Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Scene

4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Scene

Old May 27th 2007, 2:00 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Scene

Can anyone LIVING in melbourne please tell me of any young professional towns, suburbs or areas that i can further reasearch please that have a cafe/bar/restaurant cool edgey vibe.

It doesnt have to fill all this criteria but some of it would be good

Im not bothered if the people look like throwbacks to the 80s or whatever, just a nice vibe to thplace. Edgey and run down are ok if its a cool place to sit and have a beer or a great meal at an independant type cafe or eaterie and plenty of choice.

I liked south yarra for the few days i stayed there. I know its pretty expensive there to buy but are there any places nearby, up and coming or anywhere else for that matter outside of the inner city.

Somewhere like Brixton, Camden or Clapham in London, or West Didbury, Fallowfield or Beech Road,Chorlton in Manchester.

I dont want places full of chain pubs and cafes, but a few mixed in is cool.

St. Kilda has been mentioned but id like other areas named please. Or pm me if you dont want your area discovered.

We are a young professional couple without kids ad like to step out and around the corner for food, drink and a bit of live music.

We arent bothered about beaches or commute times as we dont need either of them at this stage of our lives thanks. If you know of a place name or several places to look for houses just reply.

If you dont or you want to add nonsense to this post then please pm me instead please.

Cheers

Alan

Last edited by alkristensen; May 27th 2007 at 2:32 am.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:21 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Fitzroy
Collingwood
Richmond
Hawthorn
South Melbourne
Port Melbourne
Carlton
Malvern
Prahran
Brunswick
North Melbourne/Kensington
Old May 27th 2007, 2:30 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4People who live in Melbourne-Can you name me areas for cool Bar /Cafe Culture Sc

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Fitzroy
Collingwood
Richmond
Hawthorn
South Melbourne
Port Melbourne
Carlton
Malvern
Prahran
Brunswick
North Melbourne/Kensington
Thankyou Thats brill info

A great start.

Which would you say is the most popular of these areas to go to for food beer music etc if you didnt live in these areas please?

Would you say elwood and Prahan(sp??) would fall into these categories too as a mate said they were either nice or this sort of place im after, i cant remeber, i just hav a list?

Thanks alot

Alan

Last edited by alkristensen; May 27th 2007 at 2:37 am.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:41 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Thankyou Thats brill info

A great start.

Which would you say is the most popular of these areas to go to for food beer music etc if you didnt live in these areas please?

Would you say elwood and Prahan(sp??) would fall into these categories too as a mate said they were either nice or this sort of place im after, i cant remeber, i just hav a list?

Thanks alot

Alan
They're all popular with pub's, club's and cafe's/restaurants. You could go to any and have a good night.

Prahran has Chapel street and is next to South Yarra. Lots of clubs and can get a bit rough on weekend nights, like any happening area.

Elwood is a bit quieter....leafy with more of a village feel. Good place to live if you're happy to travel down to St Kilda or Prahran for a night out (you can easily walk to St. Kilda from Elwood) but not exactly buzzing itself, if that's what you're looking for.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Shakmaty;4835923]They're all popular with pub's, club's and cafe's/restaurants. You could go to any and have a good night.

Prahran has Chapel street and is next to South Yarra. Lots of clubs and can get a bit rough on weekend nights, like any happening area.

yep i was ther last night and beat a couple of poms up

I dont know any areas that well, but i do work in richmond and i would lurrrrve to stay there , its just feels good. I love walking through it, and going through all the little streets off bridge road, the houses look so quaint

Last edited by Margaret3; May 27th 2007 at 2:48 am.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:48 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Margaret3

I dont know any areas that well, but i do work in richmond and i would lurrrrve to stay there , its just feels good.
D'you have a good night?

Richmond is pretty cool, but Fitzroy/Collingwood has better pubs
Old May 27th 2007, 2:49 am
Banned

They're all popular with pub's, club's and cafe's/restaurants. You could go to any and have a good night.

Elwood is a bit quieter....leafy with more of a village feel. Good place to live if you're happy to travel down to St Kilda or Prahran for a night out (you can easily walk to St. Kilda from Elwood) but not exactly buzzing itself, if that's what you're looking for.
Brilliant mate. Whats the state of housing around there. Are there plenty of rentals as ive heard of shortages in other places recently?

No prob if you dont, you have given me loads of info there to research.

Do you know the must avoids by anychance too please.

A beer or 2 in it for you when i get there.

