Wikiposts

240v ?

Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:37 am
Just Joined

wil1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 240v ?

can u just cut the plugs off of engilsh tools and attatch the type of plug they use in oz? or will it not work. Im askin because iv got load of tools in 240 volt and i heard that its the same volt over in oz, so i need to know if i have to buy all new tools thank you
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:38 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 240v ?

Originally Posted by wil1985
can u just cut the plugs off of engilsh tools and attatch the type of plug they use in oz? or will it not work. Im askin because iv got load of tools in 240 volt and i heard that its the same volt over in oz, so i need to know if i have to buy all new tools thank you
YES
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:38 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

exactly the same mate
240v at 50hz

now lets sit back and wait for the you carnt do your own plug brigade
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:41 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
exactly the same mate
240v at 50hz

now lets sit back and wait for the you carnt do your own plug brigade
lololol

Aussie plugs are a bitch to fit hey !!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:46 am
Just Joined

thanks so much you mad my day! my dads a sparky so ill let him do them then lol thanks again
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:47 am
Just Joined

they do def use 240 still building sites over there dont they?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:57 am
Banned

they do def use 240 still building sites over there dont they?
110v is not used on sites here whatsoever.

However, on sites you must get all electrical equipment tagged.

Quite Ironic, that an inspector must tag and state your equipment is 100%, and then you plug it into socket in bathroom, and drape extension cord thru a puddle...

Makes me laugh
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The voltage is a nominal 240v, but mine rarely goes below 245v. Gawd: I've just looked at it and it was 271v for a second before dropping back to 251v. The minimum today apparently was 250v. These figures are the highest I've ever seen, but 245v plus is common.

It's no wonder the rate of failure of bulbs is so high.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:44 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The voltage is a nominal 240v, but mine rarely goes below 245v. Gawd: I've just looked at it and it was 271v for a second before dropping back to 251v. The minimum today apparently was 250v. These figures are the highest I've ever seen, but 245v plus is common.

Tell me about it, I rarely get it below 250, It regularly kills transformers for charging my mp3 player etc. If I leave anykind of trickle charge type device pluged in for any length of time, it doesn't take long to kill it. I'm on my 3rd set of mp3 Lion batteries in 3 years here.

Also for some reason my long life bulbs last nowhere near as long as they did back home.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
lololol

Aussie plugs are a bitch to fit hey !!
They are shite. I actually think they have a design flaw.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:48 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They are shite. I actually think they have a design flaw.
Have you tried fitting 2 power adaptors into a dual socket? You need a hammer to help. Then if you stand on a plug you bend the blinking pins. Oh and did I mention the switches on a power socket are too close to the plug, this has to be a design flaw as when theres a plug fitted if you have homer simpson fingers it's not easy to use the switch.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Wow, that's high. It might be a NSW thing as we get a rock solid constant 400/230V.

Last edited by Amazulu; Oct 11th 2007 at 12:54 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by arkon
Have you tried fitting 2 power adaptors into a dual socket? You need a hammer to help. Then if you stand on a plug you bend the blinking pins. Oh and did I mention the switches on a power socket are too close to the plug, this has to be a design flaw as when theres a plug fitted if you have homer simpson fingers it's not easy to use the switch.
I think it's an overly complicated setup. You get plug-tops where the cable comes in from the side or from the bottom. Try plugging one of each in a double socket outlet. Also the cable grip in an Aussie plug-top is shite and look at the front of the plug-top - the flex cores are almost exposed - it's a terrible design.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:23 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help feeling that Oz and NZ plugs aredesigned the way they are just to be different to anywhere else - the NIH syndrome. With the common use of RCCBs everywhere, certainly the UK fused plug is a bit overkill, but I did appreciate the robustness of them. I think the best compromise between manufacturing robustness, ease of use and especially being able to plug in all those transformers and chargers is the US system for all its faults.

We specified HPM "Como" fittings for our build: the switches are 2" square for us oldies and the sockets are self-switching, with a red LED when something's plugged in. That seems very strange, since we now have a houseful of little red lights all burning juice.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

my dads a sparky so ill let him do them then lol thanks again
NOT till he's got his licence he won't!

Did you know that you HAVE to be a qualified / licenced electrician to change a plug in Australia??

(there, out of the way now)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.