Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

2 Go or Not 2 Go....that is the question!

2 Go or Not 2 Go....that is the question!

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:56 am
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy 2 Go or Not 2 Go....that is the question!

Ok, I haven't been on here for a while...months really. Me and the kids came back from the reccie last April (OH couldn't come) and I was overwhelmed. I LOVED it, it's so far away, but I loved it etc etc. Am sure part of it was I was finishing my degree and I couldn't cope with the decision making. So now? I finished my degree last Sept (still reasonably mentally stable ), celebrated A LOT! Managed to get a part time job (am a midwife) in a local hospital and have settled there well.
Now my life is calm and what should rear its ugly head...the voices. Yep the 'we should go to Oz' voices... OMG! We hadn't decided not to go just to not think about it. There were a few things about the possible job offer that weren't right - mainly I had to work full time and that was never the plan, especially if we emigrated as I wanted to help the kids adjust.
Anyway...this weekend the kids (now 12 and 9) started saying - are we going to go? and STOP THE PRESS, my son (12) said I think we should go I think it would be great! (He spent the whole reccie trip saying 'I don't wanna live here' - until I threatened him with violence and reminded him it was an adult decision)...so where am I going with this? It's my OH! He is really reluctant. He used to be quite up for it and now...he is less than keen. He HATES his job, still works 6-7 days a week, in London, commuting 2-3 hours a day. He has little time with any of us and wants to sleep most of his time off he is so knackered [we have looked into alternative work here -it's not an option]. He has no qualms about leaving family and friends. He just says that he can't give up a well paid job for the unknown, that he wouldn't get an I.T. job in Brisbane as he has no degree (just 25 years experience with U.K. government - HE WON'T EVEN LOOK!), that if we sell then we will never be able to afford another house in the UK...etc etc. He stopped short of saying he is too old (he is 46, I am 35) So do we just give it up? After all the research, time and investment, emotionally, mentally and financially?
I don't wanna bully, manipulate or push him - that wouldn't be right. I just feel SO FRUSTRATED! It's been left that I told him that he had to decided what he wanted to do, that I would stand by him if he said NO. But that I needed to make a decision one way or another and get on with my life. But if we are going I wanna be gone by next summer (Son starts GCSEs that Sept and daughter finishes primary, I will have worked for 2 years post qualifying). He knows we would like to go (with cat and now a small dog too, in tow)... He knows all the stats that the majority of expats stay in OZ etc. Now I just need to be patient or should I just wake up a small the coffee he doesn't wanna go!? Please help, any advice? I am devastated that my OZ dreams might be over
I hope this doesn't come across like I'm a bitchy old bag of a wife. I love my husband to bits and just want a better life for all of us...and I think Oz is it!
Kind regards to all of you
Babycatcher
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:00 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Go or Not 2 Go....that is the question!

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Ok, I haven't been on here for a while...months really. Me and the kids came back from the reccie last April (OH couldn't come) and I was overwhelmed. I LOVED it, it's so far away, but I loved it etc etc. Am sure part of it was I was finishing my degree and I couldn't cope with the decision making. So now? I finished my degree last Sept (still reasonably mentally stable ), celebrated A LOT! Managed to get a part time job (am a midwife) in a local hospital and have settled there well.
Now my life is calm and what should rear its ugly head...the voices. Yep the 'we should go to Oz' voices... OMG! We hadn't decided not to go just to not think about it. There were a few things about the possible job offer that weren't right - mainly I had to work full time and that was never the plan, especially if we emigrated as I wanted to help the kids adjust.
Anyway...this weekend the kids (now 12 and 9) started saying - are we going to go? and STOP THE PRESS, my son (12) said I think we should go I think it would be great! (He spent the whole reccie trip saying 'I don't wanna live here' - until I threatened him with violence and reminded him it was an adult decision)...so where am I going with this? It's my OH! He is really reluctant. He used to be quite up for it and now...he is less than keen. He HATES his job, still works 6-7 days a week, in London, commuting 2-3 hours a day. He has little time with any of us and wants to sleep most of his time off he is so knackered [we have looked into alternative work here -it's not an option]. He has no qualms about leaving family and friends. He just says that he can't give up a well paid job for the unknown, that he wouldn't get an I.T. job in Brisbane as he has no degree (just 25 years experience with U.K. government - HE WON'T EVEN LOOK!), that if we sell then we will never be able to afford another house in the UK...etc etc. He stopped short of saying he is too old (he is 46, I am 35) So do we just give it up? After all the research, time and investment, emotionally, mentally and financially?
I don't wanna bully, manipulate or push him - that wouldn't be right. I just feel SO FRUSTRATED! It's been left that I told him that he had to decided what he wanted to do, that I would stand by him if he said NO. But that I needed to make a decision one way or another and get on with my life. But if we are going I wanna be gone by next summer (Son starts GCSEs that Sept and daughter finishes primary, I will have worked for 2 years post qualifying). He knows we would like to go (with cat and now a small dog too, in tow)... He knows all the stats that the majority of expats stay in OZ etc. Now I just need to be patient or should I just wake up a small the coffee he doesn't wanna go!? Please help, any advice? I am devastated that my OZ dreams might be over
I hope this doesn't come across like I'm a bitchy old bag of a wife. I love my husband to bits and just want a better life for all of us...and I think Oz is it!
Babycatcher

