Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

35 degree heat and newborn in house?

Wikiposts

35 degree heat and newborn in house?

Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:42 pm
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough
Default 35 degree heat and newborn in house?

Hi there
We have a newborn in the house and the weather has gone from mild to reaching high 20's and on the weekend will be 35, we are unsure as to what to do in regards to clothing, wrapping etc, for the warmer weather. The baby is less than 2 weeks old. So far we have been putting him in long sleeve jumpsuit, wrapping him in a wrap and a bunny rug over his lower body but concerned this would be too warm with warmer weather now? We have an older style airconditoner in the lounge room, and can have a fan in the bedroom where baby sleeps but have heard this may not be a good idea with a baby? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 35 degree heat and newborn in house?

first off get a thermometer so you can check the temp actually in the room.
ideal is around 20 degrees - anything higher and you may find just a nappy or nappy plus cotton short sleeve/leg suit will do. just bear in mind that it may still get cold at night so have something warmer near at hand so you're not rummaging around in the middle of the night.

not sure why a fan isnt a good idea?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:17 pm
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bridie
first off get a thermometer so you can check the temp actually in the room.
ideal is around 20 degrees - anything higher and you may find just a nappy or nappy plus cotton short sleeve/leg suit will do. just bear in mind that it may still get cold at night so have something warmer near at hand so you're not rummaging around in the middle of the night.

not sure why a fan isnt a good idea?
Thanks very much for that, we have one of those gro bag eggs in the room that gives the tempeture they are really good, as if its too warm it gives a sad smiley face etc, just worried if we dressed him in say a short sleeve outfit and wrapped him this would be ok. not sure why it was about the fan just when in hospital they said not too have near baby...
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter was born in 39deg heat.

The rule is -baby needs one layer more than you (parent) need.

I used to use a fan, but turn it away from her- so she was not in a draught.
If it is really hot, put a damp cloth/towel in the room- helps temp drop a degree or two.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:59 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Bonds singlets and a nappy are good when they are awake. You can just sleep them in that and a wrap depending on the breeze however our one seems to relish the warmth and had the full outfit on! It depends on the baby. They will let you know if they are uncomfortable.

A bath is always a good cooler and prams can get very warm.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ivan, nappy and a singlet and a cotton wrap if need be. I think a trip to the clinic sister might be a good idea for you guys. I know they got rid of a lot of the suburban clinics a few years ago, but most large General Practices have a clinic sister that you can go see. She'll probably have a million brochures and some good old fashioned advice regarding all the things you guys need help with at the moment. My other advice to you is, just do what comes naturally, don't worry too much about what other people do or what you feel you "should" be doing. Good luck, you'll be fine.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Use your own common sense - you do have it, you just have baby brain Try something light and don't put bub too near a fan. If you feel him and he feels cool then put something over him, and visa versa. Whilst expert advice is useful, your baby is individual and whilst they can't control their temperature, you don't know yet if they are cold blooded (like me) or hot. Trial and error, you'll soon work out what he wants.

They are a lot stronger than they appear
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I guess if fingers and toes are cold then needs another layer and if too hot you will notice.

Trust your instincts - you do have them and you are worrying just like all new mums do.

i would put the fan on it its too hot, just not facing baby.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

and best way to check if they're too hot is touch their tummy as hands and feet can feel cold but their tummy can be red hot.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by interested16
Hi there
We have a newborn in the house and the weather has gone from mild to reaching high 20's and on the weekend will be 35, we are unsure as to what to do in regards to clothing, wrapping etc, for the warmer weather. The baby is less than 2 weeks old. So far we have been putting him in long sleeve jumpsuit, wrapping him in a wrap and a bunny rug over his lower body but concerned this would be too warm with warmer weather now? We have an older style airconditoner in the lounge room, and can have a fan in the bedroom where baby sleeps but have heard this may not be a good idea with a baby? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure how hot your house is but when my daughter was born in the UK there was a heat wave. No chance of air con. The house was like a sauna as we had a conservatory.

Basically she ended up in just a nappy, occasionaly I would swaddle with a thin sheet just to get her off to sleep and unwrap it immediately to avoid over heating. Now I know for sure the kids rooms here are around the same temperature as UK if it hits high 30's and that's with the air con running. I'm now going to give up buying summer pj's because they just get too hot.

Some things to think about for babies re heat. I'm not saying this is correct but just my experience. The great thing with parenting. Lots of conflicting advice!!

1) watch the number of wet nappies. the weight of a wet one is different. Pick up a fresh one to remind you what they feel like empty or place 1 piece of toilet tissue in to see the wee stain.
2) Feeding can be more regular and not last long. It may even appear that they are not feeding much at all but I remember speaking to the breast feeding people because my daughter got very fussy. They explained that babies sometimes during hots spells might just take the fore-milk to quench their thirst. This can leave them with gas. Exactly what was happening to my daughter. Felt like she didn't feed for three days but she was just having lots of little feeds.
3) It's better to be too cold than too hot but there is a limit to what you can do. (SIDS)
4) Try lying down if you are breast feeding. You'll both be cooler.

Hope its not too uncomfortable.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My children were both born in the middle of summer. My son during a 40+ degree heatwave and our house had no aircon. We brought him home from the hospital in a diaper and cotton t-shirt and socks on his little feet. For the most part he lived in just a onesy with a cotton receiving blanket over him.

The general rule is dress your baby like you would dress then add one layer. So, if you are comfortable in shorts & t-shirt dress your baby the same then put a light blanket over to prevent chills. Too cool is better than too hot, as a baby's body is not able to regulate their temperature very well and they run the risk of overheating.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

fingers and toes are not a good indicator- no temp control til 6 months!

Back of neck or tummy is the best indicator of too warm...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:47 pm
Best move in life

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My children were both born in the middle of summer. My son during a 40+ degree heatwave and our house had no aircon. We brought him home from the hospital in a diaper and cotton t-shirt and socks on his little feet. For the most part he lived in just a onesy with a cotton receiving blanket over him.

The general rule is dress your baby like you would dress then add one layer. So, if you are comfortable in shorts & t-shirt dress your baby the same then put a light blanket over to prevent chills. Too cool is better than too hot, as a baby's body is not able to regulate their temperature very well and they run the risk of overheating.
Thank you for all the information folks!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by interested16
Thank you for all the information folks!
So did you manage ok in the heat?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:11 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not talking freezing but too cold is better than too hot. To cold they should moan and groan and tell you they are uncomfortable. Too hot can be dangerous

My 2 born in summer I had fans on - pointed to the bottom of the cot - baby now doesnt like sleeping without the noise at night which is a real pain. I put long babygrow things on - except mid summer when he had shortys. Now its long suit and fan - then about midnight I go in and put a blanket on. Mid summer I didnt put anything on him.

I am also a bit of a believer that baby is best in my room nearby so I can check them regularly and feel their feet etc - a very good friend of mine lost their little boy same age as my middle child to SIDS and it was just awful.

Vivienne