Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

457 visa not bl***y entitled to on arrival acomodation!!!!

457 visa not bl***y entitled to on arrival acomodation!!!!

Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

darlo 2 adelaide will become famous soon enoughdarlo 2 adelaide will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down 457 visa not bl***y entitled to on arrival acomodation!!!!

To anyone that's listening

I'm having real worries now about emigrating to adelaide!!!

It seems to be one set of problems after another. Couldn't sell the house, haven't got a tenant yet, worried will never get a tenant, and now thought we'd be super organised and send off on arrival accommodation application via fax. All I can say is thank god we sent it so soon as now have been told we can't have it because of visa type. It's a sponsored visa and the hospital can't give us accommodation either due to having two kids and a husband. I know there'll be others who've managed this so any wise words (except take a chill pill) would be much appreciated.

Do rental companies deal with people from another country? I presume not!!

Any advice gratefully received.

:curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:: frown:
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:13 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa not bl***y entitled to on arrival acomodation!!!!

Originally Posted by darlo 2 adelaide

It seems to be one set of problems after another. Couldn't sell the house, haven't got a tenant yet, worried will never get a tenant, and now thought we'd be super organised and send off on arrival accommodation application via fax. All I can say is thank god we sent it so soon as now have been told we can't have it because of visa type. It's a sponsored visa and the hospital can't give us accommodation either due to having two kids and a husband. I know there'll be others who've managed this so any wise words (except take a chill pill) would be much appreciated.

to be honest trying to sort a rental out from the other side of the world isnt going to happen, most people book a holiday rental or hotel for a couple of weeks whilst they look for a renter that suits, alot of holday resorts will do a good deal for bookings over 4 weeks often cutting the weekly cost in half
( we did this in the goldcoast booked into a resort for 5 weeks to give us chance to look at schools and rentals ) the other thing is booking something unseen would frighten the crap out of me
most of us have booked a holiday from a brouchere only to wonder where the lovely place in the pictures was once we arrived, now its bad enough been stuck for two weeks in a crappy hotel but to have signed up for 6 months or more ( insert shuddering noise ) dosnt bear thinking about

my 2c worth

regards steve
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:26 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

There are really cheap motels here compared to UK and a lot of people get a cabin or van on a park same as a UK holiday caravan park when they first come while they sort rental out. Or, there's always camping nice cheap stop gap.

We did book a hotel room from UK while we waited for our rental we'd sorted from UK to be ready but didn't last more than 1 day in that then moved out to a proper holiday apartment for 2 weeks at the Gold Coast. Cost us $1,500 but was worth it.

Have you checked the classifieds on here for any rentals?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The chances of being successful for OAA are about the same as winning the lotto. There are a very limited number of units available for a massive number of applicants. Even if you were able to apply there is only a minuscule chance you would have got it anyway.

Many people stay in caravan parks when they first arrive. There is a very nice one in Glenelg where lots of people stay on arrival. The chances of you getting a rental from overseas is even less than being granted OAA, so I would suggest you take a deep breath and do a search of short term accommodations in Adelaide.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=darlo 2 adelaide;6878550]To anyone that's listening

like most people said, we stayed in a caravan park for 4 - 6 weeks (cant remember how long now), and found a rental in that time, caravan site was lovely, we treated it like a holiday,
However shortly after we left, i discovered the hosp i was working in was putting 457'ers from the u.k up there for 4weeks and paying there accom, they started doing this after i had already took a position there, however i hated the hosp and at least i could leave easily, i've not looked back and regretted that decision it was the worst nuring postion i have had in 25 years,

Have you thought about applying for p.r, perhaps you would be better suited to this,

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 16th 2008 at 12:10 am.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

I think you will find many people on here wouldn't have accommodation upon arrival and I'm sorry that this has been felt by you as a bit of a blow. Probably feels like the straw thats breaking the camels back with so much going on for you at the moment.

I really wish that we had done the short term holiday let thing when we arrived, it won't tie you down and will give you the opportunity to find something you like, try not to think of it as a hassle, more as a break whilst you look for something that suits.