What a lovely post. Very honest. As one who was not convinced of the move and really resisted in the bedding down phase, I think that you need to ask yourself whether you are able to keep your family 'up' in the first year of the toughest year of your life potentially, over here.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:02 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Try talking to him whilst holding a frying pan........men tend to notice you're talking to them then.....LOL
Seriously though.........maybe suggest starting the visa process......if you get your visa granted then you can honestly say you could go to Oz if you wanted to then, rather than hearing voices for the next few years!!!!
One life you got......so grab every opportunity with both hands and never let go
Good luck,
Beth x x
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

Babycatcher
I hate to quote Ian Botham, but life is not a rehersal. This is the real thing. We pontificated for years. We made the move last December and I still pinch myself every day.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Richard007 will become famous soon enough

all the above are true but dont worry about making a "wrong decision". theres no such thing. Its just a diffrent experience......and then... you will all die so theres your answer really
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by keenymeeny
I hate to quote Ian Botham, but life is not a rehersal. This is the real thing. We pontificated for years. We made the move last December and I still pinch myself every day.
hear hear love it here! best move we ever made! we took a big chance and its paying off!!! Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Try talking to him whilst holding a frying pan........men tend to notice you're talking to them then.....LOL
Seriously though.........maybe suggest starting the visa process......if you get your visa granted then you can honestly say you could go to Oz if you wanted to then, rather than hearing voices for the next few years!!!!
One life you got......so grab every opportunity with both hands and never let go
Good luck,
Beth x x
I fully agree! We are in a similar position, couple-wise anyway. First he wanted, now he changed his mind. I had always said that I would stand by him, he actually uses most of the explanations your partner uses, but I got to a point where I want it so badly that I think our relationship would suffer considerably if I don't bully him into it. I don't want to wake up in 5 years, in the UK, totally resenting him for not giving it a go at least. So as Beth suggested we now decided on just starting the visa process once I'm qualified, make a reccie trip (if we can afford to) to validate and then take it from there.
I felt for a long time like the moaning girlfriend with unrealistic expectations, but by now have done a lot of research and found more and more points to argue that it is feasible. And even if his job will pay less than over here, I argue that the whole point is to get out of the whole making money-spending money-no family quality time routine and that it will be nice to see how we handle this challenge.
Some points our partners make a re valid, but I really belief that I would regret it far more not to go and would find it harder to cope with this constant "what if", than to go over, dislike it it and come back.
Good luck!
Mel
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Good luck,
Beth x x
You have to be certain of what you want, OZ is great, a total different life, thats the prob for a lot of folk coming over, some for the good some for the bad, some things are more expensive, some are cheaper. I left a job after 32 years in the UK, I`m still looking for work, been offered some jobs but money and hours not suitale..Not expectin UK money but some are takin the piss.You have to get used to travellin from burb to burb,, but fuel is cheap up to now. I`ll have to go down the mine if dunt get sortrd. After all this rant I int goin back to Uk if I can help it , one more thing ale is bloody dear but on th positive my liver will be feeling a lot more better

