Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Scene

4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Scene

Old May 27th 2007, 3:49 am
  #31  
Take it easy
 
Shakmaty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,182
Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers View Post
No I meant cafe culture, I do realise we have a cafe culture in Melb and other cities, what I was meaning is it just isnt as "buzzing" as it is in the UK, I am sure people will know what I mean by that, its a little more sedate. Not sure how long it is since you were last in Mcr, but last time I was there (Sep 06) it was "alive" I find Melbourne a little sleepy.
Let's agree to disagree, then

ps, I ain't been in Manc since 2004....maybe it's changed a bit since then
Shakmaty is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 3:50 am
  #32  
Take it easy
 
Shakmaty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,182
Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by alkristensen View Post
I know what you mean mate no probs.

Probably something to do with a fe more million people in manchester and london. Give it a few years!!

Al
Errr....Manchester has how many people?

Melbourne has nearly 4 million
Shakmaty is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 3:50 am
  #33  
Has left the building
 
Geelong Gent's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,079
Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by alkristensen View Post
nah you didnt lol

i love all types of food, ive travelled lots and i want to be in the right place so i an pick and choose.

Im happy to look at AFL and the A league but ill be up at silly a.m. still following United. Are there any pubs that stay open for me in the area.

QLD has the "pig n whistle " pubs for this is there a similar chain or individual pubs that do the same in mel?

Al
Plenty of pubs were advertising for the FA cup recently and these are local not inner city.
Geelong Gent is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 3:55 am
  #34  
Take it easy
 
Shakmaty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,182
Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by alkristensen View Post
nah you didnt lol

i love all types of food, ive travelled lots and i want to be in the right place so i an pick and choose.

Im happy to look at AFL and the A league but ill be up at silly a.m. still following United. Are there any pubs that stay open for me in the area.

QLD has the "pig n whistle " pubs for this is there a similar chain or individual pubs that do the same in mel?

Al
Melbourne's cosmopolitan nature means that food is varied and good.....virtually anything you want, and usually at reasonable prices.

Again, all sorts of pubs....if you want chains, then there's Elephant and WheelBarrow's, various Irish pubs, Rose and Crown in Toorak, Charles Dicken's Tavern in the CBD, Belgian Beer Cellar in St Kilda Road, Russian Vodka Bar in Balaclava.....etc, etc.....
Shakmaty is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 3:56 am
  #35  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
alkristensen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
Posts: 1,614
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by Shakmaty View Post
Errr....Manchester has how many people?

Melbourne has nearly 4 million
Un-informed!! Like the man in the orthopoedic shoe, i stand corrected
alkristensen is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 4:00 am
  #36  
Take it easy
 
Shakmaty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,182
Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by alkristensen View Post
Un-informed!! Like the man in the orthopoedic shoe, i stand corrected
But saying that, Melbourne is about the size of Greater London, so there'll feel like more in Manchester
Shakmaty is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 4:06 am
  #37  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
alkristensen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
Posts: 1,614
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by Shakmaty View Post
Melbourne's cosmopolitan nature means that food is varied and good.....virtually anything you want, and usually at reasonable prices.

Again, all sorts of pubs....if you want chains, then there's Elephant and WheelBarrow's, various Irish pubs, Rose and Crown in Toorak, Charles Dicken's Tavern in the CBD, Belgian Beer Cellar in St Kilda Road, Russian Vodka Bar in Balaclava.....etc, etc.....

Would you say the average wage earner could live in these sorts of areas and afford to go out.

Or to put it another way, how much do you reckon you would have to earn to live around there and go out for a beer or meal or 2 a week and pay for all your other expenses such as everyday living as a rough guide....minimum do you think?

We live in a nice part of manchester a 10 minute bus ride to Didsbury and 30 mins into city centre. We dont mind being on the fringes of these sort of places if they are easy to get to.

We eat out once or twice a week and live well for our means and we survive on spending little. Do you think this is possible around there too?

Al
alkristensen is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 4:09 am
  #38  
Take it easy
 
Shakmaty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,182
Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by alkristensen View Post
Would you say the average wage earner could live in these sorts of areas and afford to go out.

Or to put it another way, how much do you reckon you would have to earn to live around there and go out for a beer or meal or 2 a week and pay for all your other expenses such as everyday living as a rough guide....minimum do you think?

We live in a nice part of manchester a 10 minute bus ride to Didsbury and 30 mins into city centre. We dont mind being on the fringes of these sort of places if they are easy to get to.

We eat out once or twice a week and live well for our means and we survive on spending little. Do you think this is possible around there too?

Al

Difficult question to answer as everyone is different. We have no kids, live in a 2-bedroom rented apartment, don't drink much alcohol, both smoke, both run cars, are in and out of cafe's each day (coffee addicts), eat out when we feel like it, and we can live on less than $1000 per week comfortably.
Shakmaty is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 4:16 am
  #39  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
alkristensen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
Posts: 1,614
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by Shakmaty View Post
Difficult question to answer as everyone is different. We have no kids, live in a 2-bedroom rented apartment, don't drink much alcohol, both smoke, both run cars, are in and out of cafe's each day (coffee addicts), eat out when we feel like it, and we can live on less than $1000 per week comfortably.
Perfect. We dont smoke, want a 2 bedder, dont drink much either(just binge ocasionally or drink at home) Ill have a motor bike and share a car with Clare and enjoy treats food wise and that sort of money is what we should earn in interest each month off our savings combined with part time jobs alone, or if we buy a house its what we will save in rent as it should be mortgage free if we get it right.


