3 nations

Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 nations

Originally Posted by fish.01
No, why?
Thank God. I wondered what "they're not part of Britain" referred to, that's all.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Thank God. I wondered what "they're not part of Britain" referred to, that's all.
they're talking about NI....you know those British people who are not part of Britain but just the UK of GB and NI
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

they're talking about NI....you know those British people not part of Britain
Thank heaven for small mercies, eh?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all very complicated When I was in the UK a university educated, articulate, seemingly switched on Londoner in his thirties was telling me that the whole of Ireland was still under Westminster rule. Funny how long some news takes to get through
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

It's all very complicated When I was in the UK a university educated, articulate, seemingly switched on Londoner in his thirties was telling me that the whole of Ireland was still under Westminster rule. Funny how long some news takes to get through
Ain't that the truth. Check out some of the posts on this website for views out of the dark ages.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
I think it is a common source of confusion for them but to be fair if you took your average Brit and asked him to tell the difference between someone from Canada and someone from the US he probably wouldn't be able to do it.
Or your average Australian (sorry to compare Brits and Aussies)...the amount of times I've been asked what part of the States I'm from since I moved here...I think only one person got it right and he admitted he was just guessing (50/50, hey).
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
You speak for yerself lady!
Actually I'm speaking for a lot of Aussies, certainly the majority that I know - thats why the sentence says "I don't think THEY really care" = knew someone would take it the wrong way
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

While talking about the use of Pom I agree that some don't know the difference...for the large amount that do know the basics I usually hear it used like this:

Obviously English = Pom
Welsh usually thought of as English = Sheep Worrier
Obviously Scottish = Tight Wad
Obviously Irish = Drunk
Northern English = Whippet Fancier
Just some further clarification for you.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:06 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just some further clarification for you.
For the zillionth time, Scottish people in general are NOT tight wads. Bullshit lie concocted by the English. ****ing hell, when I lived in south Devon - I couldn't believe how tight people were.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Which 3 of the 4 did you have in mind? Dont forget the Irish!
Why not?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Japonica
Or your average Australian (sorry to compare Brits and Aussies)...the amount of times I've been asked what part of the States I'm from since I moved here...I think only one person got it right and he admitted he was just guessing (50/50, hey).
I work on the theory that if they loudly and randomly yell "yee haw" then they're from Calgary
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well in Ormiston (near Cleveland, south of Brisbane), you are welcomed like a long lost son if you have Scots ancestory.

Ormiston house has an open day a few times a year, and it has kilted bagpipe marching bands, and all the old dears on the stalls are Scots. As soon as you mention you were born in Scotland they are all over you.

One lady explained to me that the original 'Lord Ormiston' (Lord Hope from Scotland) set up Ormiston house on Moreton Bay because the view reminded him so much of the view across the Firth of Forth from South QueensFerry near Edinburgh. Now Ormiston is a mecca for Scots. I'm not joking, check Ormiston House open days, you'll meet 1000's of Scots.

JTL
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

From my experiences, the Celts are looked upon more fondly in general.

Scottish or Irish ancestry seems to be more common or at least more sought after in Australia. A lot of the early explorers and pioneers of Australia were Scottish, especially down here in Victoria, but also a lot of Irish were pioneers. The Irish were one of the most important group of people in Australia's early days and therefore have influenced a lot of the Australian culture.

People here are almost always more proud if they find out they have Celtic roots. Don't ask me why but it is pretty much a fact.

I seem to have more Scottish ancestry than from anywhere else from what my family has uncovered.

-On a side note, Just a question for anyone who might know.

Are many of the miners in Devon and Cornwall going back to the early 1600s, of which many of them and their families basically stayed in the same villages for centuries, likely to be of Celtic origin?

I have traced one side of the family, (direct line) back this far. They were all miners and mine managers in Cornwall and Devon and came out to Victoria during the 1850s gold rush. They all stayed in the same towns and villages way back until at least the 1600s. I know Cornwall and Devon are historically Celtic areas with their own language etc.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Nov 30th 2010 at 7:08 am.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Are many of the miners in Devon and Cornwall going back to the early 1600s, of which many of them and their families basically stayed in the same villages for centuries, likely to be of Celtic origin?

I have traced one side of the family, (direct line) back this far. They were all miners and mine managers in Cornwall and Devon and came out to Victoria during the 1850s gold rush. They all stayed in the same towns and villages way back until at least the 1600s. I know Cornwall and Devon are historically Celtic areas with their own language etc.
Yes, but but apparently the Cornish language died out a few years ago when the last speaker of it died. They were Celts, as were the Welsh, the Scotti (Scots) and the Irish.

The rest of the Island has been invaded by Normans, Vikings, Angles, Saxons , Jutes, and Romans, in reverse order .

Bastards the lot of them. .

JTL
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:46 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes, but but apparently the Cornish language died out a few years ago when the last speaker of it died. They were Celts, as were the Welsh, the Scotti (Scots) and the Irish.

The rest of the Island has been invaded by Normans, Vikings, Angles, Saxons , Jutes, and Romans, in reverse order .

Bastards the lot of them. .

JTL
rather that than run around naked, painted blue shouting FREEDOM

after all what have the romans ever done for us?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.