keep the dream n don`t have nitemares

YP

Perth n luvin it
Gizza job I can do that
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:06 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolamoon
You have to be certain of what you want, OZ is great, a total different life, thats the prob for a lot of folk coming over, some for the good some for the bad, some things are more expensive, some are cheaper. I left a job after 32 years in the UK, I`m still looking for work, been offered some jobs but money and hours not suitale..Not expectin UK money but some are takin the piss.You have to get used to travellin from burb to burb,, but fuel is cheap up to now. I`ll have to go down the mine if dunt get sortrd. After all this rant I int goin back to Uk if I can help it , one more thing ale is bloody dear but on th positive my liver will be feeling a lot more better

keep the dream n don`t have nitemares

YP

Perth n luvin it
Gizza job I can do that
Glad to see you're settling in to Ozzie life well
I'm sure you'll get a good job out there soon enough.........just don't become a wine taster....LOL
Beth x x
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:02 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Babycatcher
Im in a simlar situation.Im nearly at the end of my degree and soooooo cant wait after this i want to set the wheeels in motion but my oh is in two minds whether he want to go or not.So im chipping away at him very slowly...he does ask the odd question leaving me wondering "mmmm hat least hes thinkin' about it". Saying that, his mate come round the other day with a friend he was saying his niece goes out with an aussi and he said there all racist in oz (my oh is afro carribean) i was nooooooooooo anyway he said "ill get him to phone you tonight"...so i spoke to the aussie guy he ask where i wanna go i said Adeliade hes like" dont go....its boring youll die of boredom" i asked how old he was he said 24!! so after that i thought ohhh sod off youre a baby.....we talked abit longer him being all nedative about oz me defending the reasons why i wanna go blah blah. This incident had just set me back nearly 2 frikken years with regards to my oh ! im not quite back to suare one but nearly !So ill carry on chipping away again!Buy hey,kids are all up for it.so my advice is to chip chip away very sloooooooowly though.

Sorry for blabbing on.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:15 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. I have calmed down a bit. My best friend said I shoud tell him to get a bl@@dy grip! Anyway the long and short of it is that I said I felt that is was NOT OK to decide about whether or not to go without doing real research about job prospects etc... The jury is still out...fingers crossed for me guys.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Glad to see you're settling in to Ozzie life well
I'm sure you'll get a good job out there soon enough.........just don't become a wine taster....LOL
Beth x x
Hi Beth and Andrew, Malc got a job today!!!!!! Wheeeeeeee!!!!! Things can only get better
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keenymeeny

Surely the Ian botham quote was "walk you b@@@@@d "

M@@@
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kangy-roo is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck,
Beth x x
This is good advise (the Visa bit, although I might try the frying pan out ). It was me that has always held back from moving to Australia. I worry about leaving our family, and worry that we would be just chasing a dream. However when it got to just before my OH's 44th Birthday I agreed that it wouldn't harm to apply for the Visa, so that at least we would have a choice. Since then I would say that I am probably as driven by the dream as much as my hubby and boys (12 and 10). If nothing else we are about to start an adventure. I can see your OH's view in that he is the main bread winner and he is probably providing very nicely for his family, it takes alot of thought before you risk your families security. However life should not be all about work, and from what I gather that is something the Aussies have got sussed.

Good luck whatever you decide,
Alex
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kangy-roo
This is good advise (the Visa bit, although I might try the frying pan out ). It was me that has always held back from moving to Australia. I worry about leaving our family, and worry that we would be just chasing a dream. However when it got to just before my OH's 44th Birthday I agreed that it wouldn't harm to apply for the Visa, so that at least we would have a choice. Since then I would say that I am probably as driven by the dream as much as my hubby and boys (12 and 10). If nothing else we are about to start an adventure. I can see your OH's view in that he is the main bread winner and he is probably providing very nicely for his family, it takes alot of thought before you risk your families security. However life should not be all about work, and from what I gather that is something the Aussies have got sussed.

Good luck whatever you decide,
Alex

You have to work beacause Oz is the land of Kerching "Hello " "Oh Hello" Kerching Kerching be prepared to payu pay pay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.