3 nations

Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:42 am
Banned

dazmurray is just really nicedazmurray is just really nicedazmurray is just really nicedazmurray is just really nicedazmurray is just really nicedazmurray is just really nicedazmurray is just really nicedazmurray is just really nice
Default 3 nations

Out of the 3 nations of Britain who woulld you say the aussies accept a wee bit easier? Do you thing it is due to country of birth etc?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:11 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 nations

Originally Posted by dazmurray
Out of the 3 nations of Britain who woulld you say the aussies accept a wee bit easier? Do you thing it is due to country of birth etc?
Which 3 of the 4 did you have in mind? Dont forget the Irish!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Huge number of Aussies can't tell the difference, or don't even know there IS a difference. Aussie friend of mine the other day kept telling me about two "Ïrish" guys she'd met, turned out they were Geordies. Another a while back said it was odd that the Scots and the Welsh have the same accent. I have a southern English accent, and am sick of being called a Kiwi.

To be honest i don't think they really care where the majority of us are from, we are all classed as Poms, end of.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:28 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Which 3 of the 4 did you have in mind? Dont forget the Irish!
they're not part of Britain

UK yes, Britain no
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:53 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN

UK yes, Britain no
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:02 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Huge number of Aussies can't tell the difference, or don't even know there IS a difference. Aussie friend of mine the other day kept telling me about two "Ïrish" guys she'd met, turned out they were Geordies. Another a while back said it was odd that the Scots and the Welsh have the same accent. I have a southern English accent, and am sick of being called a Kiwi.

To be honest i don't think they really care where the majority of us are from, we are all classed as Poms, end of.
You speak for yerself lady!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I agree I think it is how you act rather than where you are from that matters to Aussies.I think it would be rather sad to judge people from where there are from rather than what they are like as individuals.Sue.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the Australian commentators on the cricket did a heavy "ey-up" Yorkshire accent the other day for comic effect and his colleague then commented on the Scottish accent he had just attempted, so I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll add that they are still better at this than the Americans, one of whom once asked me if Scotland was an island.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
One of the Australian commentators on the cricket did a heavy "ey-up" Yorkshire accent the other day for comic effect and his colleague then commented on the Scottish accent he had just attempted, so I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll add that they are still better at this than the Americans, one of whom once asked me if Scotland was an island.
Don't some Americans think the English sound like Aussies(Only fools and Horses)then what do the Aussie sound like to them?Sue.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:28 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petensue
Don't some Americans think the English sound like Aussies(Only fools and Horses)then what do the Aussie sound like to them?Sue.
Certainly from my time in the US, almost without fail, Americans took my Mancunian accent to be an Australian one.... but then again I have no idea of the difference between Florida and Washington State accents either.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petensue
I think it is a common source of confusion for them but to be fair if you took your average Brit and asked him to tell the difference between someone from Canada and someone from the US he probably wouldn't be able to do it.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN

UK yes, Britain no
and to be really pedantic the other 3 aren't nations
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
and to be really pedantic the other 3 aren't nations
Did someone upthread say Scotland and Wales were not part of Britain?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

While talking about the use of Pom I agree that some don't know the difference...for the large amount that do know the basics I usually hear it used like this:

Obviously English = Pom
Welsh usually thought of as English = Pom
Obviously Scottish = Scottish
Obviously Irish = Irish
Northern English = Sometimes English, Scottish or Irish
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Did someone upthread say Scotland and Wales were not part of Britain?
No, why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.