Brill.

I can go to sleep alot happier cause of your great info.

Goodnight mate. I owe you a few rounds now!

al
alkristensen is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 4:20 am
  #40  
Take it easy
 
Shakmaty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,182
Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by alkristensen View Post
Perfect. We dont smoke, want a 2 bedder, dont drink much either(just binge ocasionally or drink at home) Ill have a motor bike and share a car with Clare and enjoy treats food wise and that sort of money is what we should earn in interest each month off our savings combined with part time jobs alone, or if we buy a house its what we will save in rent as it should be mortgage free if we get it right.


Brill.

I can go to sleep alot happier cause of your great info.

Goodnight mate. I owe you a few rounds now!

al
No worries

Remember, though, eveyone is different....paradise for one can be hell for someone else. Good luck

Take it easy
Shakmaty is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 4:29 am
  #41  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
alkristensen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
Posts: 1,614
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by Shakmaty View Post
No worries

Remember, though, eveyone is different....paradise for one can be hell for someone else. Good luck

Take it easy

I make my own fun. It will work. Thats what research is all about.i know what i want and im on the hunt for it. We have done 3 years of research and talking with each other to get to know what areas we want to live in and most of all what it can give us.

Our top 5 list goes

Area and Vibe - So we arent feeling isolated and have plenty to do
Broadband connection - to watch man u at silly a.m. at home
Proximity to ski ing (qld wasnt)
Job situation but not essential as yet
Beaches i suppose but i think it would probably be college for the courses we are gonna do for 5th place

Not your average list but we dont want much!

We dont care if its a little edgy but clare prefers not moss side type area where you look at the floor walking to the shop. Ive live there and it wasnt bad for me, i just have to think of the missus on her own.

We arent that bothred about it being a "trendy" area but it comes with the terrirtory of being popular i guess. We could never do humdrum legoland even after having kids, i want to live before i die!!!

laters dude.

al

Last edited by alkristensen; May 27th 2007 at 4:34 am.
alkristensen is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 8:19 am
  #42  
Has left the building
 
Geelong Gent's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,079
Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by alkristensen View Post
I make my own fun. It will work. Thats what research is all about.i know what i want and im on the hunt for it. We have done 3 years of research and talking with each other to get to know what areas we want to live in and most of all what it can give us.

Our top 5 list goes

Area and Vibe - So we arent feeling isolated and have plenty to do
Broadband connection - to watch man u at silly a.m. at home
Proximity to ski ing (qld wasnt)
Job situation but not essential as yet
Beaches i suppose but i think it would probably be college for the courses we are gonna do for 5th place

Not your average list but we dont want much!

We dont care if its a little edgy but clare prefers not moss side type area where you look at the floor walking to the shop. Ive live there and it wasnt bad for me, i just have to think of the missus on her own.

We arent that bothred about it being a "trendy" area but it comes with the terrirtory of being popular i guess. We could never do humdrum legoland even after having kids, i want to live before i die!!!

laters dude.

al

We are the same Al but now have kids.

Skiing is about 4 or 6 hours away (we have booked our first week in Hotham for this coming Sept so will know more fact v fiction post then).

Trust me the regulars turning up for Sunday morning coffee and pastries are not too bothered about trendy gear - just strong coffee warm and inviting conversation.

Most meals we go out the bill is usually about $100 to $150 but some evenings its $50 to $100 depends on venue and how much wine is consumed. Could do quite nicely with a $35 bistro (in the right company) but be bored and hard done by in a $300 a head meal (in the wrong company).
Geelong Gent is offline  
Old May 27th 2007, 8:56 am
  #43  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 153
Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Hi Al.

From your OP, I reckon you MUST check out Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. It's walking distance (20 min) from the CBD and is full of pubs/bars/restaurants of every description - very cosmopolitan. And you can find heaps of litle pubs in the backstreets.

Chapel Street is very yuppy - good for a visit but...
Cam1977 is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 12:53 pm
  #44  
Suncream, I need suncream
 
northerner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,316
northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Hi Al.

From your OP, I reckon you MUST check out Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. It's walking distance (20 min) from the CBD and is full of pubs/bars/restaurants of every description - very cosmopolitan. And you can find heaps of litle pubs in the backstreets.

Chapel Street is very yuppy - good for a visit but...
Sorry to drag this up from yesterday - can't keep up with you Al LOL
I lived in Melbourne for a year a few years back, and have been back to visit etc since and agree that Fitzroy/Carlton area would probably suit you down to the ground. Really great feel to the area, loads of bars, loads of independent eateries etc... 10 min tram into town, if I lived in Melbourne I'd be straight to these areas.

See you soon

Graham
northerner is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:16 am
  #45  
diegomaradonna
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by northerner View Post
Sorry to drag this up from yesterday - can't keep up with you Al LOL
I lived in Melbourne for a year a few years back, and have been back to visit etc since and agree that Fitzroy/Carlton area would probably suit you down to the ground. Really great feel to the area, loads of bars, loads of independent eateries etc... 10 min tram into town, if I lived in Melbourne I'd be straight to these areas.

See you soon

Graham
I think he is right!
 

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.