Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Scene

4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Scene

Old May 27th 2007, 3:08 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
All sorts of pubs:

-Small quaint pubs with fireplaces, decent beers, pool tables and nooks and crannies.

-Loud, trendy, bars.

-Sofa's and cocktails.

-Footy and pie.

Whatever you want....then on to the club of your choice....garage, acid, 60's, indie, rock, 80's, gay, dance, etc

Sounds perfect. Any late night English Football pubs just to top it all off?

al
Old May 27th 2007, 3:10 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Can anyone LIVING in melbourne please tell me of any young professional towns, suburbs or areas that i can further reasearch please that have a cafe/bar/restaurant cool edgey vibe.

It doesnt have to fill all this criteria but some of it would be good

Im not bothered if the people look like throwbacks to the 80s or whatever, just a nice vibe to thplace. Edgey and run down are ok if its a cool place to sit and have a beer or a great meal at an independant type cafe or eaterie and plenty of choice.

I liked south yarra for the few days i stayed there. I know its pretty expensive there to buy but are there any places nearby, up and coming or anywhere else for that matter outside of the inner city.

Somewhere like Brixton, Camden or Clapham in London, or West Didbury, Fallowfield or Beech Road,Chorlton in Manchester.

I dont want places full of chain pubs and cafes, but a few mixed in is cool.

St. Kilda has been mentioned but id like other areas named please. Or pm me if you dont want your area discovered.

We are a young professional couple without kids ad like to step out and around the corner for food, drink and a bit of live music.

We arent bothered about beaches or commute times as we dont need either of them at this stage of our lives thanks. If you know of a place name or several places to look for houses just reply.

If you dont or you want to add nonsense to this post then please pm me instead please.

Cheers

Alan
The parts of Melbourne I have been to dont have a cafe culture that compares to Manchester or London, St Kilda could be possibly described as a poor mans Manchester, same with Melbourne city centre. I am sure there will be areas that fit these requirements, but I wouldnt count the city centre or St Kilda amongst them. Indeed I was disappointed in St Kilda, it was a little like visiting a seaside town in the UK, only out of season, and we were there during the Commonwealth games, so I would have expected it to be busy then, but it seemed asleep to us. Down at the harbour was goodish, but again there werent many people there, they had erected big screens down there for the games, and there were no more than 20 people watching them.

Certainly from my experience the "buzz" isnt the same here as it is in places like Chorlton, Fallowfield, Didsbury and various of the other areas in and around Manchester. Its still a good night out, dont get me wrong, its just not the same, in case you are looking to replicate those experiences.
Old May 27th 2007, 3:15 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
The parts of Melbourne I have been to dont have a cafe culture that compares to Manchester or London, St Kilda could be possibly described as a poor mans Manchester, same with Melbourne city centre. I am sure there will be areas that fit these requirements, but I wouldnt count the city centre or St Kilda amongst them. Indeed I was disappointed in St Kilda, it was a little like visiting a seaside town in the UK, only out of season, and we were there during the Commonwealth games, so I would have expected it to be busy then, but it seemed asleep to us. Down at the harbour was goodish, but again there werent many people there, they had erected big screens down there for the games, and there were no more than 20 people watching them.

Certainly from my experience the "buzz" isnt the same here as it is in places like Chorlton, Fallowfield, Didsbury and various of the other areas in and around Manchester. Its still a good night out, dont get me wrong, its just not the same, in case you are looking to replicate those experiences.
Nothing will be like dids or the norther quarter. A lttle like it is fine for me as long as i can choose what and where to eat drink and be merry.

The vibe and fun comes first then the roots.

Al
Old May 27th 2007, 3:18 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

What time does it go cold at night if it does? And does the sun set a little later like 9-10pm some times of the year.
As it gets dark it starts to get colder just like anywhere else, and you acclimatise to the temps as well....now, for instance, anything below 20C feels cool to me. Long nights don't happen here, but it's still warm at night in the summer. I was outside on St Kilda beach until about 3am New Year's Eve and it didn't drop below about 26C. Sun starts to set about 8-8.30 in summer and goes down about 5.30-6 in winter.

Your area sounds great. I dont mind being 10-20 mins from these places with the vibe. Dont want music and puke on my doorstep id rather walk/bus/tram/drive from a leafier street or 10 just back from all of it than it be in my face. Best of both worlds really.

Are there any of hese places mentioned except St.Kilda near a beach?
Port Melbourne is near a beach and Elwood is the next suburb south on the bay from St Kilda.

If so are they close enough to walk or get a quick bus tram train etc?
No worries about public transport....loads of trams go to St Kilda, and the real beaches are not around the inner suburbs on the bay anyway. It's good going to Elwood or Brighton any day of the week to walk on the beach and watch a sunset, but the best beaches are a good hour's drive away.

Thanks for all the info, i was only there for 4 days so we didnt get to see much outside sth yarra.

Do ou have many expat meets or an already establishd one around there?
Yeah, there are quite a few meets, and quite a network building up, but saying that the meets are about finding firm friends to meet again outside of the meet scenario.

