, which were brilliant, especially Port Arthur and Salamanca Place. We did a tour of the Cadbury's factory too

I can't remember how long it took us to drive between Hobart and Launceston. In fact it seems there are a lot of things I can't quite remember about our visit now.... but I do remember that we absolutely loved Tassie, thought it was gorgeous and we had a great time there.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ann & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the rough

We loved Tassie too. The trip from Hobart to Launceston took around 2 and a half hours. The trips a bit boring so make sure you stop off in Ross on the way, it's really old fashioned and peaceful. Our Tassie friends told us to stop there going in both directions as there are two lovely bakeries, one for the trip up and one for the trip down!! Have fun.

Ann
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I would second all of those things. I'm trying to remember what else we did when we went to Tassie a couple of years ago. We had a great time, loved the place.

We did that walk to - heck what is it called - Wineglass Bay??. Bit of an effort to get to the end of it but well worth it. Gorgeous view. We also went up to those amazing beaches at the top of the island (can't quite remember what they're called either). White sand beaches, like you're in a romate desert island or something. Amazing. Also did the things Polly suggests above, which were brilliant, especially Port Arthur and Salamanca Place. We did a tour of the Cadbury's factory too

I can't remember how long it took us to drive between Hobart and Launceston. In fact it seems there are a lot of things I can't quite remember about our visit now.... but I do remember that we absolutely loved Tassie, thought it was gorgeous and we had a great time there.
Wineglass Bay is gorgeous isn't it, well worth the climb. We had the most amazing storm come ip on our way down too! Tame wallabies wandering the car park as well.
Cadburys is just amazing - you can get a cruise up the river and visit it that way instead of driving, if you prefer - another good tour is the Cascade Brewery, on the edge of Hobart just below the Mountain.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:16 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rajj
On a controversial note how about the Gunn's wood mills before they chop down all the forests:curse::curse:

LOL did you know they are renaming Tasmania "Gunnsmania" they do run the state afterall.

and the pulp mill gets in we are all fecked check out the link for more info

http://www.wilderness.org.au/regions/tas/
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:10 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
LOL did you know they are renaming Tasmania "Gunnsmania" they do run the state afterall.

and the pulp mill gets in we are all fecked check out the link for more info

http://www.wilderness.org.au/regions/tas/
You look a bit naked...
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

hi everyone - thank you all for your replies.....
i think the cadbury factory might be a must - seeing as i'm a bit of a chocoholic!
it's a shame that the mill will probably be built - but i guess whenever there is any kind of industrialisation going on (not sure if that word exists!) - there is always a potential threat to the environment - although i imagine the work opportunities for people locally will be seen to be more beneficial by the local governments....

One of the reasons we like the look of Tas is because the Tas Government are recently trying to push their "green" values - especially to potential migrants when you get in touch with them - and even by the fact that they call the island the "island of rejuvenation"......but i guess time will tell if they succeed. But even with the threat of the Mill - the Island itself still looks a heck of a lot better than where we are living now!

I really cannot wait to visit Tas - as i find the possible prospect of living there quite exciting. I know some people say the place is quiet in comparison to other places....but i think that's half the appeal to us - especially as we have small children...

Anyway, thanks again guys.....
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:36 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a couple of days to go bushwalking at Freycinet National Park.
An absolutely spectacular spot.

Spent a 4 day weekend there at the start of June.
Her's the pics for a preview of what you can expect.
http://picasaweb.google.com/barney.henry/Tasmania2007
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by @boy
Take a couple of days to go bushwalking at Freycinet National Park.
An absolutely spectacular spot.

Spent a 4 day weekend there at the start of June.
Her's the pics for a preview of what you can expect.
http://picasaweb.google.com/barney.henry/Tasmania2007
Great pictures! Looks really lovely.
Wineglass Bay definitely looks like a must see!
thanks for that - will show the OH when he gets home from work later - i know he'll be impressed!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:24 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's great! And I think I remember the name of the place with the nice white sand - Bay of Fires? It's really gorgeous there too.

You're going to have a great time in Tas!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

You will not be disappointed the place is lovely we are heading there in September for good!!! Holey crap just read that back to myself and had a bit of a panick attack!!

Just a word of caution I noted that you have small kids it is very difficult getting to wine glass bay with tots especially if you have a buggy. And in the Cadburys factory you have to wear hairnets, I couldn't get our 2 year old to keep it on so we had to get a refund

Good luck in your quest!!!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kezzabird
You will not be disappointed the place is lovely we are heading there in September for good!!! Holey crap just read that back to myself and had a bit of a panick attack!!

Just a word of caution I noted that you have small kids it is very difficult getting to wine glass bay with tots especially if you have a buggy. And in the Cadburys factory you have to wear hairnets, I couldn't get our 2 year old to keep it on so we had to get a refund

Good luck in your quest!!!
Hi there - wow - so you're off to Tassie for good in September - not long for you guys then!!! We've had our visa's since April - but i'm the one dragging my heels (am a bit reluctant to leave some friends and family ).... I'm hoping that our trip in November will give me the courage to make a decision to go for it!!! We did say earlier that it would probably be hard to see Wineglass Bay with an 11month old baby (which is how old our son will be by then).....but we'll see how close we can get to the area anyway
From what i am gathering there's plenty of other lovely beaches to while away our time - so we're not overly worried - and if we love the place i'm sure they'll be plenty of opportunities for future trips as the kids get bigger!
Our daughter is 4 - so hopefully we'd be able to persuade her to keep the hairnet on at Cadbury's - otherwise she'll be told she wont be allowed any chocolate in the shop!!!
Whereabouts are you planning on relocating in Tas? Hobart area or Launceston/Devonport area's? (just being nosey there!).....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.