Thanks

al
Old May 27th 2007, 2:53 am
Banned

[quote=Margaret3;4835924]

I dont know any areas that well, but i do work in richmond and i would lurrrrve to stay there , its just feels good. I love walking through it, and going through all the little streets off bridge road, the houses look so quaint
Good job im Danish not a bloody pom! LOL
That sounds great for area. Legoland isnt my cup of tea. Established areas with quaint and grit side by side are cool by me.

What do you all think of the weather there? (people who live there please not anyone elses opinion)

Al.x
Old May 27th 2007, 2:57 am
Banned

D'you have a good night?

Richmond is pretty cool, but Fitzroy/Collingwood has better pubs
What sort of pubs do you mean by good uns? Would you say oldie worldy with a snug and a pool room with a young trendy affluent crowd or big glass pitcher and piano type places?

Any help to create a picture of the vibe would be great.

Thanks

alk
Old May 27th 2007, 2:57 am
Take it easy

Brilliant mate. Whats the state of housing around there. Are there plenty of rentals as ive heard of shortages in other places recently?

No prob if you dont, you have given me loads of info there to research.

Do you know the must avoids by anychance too please.

A beer or 2 in it for you when i get there.

Thanks

al
Apparently, there is a rental shortage if you believe the papers....can't say I've noticed, haven't had any trouble finding rentals. I suppose it will vary depending on the areas and the seasons. If you want to find a rental in a touristy place like St. Kilda in the summer you'll have sod all chance. Move a bit away from the "happening" suburbs and there's still plenty of rentals. We live in Elsternwick, 10 minutes drive from St. Kilda, 10 minutes from Prahran, 15-20 minutes from Richmond, 20 minutes from Fitzroy/Collingwood/Carlton etc and have had no probs....and the cafe scene here is even good....and public transport to these places is pretty good too.

Must avoids? Well, depends what you're used to....if you've ever lived on a rough council housing estate in UK, then nothing here will seem that rough. There are some higher crime rate areas, but Melbourne is a big city and it's bound to happen. You could live in an apparently rough area and never see any crime in your life. You could live in an apparently good area and get burgled. I'd have no problems living anywhere as long as it wasn't too far out the CBD as that's near where I work. Remember Melbourne is geographically huge so the outlying suburbs are a good distance away.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:59 am
Take it easy

Good job im Danish not a bloody pom! LOL
That sounds great for area. Legoland isnt my cup of tea. Established areas with quaint and grit side by side are cool by me.

What do you all think of the weather there? (people who live there please not anyone elses opinion)

Al.x
Weather is very changeable....not too hot for too long and not too cold for too long. Perfect for me

Also not humid compared with Queensland for instance
Old May 27th 2007, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Shakmaty;4835929]D'you have a good night?

yep, quite a few turned up, didn't get a chance to chat to all , maybe catch them next time,
Old May 27th 2007, 3:03 am
Take it easy

What sort of pubs do you mean by good uns? Would you say oldie worldy with a snug and a pool room with a young trendy affluent crowd or big glass pitcher and piano type places?

Any help to create a picture of the vibe would be great.

Thanks

alk
All sorts of pubs:

-Small quaint pubs with fireplaces, decent beers, pool tables and nooks and crannies.

-Loud, trendy, bars.

-Sofa's and cocktails.

-Footy and pie.

Whatever you want....then on to the club of your choice....garage, acid, 60's, indie, rock, 80's, gay, dance, etc
Old May 27th 2007, 3:05 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Margaret3

yep, quite a few turned up, didn't get a chance to chat to all , maybe catch them next time,
Good one. Of course, I'm prejudiced, but a girls night out is about the scariest thing I can think of
Old May 27th 2007, 3:07 am
Banned

Weather is very changeable....not too hot for too long and not too cold for too long. Perfect for me

Also not humid compared with Queensland for instance
What time does it go cold at night if it does? And does the sun set a little later like 9-10pm some times of the year.

Your area sounds great. I dont mind being 10-20 mins from these places with the vibe. Dont want music and puke on my doorstep id rather walk/bus/tram/drive from a leafier street or 10 just back from all of it than it be in my face. Best of both worlds really.

Are there any of hese places mentioned except St.Kilda near a beach?

If so are they close enough to walk or get a quick bus tram train etc?

Thanks for all the info, i was only there for 4 days so we didnt get to see much outside sth yarra.

Do ou have many expat meets or an already establishd one around there?

Cheers
Al

Last edited by alkristensen; May 27th 2007 at 3:09 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.