Cheers
Al[/QUOTE]
Old May 27th 2007, 3:20 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds perfect. Any late night English Football pubs just to top it all off?

al
Dunno, actually. Probably....there's at least one Irish pub in the CBD that never seems to close
Old May 27th 2007, 3:22 am
Take it easy

Cafe culture here is far advanced to the UK....on a par with top European cities....maybe you meant Melbourne doesn't have a pub/bar culture to match Manchester or London....I'd agree with you there, but it's not too bad
Old May 27th 2007, 3:29 am
Banned

As it gets dark it starts to get colder just like anywhere else, and you acclimatise to the temps as well....now, for instance, anything below 20C feels cool to me. Long nights don't happen here, but it's still warm at night in the summer. I was outside on St Kilda beach until about 3am New Year's Eve and it didn't drop below about 26C. Sun starts to set about 8-8.30 in summer and goes down about 5.30-6 in winter.

Port Melbourne is near a beach and Elwood is the next suburb south on the bay from St Kilda.

No worries about public transport....loads of trams go to St Kilda, and the real beaches are not around the inner suburbs on the bay anyway. It's good going to Elwood or Brighton any day of the week to walk on the beach and watch a sunset, but the best beaches are a good hour's drive away.

Yeah, there are quite a few meets, and quite a network building up, but saying that the meets are about finding firm friends to meet again outside of the meet scenario.
Brilliant, thaks alot for all the info. Feels like i like the feel of this place and you have been a great source for that.

We were off to brisbane after 6 months of fun and trying to see if it would work out in sydney. Brisbane always seemed like the make do. Someone i knowe talked me around to looking at Melbourne again so we started asking questions.

Ill defo get the rounds in at xmas when we will be there.

Beaches are unimportant really, i dont go to blackpool much now LOL but a stroll down the beach in the city now and again would be nice!

Off to bed now. 4.30am here. Once again thanks

Al
Old May 27th 2007, 3:32 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

D'you have a good night?

Richmond is pretty cool, but Fitzroy/Collingwood has better pubs
Well they have to have something to make up for their football teams
Old May 27th 2007, 3:34 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Cafe culture here is far advanced to the UK....on a par with top European cities....maybe you meant Melbourne doesn't have a pub/bar culture to match Manchester or London....I'd agree with you there, but it's not too bad
No I meant cafe culture, I do realise we have a cafe culture in Melb and other cities, what I was meaning is it just isnt as "buzzing" as it is in the UK, I am sure people will know what I mean by that, its a little more sedate. Not sure how long it is since you were last in Mcr, but last time I was there (Sep 06) it was "alive" I find Melbourne a little sleepy.
Old May 27th 2007, 3:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Yep i ve got all my info now thanks so this thread can be destroyed

Al:thumbsu p:
Old May 27th 2007, 3:37 am
Banned

No I meant cafe culture, I do realise we have a cafe culture in Melb and other cities, what I was meaning is it just isnt as "buzzing" as it is in the UK, I am sure people will know what I mean by that, its a little more sedate. Not sure how long it is since you were last in Mcr, but last time I was there (Sep 06) it was "alive" I find Melbourne a little sleepy.

I know what you mean mate no probs.

Probably something to do with a fe more million people in manchester and london. Give it a few years!!

Al
Old May 27th 2007, 3:38 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Yep i ve got all my info now thanks so this thread can be destroyed

Al:thumbsu p:
Oh ahh sorry didnt mean to destroy

AFL is part of the cafe/pub conversation though as too is the A League (football - especially with a large european migrant population.

Hope you like

Greek food
Italian food
Asian food
French food
Good Coffee
Have I mentioned the wine yet?
Old May 27th 2007, 3:47 am
Take it easy

Brilliant, thaks alot for all the info. Feels like i like the feel of this place and you have been a great source for that.

We were off to brisbane after 6 months of fun and trying to see if it would work out in sydney. Brisbane always seemed like the make do. Someone i knowe talked me around to looking at Melbourne again so we started asking questions.

Ill defo get the rounds in at xmas when we will be there.

Beaches are unimportant really, i dont go to blackpool much now LOL but a stroll down the beach in the city now and again would be nice!

Off to bed now. 4.30am here. Once again thanks

Al

Take it easy

Good luck wherever you decide to go
Old May 27th 2007, 3:48 am
Take it easy

Errr....as much as it sticks in me throat, Collingwood are doing pretty good this year
Old May 27th 2007, 3:48 am
Banned

Oh ahh sorry didnt mean to destroy

AFL is part of the cafe/pub conversation though as too is the A League (football - especially with a large european migrant population.

Hope you like

Greek food
Italian food
Asian food
French food
Good Coffee
Have I mentioned the wine yet?
nah you didnt lol

i love all types of food, ive travelled lots and i want to be in the right place so i an pick and choose.

Im happy to look at AFL and the A league but ill be up at silly a.m. still following United. Are there any pubs that stay open for me in the area.

QLD has the "pig n whistle " pubs for this is there a similar chain or individual pubs that do the same in mel?

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.