Perhaps you could apply some pressure on the hospital to at least assist you?

Obstacles and things going wrong does seem to be very much a part of the visa / emigration process. You are not alone.

Have your rant then move on, it will be worth it in the end.

Sending you positive thoughts and wishing you luck.

Take care

Tracey
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You do what most other immigrants do and find your own accommodation. Book a holiday rental or caravan park for a few weeks. www.stayz.com.au has plenty of places. Then you begin the arduous task of finding a long terms rental.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hells teeth, most of us don't have jobs to come to let alone someone giving us accommodation when we arrive.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:54 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hells teeth, most of us don't have jobs to come to let alone someone giving us accommodation when we arrive.
I didn't know anything about this "on arrival accommodation" until now, looks like it is just an S.A. thing:

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._onarrival.php
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

It is a SA thing and I think aimed at state sponsored not employer sponsered.

Give www.wotif.com.au a go to they are pretty good too.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by markallwood
I didn't know anything about this "on arrival accommodation" until now, looks like it is just an S.A. thing:

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._onarrival.php
I think back in the day with the ten pound poms its was always offered and by hubby's relatives accounts not very nice at all. Haven't heard of anyone using recently though.

T

Last edited by Ozzy dog; Oct 16th 2008 at 4:10 am. Reason: missing word
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
I think back in the day with the ten pound poms its was always offered and by hubby's relatives accounts not very nice at all. Haven't heard of anyone using recently though.

T
Just had army nissan huts in those days. Assume things have improved somewhat
Old Oct 16th 2008, 7:24 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
to be honest trying to sort a rental out from the other side of the world isnt going to happen...
Actually, we've just done that. Well, not entirely: we used a relocation agent (who was bloody good) who did the legwork while we just browsed the REIWA/realestate.com.au listings and filled in long application forms. Cost us about a month's rent (for that they do a huge amount of work in sorting the house and school) but we have a house rented and can get important things like broadband set up before we arrive. In my case that's key because I have one week off and then have to be able to work from home.

So it is possible, but it costs you money. Depends how important it is to you.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 16th 2008, 7:47 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
Actually, we've just done that. Well, not entirely: we used a relocation agent (who was bloody good) who did the legwork while we just browsed the REIWA/realestate.com.au listings and filled in long application forms. Cost us about a month's rent (for that they do a huge amount of work in sorting the house and school) but we have a house rented and can get important things like broadband set up before we arrive. In my case that's key because I have one week off and then have to be able to work from home.

So it is possible, but it costs you money. Depends how important it is to you.

Cheers
b

excellent well done, but
theres always a but isnt there?
like i said earlier

most of us have booked a holiday from a brouchere only to wonder where the lovely place in the pictures was once we arrived, now its bad enough been stuck for two weeks in a crappy hotel but to have signed up for 6 months or more ( insert shuddering noise ) dosnt bear thinking about

you havnt seen the place ( apart from piccies ) or walked around the nieghbour hood yet.
and i do hope you get what you`ve paid for,
but personally i`d sooner use my own judgement than that of a realestate agent who lets be honest are only intrested in making a sale or in your case a rental

good luck

regards steve
Old Oct 16th 2008, 7:52 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
excellent well done, but
theres always a but isnt there?...but personally i`d sooner use my own judgement than that of a realestate agent who lets be honest are only intrested in making a sale or in your case a rental
Sorry, Steve, I probably explained it badly.

We did not use a real estate agent. We used a relocation agent, who works for us and spent time finding a house that would suit us. They're paid when they've done that, not before.

So yes, we haven't physically seen the house, but we've done everything else possible (pictures taken so we can see anything we've needed to see, long discussions about pros and cons).

And of course Google Earth/Street View (plus the Internet and this forum) can tell you a hell of a lot about a neighbourhood before you arrive. And it's a rental, not a purchase, so if we don't like it, we'll move.

Cheers
b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.